• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should i get my irons bent if..?

Jun 24, 2006
Hello everyone,

This winter I was going to take my clubs into golf central and get the lie angles fit for me, and my swing.

I was wondering, since I’m going to be working on my swing quite a bit this winter should I get my irons bent?

I’m a little worried about me getting them bent, and then fixing my swing and having the irons not fit me well anymore.

What do you guys think? Should I get them bent (for free) and see what happens??

Thanks,
ThatcCanadianGuy

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I'd say go to your pro and see what he says, whether to change your swing or your lie angles

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Tell him what your doing, but most likely the bending of the club isnt for you swing (unless its very weird), its for your body. So it shouldnt hurt you at all.

It helped me amazingly, i gained 5-10 yards and was hitting it wayyy more solid then when i had it at all standard (got it 2* upright and 1/2" long).

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Getting them bent to fit you shoud be no problem. If you're still growing it may be a little trouble, because when you grow you'll need to do it again, but if you get it done for free, it's no bother.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
If your growing it'll be fine, because your bending it the same way farther and farther, just make sure your not going back and forth because that will stress the metal and it wont be as durable.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
If your growing it'll be fine, because your bending it the same way farther and farther, just make sure your not going back and forth because that will stress the metal and it wont be as durable.

That's kinda what I was thinking. If you need to get them flattened at the moment, and you're still growing, could be difficult, because you'd need them more upright in the future. Talk it over with the guy who'd be doing it, get his opinion, and think about it then.

OP
ThatCanadianGuy
Jun 24, 2006
Thanks guys!

I went to the pro as soon as i bought my irons (beginning of season) and he put some impact tape on my club and made me hit ..1.. ball. Somehow i hit it dead on the sweet spot and he told me to F off.

He dident seem to think i needed them bent :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I hit a bunch of the shots dead in the centre when my clubs werent set for me, but its about how the sole of the club goes across the ground, thats wat creates the friction and lets the toe or heel come through faster.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Every online fitting system wants me to use 2* flat irons. When I was fitted, I hit 15 balls in a row dead flat. I got the same looks from my guy, "WTF are you thinking? 2* flat? Up yours."

I thought about trying a couple irons bent flat, but opted against it. It's seemed to work for me so far.

From some research, I've come to learn that iron grind can actually have more of an impact on ballfight over actual lie. It would be interesting to get fitted for grind, but that REEKS of $$$$. :D

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yep, go and get fitted, hitting different lengths and angles and find what fits best. For my height, my arms hang slightly low(because they are long), so I only use 1* upright.

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Bending forged irons shouldn't be problem. Cast irons have its limitations.I believe Callaways irons can not be bent at all.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Hello everyone,

This winter I was going to take my clubs into golf central and get the lie angles fit for me, and my swing.

I was wondering, since I’m going to be working on my swing quite a bit this winter should I get my irons bent?

I’m a little worried about me getting them bent, and then fixing my swing and having the irons not fit me well anymore.

What do you guys think? Should I get them bent (for free) and see what happens??

Thanks,
ThatcCanadianGuy

have your posture checked first then do it

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I believe Callaways irons can not be bent at all.

I have bent Callaways. Most cast clubs cannot be bent more than 2 degrees in either direction from original spec. Even then there is no guarentee that they wont snap.

I play Titleist 690.cb's (soft and forged) and I check my loft and lie angles every 20 rounds or so (I have a bending machine so cost isnt an issue), and am suprised at times just how much my irons will out of my spec after such a short amount of time. If you swing hard (100+ driver speed), play on hard (ground) courses, have a real descending blow swing, practice on mats, practice a lot, and play forgings, your irons can bend as much as 4 degrees in as little as 20 rounds. For most people, checking lie and loft angles at the beginning of every season (for forged irons only, cast are usually good for a longtime) should be suffecient.

As far as I am concerned, the lie angles of your irons are the most important, and most overlooked aspect of your bag. You hit your irons more than anything else, and the lie angles have a direct relation to the direction your shots fly. IMO lie angle is far more important than the type of head or shaft you have in your irons, and when properly fitted for your swing will help lower your scores faster than any other tweak.

Just remember, if you go see a fitter to get this done, insist on hitting balls when being measured on the lie board. Most people swing differntly when actually hitting a ball and this could really influence the angle readings. I have people hit foam practice balls of my lie mat in my back yard. No risk of damge and accurate results.

Good luck

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Yep, go and get fitted, hitting different lengths and angles and find what fits best. For my height, my arms hang slightly low(because they are long), so I only use 1* upright.

When you are saying your "arms hang slightly low", are you talking "can scratch knee without bending over" or "knuckle-dragger"? New knickname should be ape-boy, maybe...:)

🔥 Latest posts