• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I get blades?

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
So I was searching a bit, and narrowed my iron search down, after I hit a ton at the demo day at my range. I am down to the ping s55, the nike vr pro combo, and the mizuno mp-64, (I would also like the titleist ap2 714, but that's too much money for me) but I saw the Bridgestone j40 line as well, I want to give them a hit and try them out, the look great, and like the same style I am looking for.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
So I was searching a bit, and narrowed my iron search down, after I hit a ton at the demo day at my range. I am down to the ping s55, the nike vr pro combo, and the mizuno mp-64, (I would also like the titleist ap2 714, but that's too much money for me) but I saw the Bridgestone j40 line as well, I want to give them a hit and try them out, the look great, and like the same style I am looking for.
I don't know what it is but the J40s seem to have some aura about them. I couldn't get my hands on any when I was looking for new irons, but they were the top of my list.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
"In parapsychology and many forms of spiritual practice, an aura is a field of subtle, luminous radiation surrounding a person or object (like the halo or aureola in religious art). The depiction of such an aura often connotes a person of particular power or holiness. It is said that all living things (including humans) and all objects manifest such an aura."

Thanks google.
In this case, the object in question is the J40's... :p

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've met quite a few people over the years who have an "aura" about them... Always Unusually Rude A**hats!!

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Really though, I would like some honest answers gents.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Could you be bothered to do a pro/con review, with your most/least favorite aspects?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I'm in the camp that the body is the motor and the shaft is the transmission to any golf swing, in other words club heads can help with forgiveness but don't do a lot for trajectory, etc. I would suggest getting fitted for a shaft and match the club heads you want.

On to the review...

The J40's are first of all beautiful. They have a very clean and "player's" appearance at address and in the bag. Thinner sole's with the right amount of sole grind. Thin toplines, all around have a very sleek appearance. They have a bit of offset, so I would suggest hitting before buying.

I was fitted into the project x shaft, which was a no brainer because I have been playing them for awhile and feel at home with them. I has able to get a higher ball flight by playing the ball up in my stance or a lower penetrating ball flight if i played the ball toward the back of my stance. I'm a point and shoot iron player and only work the ball if need be. With that being said whether I was hitting the dpc or cb I have a more pronounced draw with these clubs.

I have found that I really like the cb's and like slightly less the dpc. the cb's jest feel crisper and I generate more spin with those heads.

Pros: Beautiful, rareish, soft buttery feel on nutted shots and workability. Price is good as well. Can be custom ordered to whatever specs and configuration you want.

Cons: Can be hard to find but Bridgestone does let you try an iron for a shipping fee for a month so that's not really a big deal. The offset is different between the dpc's and cb's. If ordering a mixed set I would suggest hitting both first.

Hope this helps.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Yeah thanks, I am after workability, I know I can hit the ball straight, but like you I still want to be able to work the ball, but one question about that, did you find that they were easy to loose too far left or right?

My other question is about the spin, I want to ba able to stop the ball hard with all my irons, I could do that with the s55's and the vr pro cb's, can you do that with these? Some if the courses I play here in mass have really small and or shallow greens, to make up for their softness, so I really want to be able to stick a 9-7, and have a 4-6' roll on the 6-4.

Tbh, I do t care how my clubs look, I think the s55's are ugly, the mp64's are kinda roundish, and the vr pro cb's are to boxed and squared, but I love the way all of them hit, these ones are cool looking, which is a bonus, but definitely not vital.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Yeah thanks, I am after workability, I know I can hit the ball straight, but like you I still want to be able to work the ball, but one question about that, did you find that they were easy to loose too far left or right?

My other question is about the spin, I want to ba able to stop the ball hard with all my irons, I could do that with the s55's and the vr pro cb's, can you do that with these? Some if the courses I play here in mass have really small and or shallow greens, to make up for their softness, so I really want to be able to stick a 9-7, and have a 4-6' roll on the 6-4.

Tbh, I do t care how my clubs look, I think the s55's are ugly, the mp64's are kinda roundish, and the vr pro cb's are to boxed and squared, but I love the way all of them hit, these ones are cool looking, which is a bonus, but definitely not vital.
I consider myself a decent iron player, woods on the other hand are an adventure. I think the draw bias was more my swing than the clubs. I thought the spin was just fine and had no trouble stopping the ball.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.