1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shoal Creek

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by Bravo, May 1, 2005.

1. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

This is currently rated #49 in the US and has hosted two PGA Championships and a US Amateur...

Here's the range...they were having Nike demo day when we came up...
    DSCN1123.JPG DSCN1125.JPG

2. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Cottages for out-of-town members and their guests...This club has approximately 25% out of state members who fly in to play and bring guests. This is the Nicklaus cottage and another one whose name I don't recall...Nicklaus designed this course and it opened in 1977....
    DSCN1128.JPG DSCN1129.JPG

3. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

This course has five sets of tees with the 5 star being the longest ones and the ones from which the pro tournaments were played from at 7114. The 4 star course on the card is indicated to be only 6779 - but today, many of the tee set-ups were very close to the championship length. My guess is we played a course that was around 6950 today and we got whipsawed...

Once again windy weather!! I think that the entire North American continent is experiencing a cold/windy spring and this is the case here. Today's date is May 1 and when we teed off - it was 66F/19C with bright sunshine and 10-20 mph winds.

This course is located in a mountain valley and holds water. We had a big rain about 24 hours ago and the balls were hitting and stopping with no roll whatsoever.

Here's the first - the classic easy opening hole - straightaway par 4 that measured 393. My drive flew 240 and stopped dead - this left me 150 to the pin into the wind...
    DSCN1127.JPG

4. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

As I said, the balls tended to hit and drop on the spot...if there is any issue with this course as it relates to conditioning - it is its propensity to hold water...
    DSCN1130.JPG

5. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Here we are on #4 - the #1 handicap hole on the front side. This puppy plays 452 from the tips. Our distance today was 432. I hammered a good drive which left me 172 to the pin. I stuck a 5 iron 15 feet away and two putted for routine par. (The regulars know this is not me in the photo)
    DSCN1131.JPG

6. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And here's the 5th. A beautiful downhill par 3. We had 187 to the pin today. I left mine in the front bunker - then hit over the green and ended up with a double.

Double Oak Mountain looms behind the hole. Notice the sheer rock face in the upper left portion of the picture among the trees...
    DSCN1132.JPG DSCN1133.JPG

7. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Coming out of the chute on the 7th...Damn these are long holes...

Championship tees are 442 on the card and we played about five yards in front of this so maybe 435+ straightaway. I hit a really good drive (that actually rolled!!) but got behind a strategic tree and took a bogey because I could not approach directly. The #3 handicap hole on the front...
    DSCN1134.JPG

8. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And the 8th...a fun little downhill Par 3...Played 156 today. My 8 iron fell a bit short of the green and I used my TM RM to chip up for par....
    DSCN1137.JPG

9. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The 10th...a straightaway par 4...Played 410 today.
    DSCN1139.JPG

10. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

My buddy with the r7 hit a good drive and I followed this up with another nice one. Both flew about 255 and stopped dead...

In 39 years of playing the game - we had never seen this...I was playing a Precept U-Tri Tour and he had the Pro-V1x. The Pro-V1x finished 1/4 inch ahead...the hole is toward the top of the frame...
    DSCN1140.JPG

11. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Here's the 11th - a classic double water-carry Par 5. I hit an excellent drive into the wind and then a good second shot that set up a wedge into the green - which is surrounded on three sides by water. I looked up on my approach and hit it in the water - which gave me a double....
    DSCN1141.JPG

12. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The 13th - which played 172 today. I hit five iron to 15 feet and three putted for bogey. This is an all carry hole with a ravine in front and a large bunker greenside...
    DSCN1142.JPG DSCN1143.JPG

13. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And the 14th...a downhill Par 4 with about a 70 foot drop from the tee. Mountain backdrop once again...yours truly in 3rd photo...I hit mine in the right bunker...about 250 out and ended up with double again...not my day today.
    DSCN1144.JPG DSCN1145.JPG DSCN1147.JPG

14. Slingblade61

Slingblade61 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sweet pics Bravo!

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting them......Those narrow fairways would kill me.

15. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

The 16th..a par 3 that normally plays about 185 but they had the tees back (again) to championship distance. We were 210 to the hole. I played my TM RM and hit it on the fringe of the green on the right side. Too bad the pin was left. I had a 50 footer and three putted for bogey.
    DSCN1149.JPG

16. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

And the last...of course a very tough finishing hole...plays 443 from the tips. About 430 for us today. I hooked my drive left and ended up with bogey...There I am in last photo with club too far over the line. This is what I must work on...
    DSCN1151.JPG DSCN1154.JPG

17. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    Great pics.

In that pic with the two balls, what happened to your grass? Are all the fairways like that down there? We have more grass on our cartpaths.... ;)

Seriously tho, do the fairway really play that tight? I think alot of you guys would suffer playing up here with our thick, unforgiving grass. Even in the fairways....

R35

18. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Sling...thanks for your note. My Nikon Coolpix 3500 with whatever zoom it has - can in no way capture the "scene depth" that I need it to. I try to zoom in as much as possible and still cannot capture the scene like I want to.

The other message here is that this course has fairly Wide fairways. On the holes where I said there was a chute - there indeed was but the landing areas once you cleared the chute was generous.

This is such a great course!! It obviously can be set up for a Major championship but can also be just a delight for regular golfers. Believe me there is plenty of room to drive the ball - you have to hit it pretty bad to get it out of the fairway and Then - they have done a nice job of clearing out the first 5 yards of woods so you can find your ball. It is set up to be both a playas course as well as a regular golfers course.

As those of you have seen my pictures know - I live in a hilly area with holes that go up and down in elevation. What comes with this is Blind shots...every course here has holes with blind shots to the green - except this one. Jack Nicklaus designed a course where you can see each and every approach shot land on the green and roll to the hole.

I wish everyone could play this course. I have never played with anyone of any skill level that did not love it. It is Not Unfair....

19. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Rock:

Our fairways have bermudagrass. This is a warm season grass that grows very fast in the summer. The advantage is that it will recover a divot in about 2-3 weeks. It has a disadvantage though in that it is a warm weather grass - it needs heat to really grow...

As all of us in North America know - we've had a cool/cold Spring and this has been the case here. It has not gotten warm enough for our fairways to really fill out yet - so we still have thin conditions...this is why the members at Augusta use ryegrass on their course. They have The Masters in April and its just not warm enough yet to get bermudagrass fairways lush at that time. So they put down the ryegrass seed in the fall and have superb conditions in the winter and spring and the course dies in June when our bermudagrass fairways are just about perfect...

As you can see, this is a valley course and my home course (about five miles away) is a hill course with rock underneath. My course (in contrast to this one) can tolerate vast amounts of water - it will just roll down the mountain...so when it is rainy - you want to play my place and when it is dry you want to play here.

And in August, when it is hot as Hell - you want to play my place bc we get the best breeze - or maybe visit you or Sling where the Summers are civil!!

20. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    Gotcha.

I played Bermuda when I was in Kissimmee. It played alot longer (no rain like you've had) because of the tight grass. But it really allowed for some sweet shotmaking.

The grass around here needs heat as well. Get a little rain and a couple days of heat and it will grow 2-3" a day, easy. At the cabin, it's not uncommon for them to mow twice a day when it gets into the rain/heat combo....

Needless to say, there are places on some courses that really bring the term "cabbage" into play.

Again, great pics. I would love to experience that course. One of the best i've seen depicted on this site. Fits my eye to a "tee"....

R35