• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stories of the season so far

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
My best golf buddy... he and I own a cart as 50/50 partners... had colon cancer surgery this past winter. January, he had a portion of his colon removed and an ostomy bag installed. About 2 weeks ago, he had the "drop down" surgery where the ostomy was removed and his colon reconnected. Saturday, he was playing quite well. However, he was whining that he should be playing from the forward tees since he was "handicapped". I couldn't find a fairway with my driver and told him as long as he was driving the ball better than I, he wasn't going to move up!!!! As we came off #4 green, he commented about how much further ahead the forward tees were on #5. "I'm really not feeling up to my old self. I really need to hit from the red tees." So, I told him.... "I think you better go over in the bushes and make sure all your plumbing is still there. As much as you are whining about playing from the ladies tees, I wonder if the surgeon got greedy, cut off your manhood, and has it in a jar in his office for people to laugh at when they see one that short!!" He hit a good drive. I tee'd it up and followed with one of my best drives of the day. When I turned around, he had upzipped his pants... stuck his hand/arm down the front of his pants and had his finger "dangling" out through the open zipper. "See! It's still there!"

There were two others besides us in the group. All three say the look on my face when I turned around and saw the "dangling participle" made their day. As you can tell... it can be difficult to maintain focus if you play in our group!!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
One of my walking buddies decided his push cart was getting dirty and needed a wash. So he threw it in the back of his truck to carry it down to the car wash. It blew out on the way and he is now the owner of a brand new Clicgear cart. The other day I joked with him it was looking a little dirty and needed a good cleaning. Messed with his head or something, he played like crap the rest of the round, :)

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Yesterday, I had a brand new pro-V picked up off of the course by a passing cart who I suppose didn't see me coming. They picked it and never looked back. That was not funny though!!!!

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
It always takes me a number of rounds to get my game together in the Spring: old, fat, stiff, etc. That's my excuse for my 12 year old daughter dropping a 44 on top my 46 on the front nine last Saturday. Luckily I managed a blistering 43 on the back to her 47 to edge her by two for the day. LOL.

Sheesh. I need to hit some balls before it becomes a common occurrence.

Kevin

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I hear ya esox. On sunday my 10 year old made it thru the first 5 holes 1 over par before he started unraveling. He had me worried.

<OBJECT width="400" height="300"><EMBED height=300 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=400 src=http://www.facebook.com/v/1156477210906 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED></OBJECT>

doof_d

Nov 28, 2009
I've been out 5 or 6 times last week, pretty much right from when the course opened, I was out to walk 36 a day when time permits, 18 or 9 and practice session if I'm tight for time. Always felt that playing as much as possible early in the season is the most effective way to determine what's working and what's not, nevermind the thrill of playing after a LONG winter.

Of course, we got a cold snap on Friday and it's been: windy, snow, rain, cold and all around miserable, so I've just been tinkering with shafts and doing some regrips for guys so it's not the end of the world.

The first time out, I shot 82. Played the front 3 over, parred 3 of the next 4, then made a couple bad swings. GREAT first round in my books. Later that afternoon, 84. Again 4 over on the front, birdie 10, then the wheels totally fell off and I had to scramble lots to get around the back in 45. Felt like I was doing pretty much everything OK, from fair to very good. Obviously, the feel part of the game is off after a long layoff.

Since that 1st day, I've played another5 rounds. Only one of them 85, it felt like (and the card confirmed) that I've been playing pretty close to bogey golf. Not very good. I'll play a few more rounds once it warms up, then go talk to our pro bout setting up a series of lessons in April, might as well do what I can to try to focus on her advice/teaching, and have specific things I can work on during my practice routine.

FWIW, I ended last year @ 11.4. The year before I was 16ish, but played like absolute crap the first 6 weeks of 2009. Hopefully it'll come around sooner than that, but at least I know it WILL improve with lots of play, lessons, a good practice routine on the range, and my typical practice schedule for short game & putting.

Hope everyone else get's out playing soon!

Didn't play

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
What the hell's your problem? The weather has been great here lately.
Same old thing: 4 kids that play sports. So far we've had a game somewhere both days every weekend. That, and trying to sell any job I can get my hands on in this wonderful economy, has sort of put golf on the back burner.

I MIGHT get out this weekend if my boys are only playing one day because my youngest daughter (11) took a hit in her game last Sunday and sprained both wrists (she won't be playing this Sunday). Won't know until later this week if she fractured her growth plate because that doesn't show up on an X-ray...you have to wait and see how they heal.

My philosophy has always been that my kids will only be kids for a short part of my life, so they come first above all else.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
My philosophy has always been that my kids will only be kids for a short part of my life, so they come first above all else.

I can certainly appreciate that. However, my philosophy has always been that cat food is cheaper than college. The cats don't care when I play golf.:beach3:

Maybe this will be the summer that I finally hook up with you at least one time.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.