• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slump/suckage

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I am in a bad way right now. Not all of my game, but iron play. Even with the Wilsons (still better than the Pings) I am doing something seriously wrong. Today it was topping them and super low flight. Not a skull either. It's hard to describe. WBL saw it.... I hit approx. the right yardage, take a divot, but the ball only gets maybe 10 ft. off the ground.

What really pisses me off (about myself) is that I hit a few on the range just fine before the round and hit a whole small bucket just fine after. I even gave myself shit lies while hitting after so I wouldn't be fooling myself. I hit out of divots better after the round than I hit from the fairway during the round. I'm having a serious mental glitch causing me to do something totally different with my swing while i'm actually playing.

Off the tee i'm playing fine. Chips, pitches, sand (except for today), and putting have been a little improved actually, but i'm losing almost double digit strokes on the course due to my inability to hit an iron. WTF? Irons were a strength of mine last year. Need to figure this out soon cause I can't keep paying to play like this. Rant over.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have a suggestion that will solve your problem. Scrap up $30 ($35?) for a 1/2 hour session with Bobby Capon Jr. at Capon's golf driving range in Kenosha and he'll have you straightened out so fast your head will spin. No kidding. I'll go with you for kicks. There are times you can just not solve a problem on your own.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Another thing that pisses me off is that I said to you an hour before we went that my sand game was much better than last year and that I never leave it in the bunker. If anything I fly it. Then I go and leave it in the bunker twice greenside and hit the lip to leave it in the bunker in the fw. I did play a fantastic 60yd bunker shot though, wouldn't you say? That and that wedge from 79yds made me happy too. Those two shots will make me go back.

Man, I was in bunkers a lot today.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i was in greenside bunkers 6 times today, splashed out nicely every time, 2 sand saves. and, i feel the pain of your swing woes, driving range fixes most of that for me, but not completely. seems a slumps a slump.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
...... I said to you an hour before we went that my sand game was much better than last year and that I never leave it in the bunker.......

By saying something like this out loud, you've angered the Golf Gods, they don't like being taunted. You're so screwed. :)

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
By saying something like this out loud, you've angered the Golf Gods, they don't like being taunted. You're so screwed. :)

Well being in the state that I am anyways let me be the first to say F*!$ the golf gods. I think it's about time they move on to someone else already.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Well being in the state that I am anyways let me be the first to say F*!$ the golf gods. I think it's about time they move on to someone else already.

Dude, you need to get out of those ***** cavity backs you're playing and into some blades. That way when you hit a bad shot, you'll be able to "feel" what went wrong. Time to man up.

Kevin

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Dude, you need to get out of those ***** cavity backs you're playing and into some blades. That way when you hit a bad shot, you'll be able to "feel" what went wrong. Time to man up.

Kevin

I totally agree.

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
Where is the divot? Before or after the ball and if it is after, how far? I struggled with some thin shots last year and found the bottom of my swing was way too far after the ball. I was really trying hard to drive onto my left side and it turned into a major hip slide. I went back to staying centered and it all cleared up.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Where is the divot? Before or after the ball and if it is after, how far? I struggled with some thin shots last year and found the bottom of my swing was way too far after the ball. I was really trying hard to drive onto my left side and it turned into a major hip slide. I went back to staying centered and it all cleared up.

I have really thought about that. The divot is after... a ways after. What's wierd about it is they are not skulls, thin maybe but not skulls. I do think you are right on though. On the range when I have a few tries to diagnose I always clear it up by keeping everything quiet. On the course I keep slipping back to it though. I'll address the ball, everything looks good and feels good, i'm confident in my alignment and then I pull one of those. It's in the swing for sure. That really sounds like it. At this point i'd take a few fat shots just to know i'm getting away from it.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I had the same issue, fortunately going back to my old irons seemed to help on sunday, I was quite a bit more conscious of slowing my tempo down as well.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I had been struggling to hit irons lately. I realized that I was doing a reverse pivot. I realized this because my swing was KILLING my back. In an effort to avoid swaying going back, I was leaning forward. My downswing then became a violent rising of my left side while I tried to turn my upper body; the result was a reverse weight shift. So my thought became sitting in place and really just rotating without making and conscious lean, and I starting hitting it MUCH better. Worth a shot, if you feel that you're making a similar error.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have a suggestion that will solve your problem. Scrap up $30 ($35?) for a 1/2 hour session with Bobby Capon Jr. at Capon's golf driving range in Kenosha and he'll have you straightened out so fast your head will spin. No kidding. I'll go with you for kicks. There are times you can just not solve a problem on your own.

free lesson mooch ;)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I had the case of the shanks for a week. Couldn't hit an iron at all. Maybe 2 out of 10 were "decent", and none happened to be good at all.

Went out today, and slowed it down, realized I was shanking the damn thing. Would feel like a good swing, and divot and then off to the right and low.... Then I noticed my ball mark, on my hosel of my 7 iron.. Gee.... wonder how that happened!! Doubled the hole.

Fixed my shank on the 2nd hole, went par, bogey, par, par, birdie, bogey( post bird **** up ), bogey, par.

What the hell!!??!

Anyways.. don't worry about it. Slow your game down, ask someone to watch your swing and see if see something kinda... odd. My buddy has an ugly swing, and he can atleast tell me that I'm standing up on my downswing.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Like has been said, check your tempo. Mine had gone to pot, and now that I have slowed everyhting down, I am hitting everything much better. Now my putting has gone to hell in a handbasket. Gotta love this game.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.