• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shortening the swing

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
As some of you know I’ve changed irons recently. And I’ve changed to ones that are significantly less forgiving than my previous set. So recently my inconsistency with my distances I have self diagnosed as a problem with hitting the middle of the club face. So yesterday at the range I started making shorter swings at the exact same tempo that I normally play it. I have been hitting the middle of the club face much more consistently, and taking much truer distance values. Shaving off only about 5 yards off my max distance. Anyone here playing a similar type of game, Shorter swing but increase consistency?

Thankfully for me I drive the ball far enough to not be bashful about how short I hit my irons. Love to hear your guys input.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've been doing basically this for years. I only ever take what I consider a 3/4 swing with any irons.

I found the same thing as you did. Better contact, more consistent contact, and with that comes better average shots with far better ball flight and spin. So my max distance with each club went down, but I'm positive my average distance went up and my dispersion was drastically reduced.

At first I had to constantly think about 3/4 swing with irons. Gradually it got better and better and now I don't think about it at all...I just automatically go to 3/4 position and let her rip.

This was one of the best things I ever did for my overall scoring.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I've been doing basically this for years. I only ever take what I consider a 3/4 swing with any irons.

I found the same thing as you did. Better contact, more consistent contact, and with that comes better average shots with far better ball flight and spin. So my max distance with each club went down, but I'm positive my average distance went up and my dispersion was drastically reduced.

At first I had to constantly think about 3/4 swing with irons. Gradually it got better and better and now I don't think about it at all...I just automatically go to 3/4 position and let her rip.

This was one of the best things I ever did for my overall scoring.

Right, I never felt like I was swinging hard even with my prior swing, it was just too long. I still felt like I had a 3/4 swing, but it was still full length. Now I’m starting to realize that it’s much more important to shorten my backswing and focus on better contact. Hopefully I’ll be getting higher spin and a bit higher flight out of the ball. As it stands right now I can barely hold a 9i within like 5 yards of where it pitches down, the spin is good but my flight is too low.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
My son took a video of Tiger during a practice round. This is the top of his backswing with a 5 iron.
1570039465658.jpg

/topic

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.