• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So, at the end...was it all Hype?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I thought it was a good idea to just "pack" all comments together in one thread about this year's new Hyper-Hyped" drivers....

So, after two or three months since the introduction of the R11 and rest of this year's drivers, and now that the hypes has been controlled and most of us have played at least a couple of the new drivers, what are your thoughts?

Do haters still hate white and do lovers still praise for white in TM?
Is the New-Composite really any better than Titanium as Callaway assured?
Aerodynamics really make your driver longer-better or is it just Adams PR?
Is it all in the weight and new shafts as Cleveland praised?

Well, I have tried three of this year's drivers: R11, Superfast 2.0, Adams 9064SL

Here are my thoughts:

R11:
It is white indeed. The face looks pretty nice though. Pretty good head indeed, but I would trade it for an older R9 Supertri in a blink. The BLUR shaft might be the bordiest shaft ever, and its "aluminum-bat feel" takes it into a whole new dimension on suckiness. I'm sure with a nicer SHORTER shaft the head would really perform, but with this one, it just doesn't justify spending anything if you already own any driver from the R9 family.

SF 2.0:
I really hated this driver. The face is just to weird shaped to look at address, the marker is not centered, it looks so close I was worried about getting a hook all the time, etc. The 46.5in X-Con wobbles all the time even in a flex superior to the one I usually play, and the
sound is just way too funny. I wouldn't buy this driver even if it came down to $100

Adams 9064SL:
I'm just waiting for the price drop of this driver and I'm jumping into one for sure. Really delicate lines, very classical shaped. The RIP is an awesome feeling shaft (I don't remember if it was an Alpha or a Gamma). Ball flight was penetrating, piercing, sound is as alright, but specially, center misses didn't lose much distance at all. $399 is way too much for my budget to spend on this driver, but you'll have my signature change as soon as I can get one for half that price across the pond.

Anybody else has any thoughts?

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Xam, I am loving the R11. The white is no big plus or minus for me. I got fitted for the one I have, and I actually feel that the Blur shaft is a little soft for me(in a S flex) but it helps me throttle back swinging the club. The other I have no clue about, but I am digging the driver and the the 3 wd and the hybrid I put in the bag this year.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Adams 9064SL:
I'm just waiting for the price drop of this driver and I'm jumping into one for sure. Really delicate lines, very classical shaped. The RIP is an awesome feeling shaft (I don't remember if it was an Alpha or a Gamma). Ball flight was penetrating, piercing, sound is as alright, but specially, center misses didn't lose much distance at all. $399 is way too much for my budget to spend on this driver, but you'll have my signature change as soon as I can get one for half that price across the pond.

Crap, you're a couple weeks too late. We just had a new Golftown open in our city and they had a one day special for 9064's at $99 in any loft, stock shaft. I woulda picked one up for you.

That said, the 9064 is not as long as the 9015. My two picks for this year are the Callaway Razr Hawk Tour and the Titleist 910 D2/D3. Both are just juggernauts for distance and forgiveness.

You couldn't pay me to play a TM driver, this year even more. Ugly as sin and lacking pop. IMO, of course.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I didn't mind the look of the SF 2.0.

My buddy just picked up a SuperTri with a Fubuki - I can't wait to try that. And of course I leave for FL tomorrow and the i15 is staying home, and the 910 is coming with. I'll provide my review in a few days. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I didn't mind the look of the SF 2.0.

My buddy just picked up a SuperTri with a Fubuki - I can't wait to try that. And of course I leave for FL tomorrow and the i15 is staying home, and the 910 is coming with. I'll provide my review in a few days. :)

That's awesome. And with the senior flex shaft in it, shouldn't have trouble selling it in FL to some Canadian retiree if it doesn't work out.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
That's awesome. And with the senior flex shaft in it, shouldn't have trouble selling it in FL to some Canadian retiree if it doesn't work out.

R35

LOL - that 'ahina is surprisingly firm. I think I should have went for the kai'li

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I have now gamed the R9 Supertri 9.5 with a Motore (S) shaft about 4 rounds. I still haven't got enough swing speed to really put it through it's paces, but it sits well, looks nice, is well balanced and quite forgiving. Flight is quite good, but I am struggling a bit into the wind (that's more my swing than the club). It han't blown my socks off in terms of performance, but I am hitting a lot of fairways. I haven't dicked about with the settings yet, looking forward to doing that in my lab some time soon, and I may try a new shaft, perhaps the RIP. Quite fancy Rory's latest ???

I would fancy a knock of the R11 and a shot on the D2/D3. But for now I'm happy to give this a while in the bag. I'd say by June I'll be swinging out of my boots again.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Crap, you're a couple weeks too late. We just had a new Golftown open in our city and they had a one day special for 9064's at $99 in any loft, stock shaft. I woulda picked one up for you. R35

$99? Oh my God! That would have been awesome!!!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
$99? Oh my God! That would have been awesome!!!!

I almost bought one just for resale. But my conscience weighed in and said no. Plus, when I got there, they had no 8.5* left. Bummer. :D

R35

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
So I picked up the Cleveland launcher Dst tour with the whiteboard shaft. I had it cut down in length to just under 44". It has already replaced my taylormade tour burner with the blueboard shaft. I love the open face at address, no more messing with my hands to get the club to lay open. I can work it either way when I need to but the primary shot shape is a baby fade which has me staying in more fairways.

As for the r11 I liked the look of the head but just wasnt able to get a setup I felt comfortable with for less than my first born child. It did feel very solid and with the proper adjustments was able to have a slightly open face at address which was nice. But honestly I don't think any manufacturers heads are that much better than anothers once you are looking at the big guys and it all comes down to finding a good shaft head combo.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I am not a big fan of either of the new TM drivers, they don't feel very solid to me at impact. The Titleist 910 drivers are very solid, if not for the alignment mark on the crown I would be able to play one even the adjustable hosel is well hidden. The new Nike driver is really solid, I just don't like the adjustable heads, so I am sticking with the glued head from last season. If they put a glued version of the VR Pro out, it would be in my bag in a second.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Well, dumped the R11 driver and 3 wood and replaced them with the 910 series Titleist. Liking them so far, the Ahina shafts are pretty solid(even thought they are a made for).
TM R11 was a good club when I was on, but it sucked when I was off even a little bit...910s seem to not suffer from that malaise...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, dumped the R11 driver and 3 wood and replaced them with the 910 series Titleist. Liking them so far, the Ahina shafts are pretty solid(even thought they are a made for).
TM R11 was a good club when I was on, but it sucked when I was off even a little bit...910s seem to not suffer from that malaise...

Quoted for truth. The 910 is something else. People whine about which is better, the R11 or the RAZR Tour. Titleist is definitely a contender against the Cally, the R11 is a ways back, IMO.

R35

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Id say the R11 is all hype. I didnt find it to be any better than the R9 and I know quite a few people who tried the R11 and didnt like it at all.
What about the Mizuno JPX-800? Ive tried and I actually really like it. Its a really easy club to hit straight and long and it has a nice sound at impact. If I were in the market for a driver Id buy one in an instant.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Loving the 910. I am hitting it as far as my i15 now in VT and it is landing and plugging. Plus it is MILES more forgiving.

Down in FL I was getting some nice run out also.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online