• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steel Shafted Fairway Metals

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
After 50 years of playing golf I've finally come to the realization that my swing works better with heavier clubs. I've always preferred steel shafted irons even as I've aged, but like everyone else I've been playing (or trying to play) the light graphite shafted fairways that are the norm today. I recently gave up and switched back to a set of steel shafted 2004 Callaway Big Bertha 3,5 and 7 fairways. The results are amazing. I guess while my overall swing speed is diminishing, my tempo is still pretty fast. Now I'm wondering if I should go to a heavier driver shaft. Does anyone else out there have a similar situation? If so, I'd like to hear from you.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
After 50 years of playing golf I've finally come to the realization that my swing works better with heavier clubs. I've always preferred steel shafted irons even as I've aged, but like everyone else I've been playing (or trying to play) the light graphite shafted fairways that are the norm today. I recently gave up and switched back to a set of steel shafted 2004 Callaway Big Bertha 3,5 and 7 fairways. The results are amazing. I guess while my overall swing speed is diminishing, my tempo is still pretty fast. Now I'm wondering if I should go to a heavier driver shaft. Does anyone else out there have a similar situation? If so, I'd like to hear from you.

My tempo is quick as well but I’ve never gone with steel shafted woods. IIRC, @azgreg does.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've got True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shafts in every club in the bag except for the putter.

Last edited:
OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I've got True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shafts in every club in the bag except for the putter.

That's interesting. I'll bet it's hard to find a steel driver shaft these days. I think Nippon still makes one, but True Temper doesn't even have steel fairway shafts anymore.
My irons are XP 95 R300 and I think my 2004 Big Bertha fairways are either Dynamic Gold R300s or Memphis 10s. The bands aren't there anymore so I'm not sure.
The shaft in my Cally XR16 driver is a Fujikura Vista Pro 55R. I'm thinking of trying a Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 65R and see if that works better.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Yes, Golfworks carries them, but if you scroll down to the questions you will see that True Temper has stopped production and Golfworks only has a few S300s at 46" left. I wish I could find some XP 95 R300s at 46", but I don't think they exist. I know there are some 80 gram graphite fairway shafts out there. Maybe that's an option if and when I decide to go that route. For now, I'm sticking with the 2004 Berthas with steel shafts.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Yes, Golfworks carries them, but if you scroll down to the questions you will see that True Temper has stopped production and Golfworks only has a few S300s at 46" left. I wish I could find some XP 95 R300s at 46", but I don't think they exist. I know there are some 80 gram graphite fairway shafts out there. Maybe that's an option if and when I decide to go that route. For now, I'm sticking with the 2004 Berthas with steel shafts.
I used to game those very clubs back on 2004 in steel. Great stix!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.