1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seeing the aftermath

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by TheTrueReview, Jun 23, 2012.

1. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    I was at a local golf club this morning watching my little nephew have his usual Saturday lesson. Following the lesson, when we were having the BBQ breakfast that is put on, I saw a group of older golfers walking past. One of them was being assisted as he was holding a white towel to his face which had the tell-tale red patches of blood on it. He was taken to a local medical clinic for attention.

I understand that he had been on the left hand side of a particular fairway when one of his playing partners (on the right hand side of the fairway) snap hooked his ball diagonally across & hit the guy in the side of the face.

It made me wonder how many near misses there must be on a daily basis & how dangerous golf can be. I had wished that every clown that thinks its fun to hit up on the group ahead had been there to see the outcome of ball vs human being.

Comments? Similar experiences?

2. SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno El Tigre Blanco

I worked at a course in which a guy got hit in the head. Horrible course design. Next tee box is literally 10 yards beyond the previous green of a par 3. Inevitable, really. He was carted off in an ambulance. I did not see the damage.

I've seen pictures of arms that had been hit by golf balls, and whoa-my-god. The entire arm was purple. Crazy.

3. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

United States United States
    One time me and some friends jumped on a course we had never played before. On the back 9 we came to a short par 4, probably around 300 yards. What we didn't know was that the next tee was about 270 yards out, hidden to the right of our fairway. One of the guys in our group bit a big block that had a little fade to it. We didn't yell fore because we had no idea there was a tee box there. It was ugly. Guy got hit in the forehead and by the time we got there he had a towel on his head and his shirt was covered in blood. It was a bad deal, lucky it didn't kill him.

4. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that more gallery members don't get hurt at professional tournaments. They are so close to the action. Especially on the tee-box. I couldnt imagine the damage to someone if a pro accidentally snap-hooked one off the tee.

5. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    I've also seen pros hit a cold shank off the tee. It's probably only a matter of time till someone wears one.

6. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

This is me at the hospital in January this year. One hour earlier I was playing on a par three, about to select a club from my bag when THUMP, the next thing I knew I was on the ground. The group behind were playing an adjacent par five. One of the group pulled his 2nd or 3rd and we didn't hear a shout. It really shook me up in the following hours / days, as a few inches either way would have cost me an eye or hit me in the temple and perhaps taken me out of the gene pool. So in some respects I was lucky. Huge amount of blood from that part of the head.

If you look closely enough you can see Callaway!
    025.JPG