• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sharpening Grooves

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Question for you guys, the SW in my i3 blade set has been ridden hard and the grooves are borderline gone, I ordered one of these: UV Groove Sharpener

Does anyone have experience with these? Or advice?

Rick R

Old school curmudgeon
Mar 18, 2014
Evans City, Pennsylvania
Country
I've not used one of those gadgets, but recently in preparing for the season, I used a small screwdriver to scrape out the grooves in all of my irons. Hardened tool steel of some screwdrivers may work as well as one of those things and why not try it.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I've not used one of those gadgets, but recently in preparing for the season, I used a small screwdriver to scrape out the grooves in all of my irons. Hardened tool steel of some screwdrivers may work as well as one of those things and why not try it.
The grooves are clean I'm looking to basically recut and sharpen them. They look kinda like this:

wedges_medium.JPG

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
$20 for it!? Is there a machine shop near you? Go buy 3" of 1/4" D2 tool steel from them for $5 and grind it yourself.

Man, I wish I still ran a machine shop. I'd make a tool and give it to you.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
$20 for it!? Is there a machine shop near you? Go buy 3" of 1/4" D2 tool steel from them for $5 and grind it yourself.

Man, I wish I still ran a machine shop. I'd make a tool and give it to you.
I too wish you could make me the tool, just called Ping they can't regroove it either because of the USGA blah, blah, blah, blah. So I guess I'll roll with my new $20 tool. Dammit.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
The guy also said if I'm going to sharpen the grooves myself it will make the club nonconforming. While I understand the spirit of the rule it seems stupid for this application, I'm not trying to give myself an unfair advantage, if anything I'm trying to get my SW back into spec. WTF???

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
If you won't be playing any tournaments sharpen them however you want. However, if you plan to enter tournaments I would just send it in to PING and have them redo the grooves. They don't charge very much to do it.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
If you won't be playing any tournaments sharpen them however you want. However, if you plan to enter tournaments I would just send it in to PING and have them redo the grooves. They don't charge very much to do it.
I called Ping and they said they couldn't redo the grooves because of the USGA rules. They would however, be happy to sell me a replacement matching SW for $157. ;)

PMay

Jul 7, 2009
Bloomington Indiana
Country
So if I bought clubs in 2009 with U grooves and want to play in a tournament, will I have to get the grooves reshaped?

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
So if I bought clubs in 2009 with U grooves and want to play in a tournament, will I have to get the grooves reshaped?
Youre good until 2024, unless you adjust or resharpen your grooves.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I called Ping and they said they couldn't redo the grooves because of the USGA rules. They would however, be happy to sell me a replacement matching SW for $157. ;)
That's odd, because a friend of mine just had this done. However, the club he had redone originally had un-conforming grooves and when PING redid it, they did it to the new groove rule.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
That's odd, because a friend of mine just had this done. However, the club he had redone originally had un-conforming grooves and when PING redid it, they did it to the new groove rule.
Then that d-bag just lied to me. :(

Members online

No members online now.