• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So, if you were Cory Pavin....

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
And Tiger fails to automatically qualify for the Ryder Cup team....do you make him a captains pick? Right now he's @ # 9, and not automatically in.

I've got two thoughts on this:

Yes, I'd make him a pick: He's probably the most competitive mo-fo out there on the golf course. And he is, after all, Tiger-freaking Woods. How can you not have him on your squad?

No, I'd go with someone else: (Fowler, Barnes?) Let's face it, TW's game has been sucking donkey-balls. Add to that the fact that the match is in Europe...the press will be asking questions to all of the team members that relate to Tiger's personal woes..as opposed to focusing on the match itself. Do we really want that type of distraction? Add that to the fact that his RC history has been less than impressive, to say the least.

I'd have to say, if I were Pavin...that the con's outweigh the pros to making TW a captains pick. I'd go with a hotter hand/club.

Latest Ryder Cup point standings

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
it may all be moot as there's talk of Tiger shutting it down til next year. if he sucks "donkey balls" at the final major, i say he's gone.

either way, i think Corey is almost obligated to ask Tiger if he wants to play, and Tiger should say no.

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Interesting, that's something I hadnt considered, and I'm thinking you're right that if Pavin made him a captains pick, that TW might turn it down. Despite his personal life flaws, he is a proud mo-fo, and if he's not playing his best, or at least 1/2 his best...that he might say no.

Good point.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
He has to invite him or people will jump at him, specially if the U.S. loses. But Tiggy should be man enough to decline the invitation and accept he sucks right now and doesn't deserve a place at all.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Eau contraire from me. Golf is a game of humble. If he's asked, he should accept both the invitation and the challenge to improve. An invitation is a request to join the team, not a request to go away.

Footnote for the looneys: I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Footnote for the looneys: I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater, I am not a Tiger lover or a Tiger hater.

So how do you feel about Tiger?...LOL Just messing with you.:)

If NVM is right, maybe Tiger should hang it up or start practicing..Cause he is hard to watch the way he is going...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
TW's Ryder Cup record isn't stellar. His play, since his Skanksgiving Eve searching for a fire hydrant to run over, has been less than the best out there. He didn't play his way in. He isn't playing well now. Why should Pavin be vilified if he chooses another participant?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Tiger finished 30 strokes off the lead today, and was ahead of only three players at the finish. I never thought I'd see Tiger finish almost a full 9 holes off the lead, strokewise. Now that I have, I would absolutely not invite him to the Ryder Cup team. I would say, "Tiger has enough on his plate at this point, and I don't think his game is where he wants it to be."

Let the media jump. It's what they do.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
looks like Sergio is taking a couple months off after the PGA, taking himself out of the Ryder Cup. i know he's not even close to being on the list, but he's kinda in the same position as Tiger is, and he just took himself out of the equation of being a captain's pick.

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
looks like Sergio is taking a couple months off after the PGA, taking himself out of the Ryder Cup. i know he's not even close to being on the list, but he's kinda in the same position as Tiger is, and he just took himself out of the equation of being a captain's pick.

10-1 Tiger does the same, especially if he finishes out of the top 5 this week @ Whistling Straits, which, I'm betting he will. Question is, does he call a coach, or a psychiatrist?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Here are my thoughts, they are similar to Xamilo.

Pavin HAS to make Tiger a captains pick. This cannot be debated. The amount of heat he would take for not at least offering the spot would be HUGE, especially if they lose. If they win without him it would be less but still he would take a ton of questions as to why he didn't pick Tiger.

if Tiger is still playing like crap after the PGA and he is made a captains pick, he will decline politely saying his game isn't where it should be and we would all agree with him. I know plenty of us here on this board are not fans of Tiger and despise what he has done, but this is one area I don't think he would have a hard time "owning up" to where he is mentally and where his game is (or isn't).

These two statements are fact in my mind. Tiger has no desire to go to the Ryder Cup and take questions about why his game isn't up to snuff and more questions about his personal life. Pavin is to smart to set himself up for the firestorm of NOT taking Tiger. Hell even Nicklaus said that Pavin would be a fool not to.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
If TW plays poorly in the first two rounds at Whistling Straits he will say something akin to "I've told Pavin that he shouldn't consider me for the RC" in a press conference, pre-empting the whole thing for Pavin so he can go about his captain's picks calmly and orderly. He might allure to his neck or something similar, but he knows that taking charge will ease the burden on CP and that is also "showing more respect for the game" one of his stated goals at the mea culpa show.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Tiger said today that if he doesn't make the team on points, and is asked by Pavin to play the Ryder Cup, that he will accept the invite and play.

I guess it is up to Pavin now, unless Tiger finds a game somewhere this week and gets enough points to make the top 8.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.