• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Server Errors

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The site is having server issues.

No idea when it will be fixed.

Thanks for your patience

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Thanks Sling,
FYI, for everyone else until Sling gets a handle it, I have found that with the Database errors messages, that if you clear your browser cache out it will refresh and let you back in more times than not.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks Sling,
FYI, for everyone else until Sling gets a handle it, I have found that with the Database errors messages, that if you clear your browser cache out it will refresh and let you back in more times than not.

How do you clear your browser cache?

Yours Truly,

A technial Dumbass

Your reply would be appreciated.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
How do you clear your browser cache?

Yours Truly,

A technial Dumbass

Your reply would be appreciated.
It depends on your browser. I will assume you are using Internet Explorer, which I stay away from at all costs.

For Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, and Windows XP (maybe 5.0 as well, and Win98 as well, can't remember), simply click on Start on the bottom left of your desktop, right click on the Internet Explorer icon (should be at the top left), select "Internet Properties" from the drop down menu. It should pop up to the "General" tab and you will see an option for "Delete Files", click on it and also check the "Delete all offline content" as well when the box pops up. Click OK. It may take a few seconds, and the hour glass will go away when it is done. On the same tab it is probably not bad to click on "Delete Cookies" as well. Be aware, by deleting the cookies it will take away your automatic login in scripts, like to Shottalk for instance, so you would need to reenter these the first time you log back into all of your sites. That is your choice.

If you are interested in other browsers, I have used Opera for years and it changes your entire perspective and user friendly browsing by getting away from internet explorer. Firefox is another good one.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this. You can also do it straight from Internet Explorer, but what I mentioned is the least confusing way. If it was not in the start menu, you can get to the same point by clicking "Tools" from within Internet Explorer at the top and selecting "Internet Options", which takes you to the same menu.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK OK - you've got me convinced. I am going to Firefox or Opera. I've heard too many good things about them.

I do my banking, mortgage payments, power bills, phone bills, car payments all on line. I use Greenborder now because it is highly rated for security.

Norton Firewall and Antivirus.

Additionally I regularly use Window Washer and Spy Sweeper on all systems. Keeps them running pretty quickly and keeps the gunk off.

When I pay my bills, I got to Anonymizer.com which uses proxy IP addresses and then make certain the Greenborder is on with max protection against capture of credit card numbers, checking account numbers etc.

So my PC is loaded up like a battleship with defensive weapons before I do any online transactions but I still hear about IE having enough holes to qualify as swiss cheese.

I'll go to Firefox. I have a ton of Favorites in IE. Is it hard to copy them over to Firefox or Opera? If I can get my Favorites over, it should be easy for me to pick up on how to use them.

Please let me know.

Thanks for your help...really appreciate it.

JB...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I don't currently have Firefox on my PC, but this should tell you what you need to know. It should only take a minute or so.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks
For opera you just click on bookmarks>manage bookmarks Then File>import Internet Explorer Bookmarks.

BTW, IE did recently come out with IE 7.0 to address some of the security issues. However, when I upgraded it pretty much hosed my system so I had to do a registry restore to get back on line. So if you think about that, make sure you have a little time and know how to restore your registry or you may be in for a few long hours. I may try it again when I'm bored and have a few hours to kill.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I don't currently have Firefox on my PC, but this should tell you what you need to know. It should only take a minute or so.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks
For opera you just click on bookmarks>manage bookmarks Then File>import Internet Explorer Bookmarks.

BTW, IE did recently come out with IE 7.0 to address some of the security issues. However, when I upgraded it pretty much hosed my system so I had to do a registry restore to get back on line. So if you think about that, make sure you have a little time and know how to restore your registry or you may be in for a few long hours. I may try it again when I'm bored and have a few hours to kill.

I have both IE 7 and Firefox installed. Some sites seem to prefer one more than the other, so that way I'm always covered. I had no problems at all installing IE 7.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Just bumping this up. I started running into more and more page format issues with Opera, which I have likely used since it first came out. I hadn't tried Firefox alot in probably a couple years, as I preferred Opera. Yet I still recommended both, because Firefox was free and felt it was worth mentioning with Opera, as it did have some of the same functionality.

Yesterday I had a little time to address any issues, so I finally upgraded to IE7 again. Got it working O.K. Still a POS IMO. It seems to want to crash every time I try and use the new page tab. Well, that's good enough for me, the only time I ever use IE is to do Windows updates, and since a single page is all I need it suits my needs. I didn't have any of the other problems this time around, whereas it hosed my system and I had to do a registry restore last time around, and decided to give Firefox another chance, just to see where it was headed and to make sure it was still worth recommending. Glad I did, it has come a very long way and will be my new browser. It now seems to have most of the same functionality that I liked in Opera, just a matter of experimenting. I am also impressed with how far their Addon programs have come along. They have certainly come a long way, and IMO have far surpassed Opera. Anyways, just thought I would pass that on. So if you chose Firefox Bravo, I believe you made the right choice.

If you play around with the Addon's, realize they come at the expense of how quickly the browser loads up, so don't go to overboard and try and find just what you will use.

🔥 Latest posts