• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ShotTalk members...unite!!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
No...the other hand has about $1000/year in it while doing seemingly zero work other than paying the domain/hosting company.

You're telling me that you would buy a machine that hands out $100 bills every month for $5000, then two years later when someone asks you to sell it for $700 because 'the other hand has $0 in it' you would sell it at a net loss?

EDIT: I'm not saying it's worth $7000, or $3600, or even $700 to us. I'm saying looking at it from their position....why would they even get close to selling it for $700 when in 7 months they would have that, and the principle as well?

$100 is after paying hosting fees, yearly license costs and administration functionality? Is this fact, or just a number rattled off to make it appear to have some worth?

You throw out an offer. When nothing happens for 6 months, they might come around. I'm not saying they're taking the $700, but when there's literally no other fish in the sea, IF they want to unload it, they will. If not, who cares, the lights are still on, costs us dick all.

If it's a bonafied money maker, they come back and say "it's not for sale". Unless you're willing to pay "X", which is exorbitant, then ya, you stupid idiots, we'll sell. If this is the case, I have plenty of shit you guys can buy.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Bingo. I don't understand how this is so hard to understand. It's basic sales tactics.
It's not difficult to understand....but some of you guys are acting like they're robbing you at gunpoint with their asking prices. When, I'm positive if the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't be selling for the prices you're offering...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's not difficult to understand....but some of you guys are acting like they're robbing you at gunpoint with their asking prices. When, I'm positive if the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't be selling for the prices you're offering...

Not me. I'm not buying anything at those prices.

When DFH took this place over, the value of it was around $1800. A couple of us put our heads together and toyed with the idea of purchasing it. We decided that since he seemed like a good egg, had great intentions for the site, it would be a lateral move. At that time, the site wasn't generating much traffic, but it was more popular and used than it is now.

A quick check on a couple simple website value calculators has this place earning an average of $0.68 a day. That's a far cry from 100 a month that we're being told. And I will concede, those quick websites aren't the best litmus test for the "value" of a website, and I will bring in the emotional factor for some, where money can be no object. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If these guys were serious about a sale, they'd show proven daily ad costs, yearly fees and an operating budget. You can't just arbitrarily throw out numbers and expect people to believe that without proof. Pretty much every number on here that's been spouted is unsubstantiated. They're throwing out numbers, gauging interest. If we blink, they'll know they have a sucker.

The bottom line is, this site is not worth what they are currently asking. If that value comes down from the stratosphere, perhaps a dialogue would begin. They know we're interested, but not at that price. If they're not interested in coming down, there's nothing to discuss.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The bottom line is, this site is not worth what they are currently asking. If that value comes down from the stratosphere, perhaps a dialogue would begin. They know we're interested, but not at that price. If they're not interested in coming down, there's nothing to discuss.

This.

For $700 we could set up our own site and run it a few years with no ad income and be ahead. If what's left of the core group migrates to another forum the ad revenue would drop here. The only reason to stay here would be for sentimental reasons related to historical posts/material.

In an unrelated topic, if DFH is no longer owner, is there anyway to stop his news feed from posting?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
As mentioned, at the end of the day the hosting fees are paid and the site isn't going anywhere so there is zero reason to do 1 damn thing about it. If and when they get tired of earning squat they know someone may be interested for a yard sale price.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
On another note, what the fuk happened to the post count? Coulda swore I was at something like 8500-8600 and now 7900?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.