1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Smash" factor

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by limpalong, Jul 30, 2019.

1. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    A few months ago, I picked up a V-Series Callaway driver from a used bin. It was in pretty sad shape. Wanted it more for the shaft than for the head. There was a small "ding" on the sole, near the toe. Nothing structural or really even noticeable, unless you looked really close. I cut the shaft down 1" and have been hitting it for quite a few rounds.
    The driver has been working. This morning, I was hitting drives as long as my normal distances. Nothing even hinted there could be a problem with the club.
    Was on #13 tee box. Something just caught my eye as I looked down at the driver. I hit a great drive and took a good look at the driver as I headed towards the cart. The think is cracked all along the top of the head, paralleling the face. The crack is probably less than 1/16th of an inch back from the face. I used the driver the rest of the round with zero ill effects.
    With the small "ding" in the underside of the toe, I'm certain Callaway would not do anything. I may take it to my local golf shop... that's where I got it... and see what they say. In the meantime, I've moved that cut down shaft over to my XR16. Will see how that combo works tomorrow.
    I doubt my "geezer" swing speed was anywhere near high enough to cause the structural damage. Assume it was cracked by the previous owner and I just didn't see it until now. As anal as I am about my clubs, difficult to believe. No other explanation makes sense.

2. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    [​IMG]

limpalong and TEA Time like this.
  3. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

That crack probably made it non-conforming and is the reason you hit it so far. :D

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Hmmm... Maybe like a slingshot? I may want to patent that.