• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spammers are getting Tricksy...

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I am curious. When I first started posting on this site, I tried to include a link to a picture of a putter I was talking about to ease the confusion when I was asking for help. I was stopped due to a low post count. How are new users getting their links to show up? I am sure this involves some kind of computer/internet savvy that is waaaayyy beyond me. My computer turns on and off most of the time when I tell it too, but because it must insist on its own separate being it does turn on and off at will. I just read yet another thread of spam where a brand new user was able to get a link through before it was removed by the "authorities" hehehe and I was curious. Thanks.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
When you submit a post, you see that little globe with the paperclip looking thing on it? That is a URL director. It will frame your link and hyperlink it in your post.

More often than not, first posts that include links to other shops, promotional garbage and what have you get nuked immediately. This isn't our first trip around the block. Generally, newbies get it, stick it out, then post links to illustrate questions, concerns, sales, whatever. I have no problem with the latter, but coming on full bore and posting links outside the walls of the site and undermining the paying sponsors makes no sense and is where we draw the line.

I'll look into your profile abou the link problem, but you should have the ability to do so.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Your profile seems solid, other than your timezone being set to Lima, Peru. :D

Try the URL thing, let me know if it works. Preferrably without any spamming. ;)

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Rock..you need to re-read...

He is asking how they are getting around it when he was stopped programaticaly when he first joined....

Some spammers have found a way around the filters put in place by the management...to be honest, i have never tried to get around them so i have no clue how they do it but i suppose its embedded in a way that filters are not picking it up correctly.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thats kinda what I gathered to Clark. I recall when I first joined I tried to post a link of a picture of some irons I was looking to buy but it wouldn't allow me to.

Plus that last one was pretty crafty too, trying to argue his case that he wasn't a spammer. He gave it away when Lyle gave him a bad experience with them and he defended it by saying, "maybe they are working on their customer service". ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hmm. I think maybe just the URL box is disabled until you get 10 posts. But typing in a URL wouldn't stop the software from identifying that it's a hyperlink.

Either way, it keeps us on our toes. :D

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
It's a hack (software add on) that I had disabled because the forum software passed the hacks upgrades and the two were no longer compatible.

I should see if a new version is available now that you mention it.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Dude, I have a chocolate chip peanut butter cheesecake like two weeks ago.

It was sooooooooooooo good. But it makes me fat. But it was sooooooooooooo good.

Try the white chocolate with raspberry swirl from Cheesecake Factory. OMG!!!11

🔥 Latest posts