• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Short Game Practice

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
So today I ran into something wedge weird twice. Once on the front, and once on the back, and it cost me a par round. In both cases I was left of the green. In both cases I was attempted an up and down with a short roll out, but had the ball back in my stance, lob and sandy. In both cases the shot went maybe 25%. In both cases I repeated the same mistake. In retro I think I was thinking flop but should have swung for a pitch. Or maybe I wasnt swinging to the outside. I dont really know what caused it.

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
My 60 degree wedge is as unpredictable as my ex wife. Sometimens sweet, sometimes short and sneaky, many times allot of fluff with no real results. The thing that reminds me most of her is that when payday comes, it can act like a real bitch, always let you down when you need it, and when it does show up, it is usually too late to do any good!

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My 60 degree wedge is as unpredictable as my ex wife. Sometimens sweet, sometimes short and sneaky, many times allot of fluff with no real results. The thing that reminds me most of her is that when payday comes, it can act like a real bitch, always let you down when you need it, and when it does show up, it is usually too late to do any good!

Its because of this exact analogy that I'm once again tempted to drop the three wedge set-up (not including PW.) I've been gaming a three wedge set-up for a few years now and really do like the options it gives you in your short game. But I do find it over complicating at times and as mentioned in the above quote, I get let down by my 60* more times than it pays off being in my bag. The biggest let downs obviously coming during those "pay day" moments for sure!! It even got to a point later in the season last fall, that I'd try and find other options to avoid using the 60 all together.

Now, having said that, and for whatever reason I cannot explain... I attempted a cheap experiment a year ago when I came across a pair of older Cleveland wedges. For the life of me I can't remember what they were but the lofts were 53* and 58*. As I said I can't explain this, but I felt for the duration of my experiment, my short game really improved. I also felt so much more confident with the 58* and played more aggressively with it because of that confidence. I also liked that my thought process was a lot more simplistic when it came to my wedge game. There really wasn't as many options with only two wedges now, but I could seemingly accomplish so much more with them and with a higher success rate.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
That an interesting idea. I dicked around and improved my driving and even have a 3w in my bag that leads my other clubs. Im just workin them from the front to the back, but there is gonna be some gap changes along the line soon and those lofts wouldnt hurt me a bit.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
That an interesting idea. I dicked around and improved my driving and even have a 3w in my bag that leads my other clubs. Im just workin them from the front to the back, but there is gonna be some gap changes along the line soon and those lofts wouldnt hurt me a bit.

If I were to do it again and probably for a permanent stay in the bag. I'd go with the same lofts because they blend well with my existing PW, but I'm open to any manufacturer at this point.

🔥 Latest posts