• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ShotTalk Golfers You'd Like to Play

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Wait a minute! People on shottalk actually golf? I though they just bought and sold clubs, looked at them for 3 days, then sold em and bought more?

:laugh:

funny but sadly so true...

the posts have been down today... unusual.... i guess people are out getting in a round... but it seems like im one of just a small handful who has been on here today..

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
It would be cool, though would take a long time to organize everything. How much would a 1 week or two week golfing holiday cost in Florida, it is an expensive place.

F.it, like. You only live once an' all that ! :)

My sister is only back from Florida and ADORED the place. Ain't had a proper chat to her as yet, but she mentioned everything being truely amazing; the parks, things to do, the food and the unbelievable levels of cleanliness. She also said that *I* have to get myself there as it is an absolute haven for golfers.

Mind you, folks, we must leave a day or seven for the parks ;) Could always do that after or before the golf, I suppose :)

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
World Woods would be awesome...

What is that, lad ?

5 rounds Stableford comp. Everyone throws in, say, 50 dollars. Prizes for all competitors. Did that on a trip to Portugal and it works well, I must admit.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
F.it, like. You only live once an' all that ! :)

My sister is only back from Florida and ADORED the place. Ain't had a proper chat to her as yet, but she mentioned everything being truely amazing; the parks, things to do, the food and the unbelievable levels of cleanliness. She also said that *I* have to get myself there as it is an absolute haven for golfers.

Mind you, folks, we must leave a day or seven for the parks ;) Could always do that after or before the golf, I suppose :)

Its true, I was there in 01 and 03 and they where the bets 2 holidays i've ever been on. The parks are class islands of adventure and bush gardens are a must. And yea the food is good and cheap. Florida has golf courses everywhere you look, played champions gate in 03 when it was just open it was a fnatastic course. I really would love to do this trip I have been saving a lto of money for a holiday, and a golfing holiday in florida would be so much fun.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I have had the pleasure of playing with doc and chollyred. my dream would be to win lotto and buy a winnabago and travel the country playing all the rest of the shottalkers on their home courses. Good or bad players,playing with different players just adds to the game.

As far as getting lots of shottalkers together - anywhere- anytime. But may I suggest finding a spot 40 to 60 miles outside a major town? if you fly in some cars will need to be rented anyway, and the courses in the "sticks" are less crowded and better priced. I can chunk a shot on a $40 course just as well as a $120 course, rooms are cheaper, and some of the "lesser" courses are really unfound gems.
I remember a vacation years ago at olympia village in wisconsin, the resort course was packed everyday. I drove 20 miles to a little course (kettle moraine? ) that was about empty, half the price, and do to less play not a divot in the fairway.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have had the pleasure of playing with doc and chollyred. my dream would be to win lotto and buy a winnabago and travel the country playing all the rest of the shottalkers on their home courses. Good or bad players,playing with different players just adds to the game.

As far as getting lots of shottalkers together - anywhere- anytime. But may I suggest finding a spot 40 to 60 miles outside a major town? if you fly in some cars will need to be rented anyway, and the courses in the "sticks" are less crowded and better priced. I can chunk a shot on a $40 course just as well as a $120 course, rooms are cheaper, and some of the "lesser" courses are really unfound gems.
I remember a vacation years ago at olympia village in wisconsin, the resort course was packed everyday. I drove 20 miles to a little course (kettle moraine? ) that was about empty, half the price, and do to less play not a divot in the fairway.

That is too funny - Olympia Village was my "home" ski hill back in the late 70's. I remember when they built it. We couldn't imagine where they got enough dirt to build a 1000-ft. high hill with eight ski runs, in the middle of a flat plain. We called it "Ice Cream Cone Mountain", since it looked like a giant scoop of ice cream in the middle of nowhere. Kettle Moraine was a fun little course.

As for this "Shottalk Weekend" we keep talking about.

I like the Myrtle Beach idea, but fear the crowds.
I like the idea of playing near Bravo. RTJT courses and all.

We can put together a reasonably priced weekend in Florida.

Stay at the Plantation Inn, where you can get 4-person condos for very reasonable rates.

Plantation Inn & Golf Resort :: Home

As for golf, Plantation Inn has a decent course, but here's where I would suggest:

World Woods (36 holes is around $120 - worth every penny)
World Woods Golf Club Florida Golf at its best.

El Diablo (great value at $50)
GolfDigest.com - Course Critic

Skyview at Terra Vista (crappy website - hidden gem of a course - $40, worth $100).
Citrus Hills :

Busch Gardens in Tampa is an hour south. Orlando is two hours southeast.

Perhaps our overseas friends want to start planning, then we Yanks can join in?

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
I know some of you probably don't think of Nebraska as a good place to go on a golf retreat. If you truely want to get away from the crowds, We have some unbelievable golf courses and If you guys decide it would be an option I would be more then happy to try and set it up. I don't know if any one is familiar with the state but we have the sandhills region of the state that is a taken over by huge ranches. And the population is very sparse. About 10 years ago Ben Crenshaw put in a course Called the

Sandhills Golf Club

And a couple years ago Nicklaus put in a course just a few miles away in the

Dismal River Club

We also have the

Wildhorse Golf Club

Which is rated 21st in Golfweeks best modern courses

Best times would be in June or September as the middle of summer can get pretty warm.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
While I would enjoy Nebraska, I think that one of our major considerations needs to be travel costs and travel accessibility. (I know that for Ssmokin' and WBL Nebraska would be great bc they could simply drive there - but for the rest, travel there would likely be very expensive).

Ideally, I would want our tourney to be like our site - International. THAT would be incredibly cool...

If we are going to have participants fly across the pond, then Orlando is THE choice. They simply fly non-stop from whatever major international airport is closest to them....Shannon, Dublin, Heathrow, Gatwick, Edinburgh, Manchester.

For those of us in North America, we can all fly there non-stop too...

Playing in Central Florida in the winter is awesome. The weather is great...and it would be a nice opportunity for the non-Americans to visit the parks. (Hell I'd probably go to WDW myself one day....dammit I turn into a kid everytime I go there).

World Woods is listed as one of the Top 100 Courses in the U.S. and from a value standpoint, it is one of the Top 10 American courses. Haven't played there yet but everyone I have spoken to - has raved about the two courses there. Its in a small town accessible both from Tampa and Orlando.

Awards - World Woods Golf Club

If we played there in early December, we could play 36 holes in one day on both of these courses for the princely sum of $90 USD...

Rate Schedule - World Woods Golf Club

If we are going to go to the trouble of putting together a trip, whether its Alabama or Canada or the UK or Florida, let's play good courses. I for one don't want to spend all of that time and money to play goat tracks....

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
If we can do Orlando in Late Jan, or anytime in February I am in for sure.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
If we can do Orlando in Late Jan, or anytime in February I am in for sure.

Mid-Jan is PGA Show time in Orlando. Not a good time for cheap/uncrowded golf courses. Early December is probably the best rate wise for the winter months.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Mid-Jan is PGA Show time in Orlando. Not a good time for cheap/uncrowded golf courses. Early December is probably the best rate wise for the winter months.

I vote early December too...perfect in every way.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Sorry, too close to Christmas for me. I already travel in Dec for it.

I need February, or pretty much I am out.

Bummer.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Sorry, too close to Christmas for me. I already travel in Dec for it.

I need February, or pretty much I am out.

Bummer.

February is the high season there. Hotels and golf courses increase their prices quite a bit on January 1.

That's what makes planning a trip like this so tough...it's impossible to accommodate everyone's schedule.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.