• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Standard Loft versus Effective Loft

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I tried this question on another site and got zero responses. So hopefully I'll get one or two here.
I'm currently playing a Callaway XR16 10.5* loft set at +2 with good results. However, I'm thinking of getting a Taylormade M2 2017 (I have the fairways and they're great). Should I look at a 12* M2 or the 10.5 set at +2*? Since I might buy pre-owned, I doubt I'll be able to get fitted by a fitter. I'm hoping to find a demo I can try before I buy.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I'd go 10.5 and adjust from there based on preferred ball flight.
If his preferred flight comes from a 12.5 then why not just get a 12.5? I'm not trying to be a dick here, even though that comes naturally, I am genuinely curious because I know nothing about what he's asking.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
If his preferred flight comes from a 12.5 then why not just get a 12.5? I'm not trying to be a dick here, even though that comes naturally, I am genuinely curious because I know nothing about what he's asking.

If it really was 12.5 I’d agree but the loft on drivers is not a precise thing (particularly between manufacturers). My suggestion was based on not painting himself into a corner.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My 0.02? I think you’re really throwing darts at a dartboard whilst blindfolded.

I would go to a fitter. The fitter I use will retrofit clubs already owned. I’m sure there would be someone in your area who would do the same.

A reputable driver and shaft (that can be adjusted by the fitter) would do nicely.

But then again given that you are getting good results with the Callaway there appears no good reason to change. It’s common to play a different brand driver to the fairway. They’re two vastly different clubs.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Think we're talking about a couple of things.

In Ping's TiSi drivers, they promoted EF (Effective Loft) vs. stated loft. If you were to measure the angle of loft on, say, one of their 12 degree EF drivers it would measure 10 or 11 degrees. They suggested the weight placement and MOI of the head design would flight the ball higher than a stated loft. That marketing idea flopped!

What I believe you are asking is the difference between a 10.5 degree adjustable driver of today set at +2 and a 12 degree standard loft driver... also adjustable. The adjustable drivers of today tend to close the face as you increase loft and open the face as you lower the loft. Your 10.5 set a +2 is, supposedly, a slightly closed face. The 12 degree driver would be a neutral face. If you had two XR's, for instance, one with 10.5 set at +2 and one that was a 12 degree standard loft, the 10.5 set at +2 would be a little more closed face than the 12 degree.
When we set our adjustable drivers to the "D" setting, that does not close the face. All it does is make the club a little more upright in lie angle.
As others have stated, go hit them or get fitted before buying. The shaft in your XR will be different than the shaft in a "M" series. The shaft can make a considerable difference in "effective loft" as one will give you a different trajectory than the other. There are also torque differences in the shafts.
Again... it's not math or science. It's the dynamics of your personal swing characteristic and how those characteristics match the loft, lie, and shaft of the particular club.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I love Cobra's idea where there is no set loft on the head. You just put the shaft in the head with the loft you want and off you go. I've got my King LTD set at 12° loft but it does NOT go higher then the other loft settings for some reason I'll never understand and don't really care to try. It DOES go farther at that setting and I don't understand that either but it's staying there because I've gained back some serious yardage and accuracy with it set there.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
I love Cobra's idea where there is no set loft on the head. You just put the shaft in the head with the loft you want and off you go. I've got my King LTD set at 12° loft but it does NOT go higher then the other loft settings for some reason I'll never understand and don't really care to try. It DOES go farther at that setting and I don't understand that either but it's staying there because I've gained back some serious yardage and accuracy with it set there.

Gained serious distance huh? Can you hit your driver past my 6 iron yet...

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Gained serious distance huh? Can you hit your driver past my 6 iron yet...
king_of_the_dickheads_award.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It's not how you drive. It's how you arrive!

In our geezer group, on of our favorite sayings is "Worst drive. Best score." A son-in-law is a regular in our weekend group. He hits the ball a mile. His driver is his strength and is usually in the fairway... waaaayyyyy down the fairway. Yet, he and I will compete back and forth for who cards the lowest score. No matter how far you hit the ball, you still have to hit the next shot.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
It's not how you drive. It's how you arrive!

In our geezer group, on of our favorite sayings is "Worst drive. Best score." A son-in-law is a regular in our weekend group. He hits the ball a mile. His driver is his strength and is usually in the fairway... waaaayyyyy down the fairway. Yet, he and I will compete back and forth for who cards the lowest score. No matter how far you hit the ball, you still have to hit the next shot.
......and THEN you have to putt!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
......and THEN you have to putt!
#10 on our course is a long par 5. 175 yards straight out from the tee box it turns 90 degrees to the left. A couple tall Cottonwood trees guard the corner. The flat-bellies take a driver over the trees. We mere hackers hit driver or fairway woods past the corner to the middle of the fairway... 200 to 210.
My G400 has been working extremely well. For some unknown reason, this morning the voices in my head told me I could go over the trees and cut the corner. Teed the ball high and swung outta my shoes. Hit the top quarter of the ball and hit a grounder leaving rooster tails in the dew-wet grass. The ball probably went all of about 100 yards.
A punched 5-wood missed trees, even though the ball probably smelled of tree bark as I made through and to the fairway. A 3-hybrid stayed a little left and short. CBX wedge to 4 feet and a putt for par.
The other two guys had hit nice drives past the corner to the middle of the fairway. Mine was the only par of the three. One bogeyed. The other had a 7.
Seve would have been proud of my scrambling ability. Who needs perfect drives...….

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
#10 on our course is a long par 5. 175 yards straight out from the tee box it turns 90 degrees to the left. A couple tall Cottonwood trees guard the corner. The flat-bellies take a driver over the trees. We mere hackers hit driver or fairway woods past the corner to the middle of the fairway... 200 to 210.
My G400 has been working extremely well. For some unknown reason, this morning the voices in my head told me I could go over the trees and cut the corner. Teed the ball high and swung outta my shoes. Hit the top quarter of the ball and hit a grounder leaving rooster tails in the dew-wet grass. The ball probably went all of about 100 yards.
A punched 5-wood missed trees, even though the ball probably smelled of tree bark as I made through and to the fairway. A 3-hybrid stayed a little left and short. CBX wedge to 4 feet and a putt for par.
The other two guys had hit nice drives past the corner to the middle of the fairway. Mine was the only par of the three. One bogeyed. The other had a 7.
Seve would have been proud of my scrambling ability. Who needs perfect drives...….
Golf is a series of continual recoveries from the shot that just happened.

Confucious

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Thanks. Since posting I found a TM M2 I could demo at the range. I set it at 12.5* and I think it's a little longer than my XR16.
I'm going to play 18 tomorrow and see how it performs. The seller wants $250 . It looks nearly new and every new one I've seen online is $299.99. If I can pick up 10 yards or so I plan to make the deal.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.