• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Skiing

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Bigfootonskis.jpg

beardski-ski-mask.jpg

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I am hot and cold with regards to skiing, will go nuts and spend everyday skiing for 2-3 winters and then not go again for 3-4 yrs. Unlike Clark I don't mind our hills here, they aren't huge but still can be fun. Devils Head is decent sized and has some good black runs, Cascade is ok but gets boring, Granite Peak which used to simply be called Rib Mtn in Wausau is the biggest around and has a ton of runs. Tyrol basin out near Mt Horeb flat out sucks, almost as bad as Wilmot Mtn.

And have tried snowboarding, let's just say I absolutely suck at it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
And have tried snowboarding, let's just say I absolutely suck at it.

I've only tried skiing. I understand that snowboarding is another level of difficulty & bears little relationship to skiing.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I've only tried skiing. I understand that snowboarding is another level of difficulty & bears little relationship to skiing.

I would say other than being done on snow there is no relationship. I can ski just fine, I will never win a gold medal for grace but I can hold my own just fine on the hills around here. Strap a snowboard to my feet and I am 100% useless with it. I actually took the damn thing off and finished walking down Petes Dragon which is the beginners hill at Devils Hill. Came across a mother and daughter who were arguing, the daughter had to be about 15-16 and she was telling her mother snowboarding sucked and she hated it. She too took the board off and walked down.

I sucked on the Flow Rider at the Kalahari waterpark as well, I like being able to keep my feet separated.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I like skiing because I can turn better, and go faster.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Here's what my ski weekend was in Germany (Berchtesgaden) during the mid 80's. Board a train Friday night for about $5 or so. sleep on the train and get to the slopes in the morning. Buy a 2 day all mountain pass for about $10-15. Ski all day Saturday and hit the bars Saturday night. Get a room at the post transient barracks for about $5 or so. Community bathroom, but who cares. Ski all day Sunday then catch the train home for another $5 or so.

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Went to a local shop to get some new skis an boots my dad and I needed new ones and my dad bought them for me as the last pair he'll buy me. I got two pairs of dobermanns for skis, both 165, one was last years model, but basically the exact same ski. I also got technica r9.8 110's for boots. My dad got the dobermann boots. Can't wait to pick all my stuff up Christmas Eve.

we went to a local place called RJ Bradley's and we got a wicked deal on the lot.

The place is of the same family as Keegan and Pat Bradley, So that is cool.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
we went to a local place called RJ Bradley's and we got a wicked deal on the lot.

The place is of the same family as Keegan and Pat Bradley, So that is cool.

"Wicked deal" made me chuckle. My boys (19 and 16) constantly imitate movies. My youngest does a great "My boy is wicked smart" with a Boston accent from the movie Good Will Hunting.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
"Wicked deal" made me chuckle. My boys (19 and 16) constantly imitate movies. My youngest does a great "My boy is wicked smart" with a Boston accent from the movie Good Will Hunting.
I have a friend in Boston that owns a huge pest control company out there and he cracks me up with his "r's" are "a's" and "a's" are "r's" accent. And if something is good, it's "wicked" good. Funny sh!t!!!

OP
Splunge

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I've been to Boston once, and would love to go again. GREAT city!

Would be great to catch a Bruins game.
I've been to one, my seats were second to none, it was a great time. Boston is a pretty good city I guess, it's pretty dirty, and hard to navigate, but as long as you look at the signs and ignore your GPS, you'll be fine.

But being from here, and only havering ever been to one other major city (Denver), Boston isn't all that great. To me it's just same old same old.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
but as long as you look at the signs and ignore your GPS, you'll be fine.

But being from here, and only havering ever been to one other major city (Denver), Boston isn't all that great. To me it's just same old same old.

GPS...there's really very little need for them IMO. If people would learn how to pre-plan their route, and look at/read/understand road signs, this world would be a much better place. Every single person that I've ridden with that has a GPS and relies on it to get them places will be in a world of hurt if they ever have to drive without it. Sad. 30 year old men that have no idea how to read a map? Disgusting. Anyway, that's another thread.

Disdain for ones home town is pretty normal. It's the classic 'grass is greener' scenario.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
GPS...there's really very little need for them IMO. If people would learn how to pre-plan their route, and look at/read/understand road signs, this world would be a much better place. Every single person that I've ridden with that has a GPS and relies on it to get them places will be in a world of hurt if they ever have to drive without it. Sad. 30 year old men that have no idea how to read a map? Disgusting. Anyway, that's another thread.

Disdain for ones home town is pretty normal. It's the classic 'grass is greener' scenario.

Yep. I like having a GPS, but I also grew up using maps, and now use google maps more than a gps. GPS is good for helping you realize that you're coming up on the next turn instead of having to look for it...especially on highways or busy streets that don't have exit ramps.

My wife and kids are lost without a GPS.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Yep. I like having a GPS, but I also grew up using maps, and now use google maps more than a gps. GPS is good for helping you realize that you're coming up on the next turn instead of having to look for it...especially on highways or busy streets that don't have exit ramps.

My wife and kids are lost without a GPS.

What's really sad, is that they don't really teach(at last my class didn't) how to navigate. They don't teach you how to read road signs beyond traffic flow signs(stop/yield/etc). Navigation by road signs wasn't touched at all. How to read a map wasn't touched at all. My father taught me all of that. Hell, my dad had taught me everything I was supposed to learn in drivers education before I was 14.

Members online

No members online now.