• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steve Williams.....

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
just said that in 33 years of caddying, the win this week is the best of his career.

Wow, that's quite a statement.

dunagan15

Aug 17, 2008
A very bold statement indeed. Almost a slap in the face to a certain someone.

I feel like that is all it is, considering how quickly he made the comment about how Tiger fired him on the phone. Instead of being the bigger man, making the comment, and being happy for Adam for performing well and hopefully taking that into next week, instead he chose to continue his jab shots at Tiger (I'm not on either mans side, due to not knowing the true story and really don't care, but at least Tiger is being professional about it and letting it go and moving on, unlike Wiliams.) I would think the win alone would speak for itself.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I feel like that is all it is, considering how quickly he made the comment about how Tiger fired him on the phone. Instead of being the bigger man, making the comment, and being happy for Adam for performing well and hopefully taking that into next week, instead he chose to continue his jab shots at Tiger (I'm not on either mans side, due to not knowing the true story and really don't care, but at least Tiger is being professional about it and letting it go and moving on, unlike Wiliams.) I would think the win alone would speak for itself.

Agree. Very classless move by Steve. Seems as though he has quite an ego.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I wouldn't say it was "classless" but I would say it was egotistical. Let's face it, caddies rarely get interviewed and this soap opera couldn't have played out any better for the media. This was bound to happen and Williams gave the media exactly what they wanted.

I, for one, can't wait to see Scott and Woods paired together.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think he needs to keep his yap shut... taking away from his players win IMO...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I think he needs to keep his yap shut... taking away from his players win IMO...

I agree. If I were Adam Scott, I wouldn't be happy with his comments at all. It was a self-centered, tastless thing to say when he should've been praising Scott's play.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The caddie, Williams, was asked a question and answered it. CBS knew where the story was. The commentators would have been better thought of had they spent more time with Scott than with Williams. But, no story there. Caddies, even one who has carried a bag in many major wins, are not usually interviewed after the round. Caddies do not swing a club or make the putts. Caddies are there to 'show up, keep up, and shut up'. The commentators were looking for... were hoping for a reply similar to what Williams gave them.

Should Williams have refused the interview? In retrospect, probably. He sure didn't spend a lot of time thinking before speaking. But, when asked, he spoke his mind.

I would believe Scott will have a talk with Williams and suggest he respectfully refuse intereviews in the future. It made for good press.... for everyone except Scott. If Williams had fun, as he said he did, and if he and Scott keep on winning.... all the remarks made on internet discussion boards will soon be forgotten. That is, forgotten by everyone except a specific PGA player. Yes, somewhere, Scott and Woods will be paired. I hope it's on a Sunday in the final round of a major. Talk about some increased viewing stats for a televised PGA event........

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Honestly...when was the last time ya'll saw a caddie interviewed after around like Williams was? Especially in a non-major? Damn, even in majors I cant recall ever seeing a caddie interview. I think they spent more time with him then they did with Scott. CBS obviously was trying to create the story here...but Williams should have been the bigger man.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I'm genuinely impressed. He has actually won 145 tournaments. Has never swung a club in any of them, but won them. Steve Williams is not Adam Scott's caddie. Adam Scott is Steve Williams player. Adam should be friggin honored. It is actually Adam's job to show up, keep up, and shut up. He should worry not... Steve will win the tournaments. Nevermind that nobody would've ever known or gave a $hit about Steve Williams minus Eldrick Woods. Hell, I still don't give a $hit about Steve Williams.

Steve Williams is bitter about being let go. Understandable, but nobody actually believes that this win was the best for him. He made himself look childish by even saying that. I sure hope Adam can make it through all this drama and continue to play good golf. I also hope that Tiger gets back to form. Lastly I hope Steve Williams shuts his trap and just does his job.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I'm genuinely impressed. He has actually won 145 tournaments. Has never swung a club in any of them, but won them. Steve Williams is not Adam Scott's caddie. Adam Scott is Steve Williams player. Adam should be friggin honored. It is actually Adam's job to show up, keep up, and shut up. He should worry not... Steve will win the tournaments. Nevermind that nobody would've ever known or gave a $hit about Steve Williams minus Eldrick Woods. Hell, I still don't give a $hit about Steve Williams.

Steve Williams is bitter about being let go. Understandable, but nobody actually believes that this win was the best for him. He made himself look childish by even saying that. I sure hope Adam can make it through all this drama and continue to play good golf. I also hope that Tiger gets back to form. Lastly I hope Steve Williams shuts his trap and just does his job.

Adam should tell Stevie to STFU and do his job, and quit drawing attention to himself. He could have easily told CBS "No, this is Adam's win...go interview him". I honestly dont see this relationship lasting long, if this crap continues. If I were Scott, I certainly wouldnt want the drama....and would make sure my caddie doesnt participate, if he wants to keep his job.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Adam should tell Stevie to STFU and do his job, and quit drawing attention to himself. He could have easily told CBS "No, this is Adam's win...go interview him". I honestly dont see this relationship lasting long, if this crap continues. If I were Scott, I certainly wouldnt want the drama....and would make sure my caddie doesnt participate, if he wants to keep his job.

Not that it will happen, but I would love nothing more than to see Tiger and Scott in the final pairing on Sunday and watch Tiger shoot a 58 on that a$$ to stomp Steve and all the hatin a$$ nay-sayers into the friggin core of the earth!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online