1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Single length irons...

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by jhmeg2, Jan 26, 2020.

1. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

United States United States
    So, while I was in school we very briefly touched on the topic of single length irons. The professor and PGA staff didn't really know much about em either, so it was just a brief discussion and we movee on. I've got a gentleman that wanted me to reshaft his sand wedge to 7 iron length 37". It got me thinking. I rummaged through my shafts and grabbed a set of graphite R300s, weighed everything, frequency stepped the shafts, matched grip wheights, and cut them all to 37". They are all at D2. My thinking is that the lofts are going to be the only thing different from one another. I would think in a REAL single length set, the shafts would be tapering in wheight, as well as the heads. Wouldn't you think that the mass of the head at impact is a very determining factor? Epoxy is drying now. Probably tape and grip em tomorrow. Oh, and I'm just using a set of Master Grip heads out of my bucket. Again this is just a test to see
    What they are like. What is your thoughts.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

TheTrueReview likes this.
  2. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Tommy Armor tried the single length concept in the 90's with their EQL series. Didn't catch on, then. Now, the DeChambeau/Cobra "fad" seems to be working for some. Our little golf shop, here in town, has had two sets of the Cobra "One Length" irons over the past couple months in their used clubs. That tells me that at least two local folks have tried them and given up the concept. It still intrigues me. Will be interesting to see what you think with your experiment.

3. jhmeg2

jhmeg2 Well-Known Member

I'll try to remember to post the findings.

4. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

I know three people who have tried SL and all of them are back to standard clubs now.

5. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Single length intrigued me a couple of months back. I spoke to a guy at my local range who has Cobra and swears by them. Claims they are responsible for dropping from the teens to single figures.

I was intrigued then because I was hitting like sh!t. But I lost interest since then as my ball striking has improved out of sight.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  6. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

LyleG and Rockford35 both were swearing by them years ago with TLT. Don't know how that ended.

7. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

TLT and SL aren't the same thing.

8. warbirdlover

Okay. So what's the difference?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Cut & paste from Goggling it. I understand the single length concept. The TLT seems like reading a trigonometry textbook.

True Length Technology vs. Single Length
    Jun 17, 2015, 07:17 PM

I've had a number of people approach me about the difference - or even if they are the same? Single length is exactly that - 1 length for all irons, TLT is progressive lengths where the length and lie are mathematically tied together. Both systems will put the player in 1 singular address position allowing a very consistent swing to be developed.

A standard set off the shelf will often have 4 inches of total length differential with only 3 degree of lie separation.

Single length of course will have zero length difference and zero lie difference.

There are several ways to approach the length increments within TLT. My standard is 1 degree of lie separation - between each iron - where the length increment is less than 1/2 inch between the long clubs and less than 1/4 inch between short clubs. This combined from longest to shortest is just under 3 inches of total length vrs 6 degree of lie separation - while still maintaining 1 athletic address position.

To do a TLT length reduction the approach would be to have 1/2 degree of lie difference between each iron and its relative length. So with this approach having set the 4 iron to 61 degree of lie and the PW to 64 degree of lie - there is only 1 inch difference between the longest and shortest clubs. This gives a small length increment advantage so the player does not end up playing a too short long iron nor a too long short iron. Picture a 37 1/2 inch 4 iron verses a 36 1/2 inch PW. These lengths of course will vary depending on the size of the player and the relative fit.

So for players wanting to consider single length - there is a TLT method that has a slight twist but will still produce the single athletic address position just like single length.

10. warbirdlover

Okay, thanks limp.