• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Senior Flex for my wife?.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Hey people,

Wife is thinking about getting a new driver, and I'm wondering what you guys think about her going with a Senior Flex, and really is there much difference between Senior and Women flex?, The senior might need to be cut down an inch for her, but thats fine as she likes the pink winn grips. She's a 15hcp and hits her 12deg driver (darn nice ball flight) about 200-220. Also, whats the lowest in loft you people would suggest for someone with a swing speed in that area?.

Thanks.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The senior might need to be cut down an inch for her, but thats fine as she likes the pink winn grips.
Not sure what the grips have to do with it, but cutting it down 1" is going to make it a stiffer shaft. Actually have found when my wife was fitted for grips, in general the grips for ladies are to small and actually they may require bigger grips than men. If you are having it done by a professional, he can add weight back to the head to not only account for the change in Swingweight, but somewhat for the flex as well.

All depends on her swing. I hit my 12* driver about 220-230 and because of my tempo am in between a Regular and Stiff Flex. My wife hits a 11* Driver about 190, has a real slow tempo so a ladies flex works, could likely benefit from more loft but her attitude is why F' with what works and she is happy with the results. She hits her Driver more consistent than I do, so I will be the last to tell her what may help. I leave that up to the clubmaker. The other consideration is the weight of the shaft. Usually a womens shaft, while more flexible is also a bit lighter. The shafts on my wifes woods are 55gr.

So if she hits a 12* Driver about 200-220, then she may be in the right catagory. Although she could gain distance by possibly going to 13.5* or so depending on her swing. I could likely do the same? As far as the shaft, depending on her tempo it may be right if she has a fairly slow tempo. If not, she could require a much stiffer shaft if she hits it that far.

I use Stiff shafts in my FW's because I get real quick with them. I use a Reg in my driver, but could likely use Stiff with my tempo. The Reg forces me to watch my tempo. She hits the ball about as far as I do, so she may require a stiffer shaft which could still be found in a lighter weight should she prefer.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
... would also have to ask. If she hits it that nicely, why is she looking to change??? Seems if she plans to do such, it would be a mistake to not talk to a club maker.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Well, she is just tired of her driver, and wants something to help blame a few misses on... We've all been there. She's currently hitting a Callaway ERC fusion, with a stock system 50 shaft, (I assume thats a 50g). Here's a link to her swing.

SwingAcademy.com

Her miss right now is an in-consistant ball flight, sometimes a hook, sometimes a slice... Still in play, but maybe her shaft is too flexable and light already... I have no idea, she usually hits it very well, and seems to have gained about 10-20yrds this year, just by swinging a lot more solid and getting to play a lot of golf.

Thanks for the help.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I dunno, maybe she only hits it 180-190... yardage markers are always mis-leading...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
She swings a lot harder than my wife does. I'm by no means a expert on ladies flex shafts, but I've built a few and know they come in 2 flexes. I'd say she certainly needs the stiffer of the 2 ladies flexes. And she may very well be able to handle a Senior flex.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
It seems like it is easy to find a good deal on Senior flex drivers out there.

I forgot they have a swing fitting deal at a new Nevada Bobs on PEI. I'll get her to hit a few balls on that sometime soon. I'm sure she swings harder on the course then she would in an indoor simulator.

LTCMARCPAUL

More demanding player's clubs / better golfer!
Jun 24, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Country
Because ALDILASTORE is practially GIVING AWAY their NV and NVS shafts if you take them in PINK--I have changed my shafts and I am about to change my wife's shafts too. I used to think I had to have a stiff shaft when my swing was 105. After getting a few vertebrae fused (thanks Army) the stiff shafts were hurting my back. I put PINK NV's in my G10 FW's in 75 R and I love them! I am putting a VS PROTO 65R in my V2 Rapture driver tonite, and a PINK 55A NVS in my wife's V2 Rapture. I'm not sure what to put in her V2 Rapture 4W... Should I stay with 55A or try to find the NVS in 65A?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Should I stay with 55A or try to find the NVS in 65A?
Aldila does not make a NVS 65 in an A.
Aldila

edit 1 - Could maybe add a 10g TLP weight to the butt of the shaft, may feel similar. Could then take it out if it doesn't work for you.

oops, they only make the TLP's in 8 or 12

LTCMARCPAUL

More demanding player's clubs / better golfer!
Jun 24, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Country
Probably why i can't find oone... I play 65 in my driver and 75 in my FWs. Is that common or do most golfers play the same profile in all their woods? I play NVS 85S's in my hybrids.

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
Looks like she shouldn't have any trouble handling a senior flex. She looks tall too so length shouldn't be a problem. The firmer flex should help with the inconsistancy too.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Probably why i can't find oone... I play 65 in my driver and 75 in my FWs. Is that common or do most golfers play the same profile in all their woods? I play NVS 85S's in my hybrids.
Most of what I see is people keep the shaft weights consistent for a consistent feel among similar clubs, like say FW's. Not to say it couldn't be varied. More a matter of wanting similar feel for me. I acually use TLP weights in the butt of the shafts on my woods. When I did so, probably more out of curiousity at the time, one of the things I did was to actually get the over all weight of the clubs. The overall weight of the FW's were actually identical already, the driver was 10grams lighter, so I used 10grams more in my driver to equal them.

Again, this was more out of curiousity, and just seemed like a logical thing to do to have them feel consistent. I do have the same shaft in my driver as well, but have seen that it is more common that people will vary these. Although this may also be in part, that stock shafts vary among clubs and manufacturers.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.