• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Strange Golf Theater on the Puget Sound

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
WHAT A STRANGE U.S. OPEN. And I'm not talking about Curtis.

Jordan Spieth has two majors.
(Image courtesy of AT&T)​
This one, the 115th, had some firsts. The first U.S. Open in the Pacific Northwest. The first U.S. Open broadcast by FOX Sports. The first U.S. Open (that I know of) that had holes (1 and 18) that changed par according to the whims of the USGA's course-setup guru, Mike Davis.

It might not have been the first U.S. Open to look and play like a British Open (think Shinnecock Hills), but it seemed as if it was. And, although loud complaining about the course is an annual U.S. Open tradition, it may have been the first national championship to provoke a near unanimous rejection of the putting surfaces.

(How many times did you hear about fescue and poa?)

On Golf Channel, Gary Player totally lost it. You'd think he'd spent four days hacking it around Chambers Bay and jabbing putts on those bumpy brown greens. What a spectacle.

In the end, that same kid who slipped into the Green Jacket in April now has his name on the silver U.S. Open trophy. Jordan Spieth was the winner after Dustin Johnson, who at times seemed destined to finally win his first major, three-putted from 12 feet on the 72nd green.

Halfway to golf's grand slam, Spieth, at least initially, couldn't process what had happened. "I don't really know," Spieth replied when asked how he felt moments after it was over.

I could have said the same thing after watching this U.S. Open the last several days. I was trying to figure out what I thought about that bizarre finish, about Chambers Bay, about FOX Sports and about the USGA, the course setup and, yes, those greens. And I've watched a lot of U.S. Opens. Perhaps too many.

About the finish. Some U.S. Opens are won. (Last year's, for instance.) Some are survived. This one felt like the latter. Not to take anything away from Spieth. His five-under total was the lowest score, and the lowest score wins. But the leaders -- Johnson, Spieth, Branden Grace -- stumbled through the closing holes, hitting sublime shots and then suddenly spraying the ball to ungodly places or nudging tentative putts on those crazy greens.

I'll admit this: I didn't have a good feeling when Johnson settled over that three-foot comebacker on the last green. There might have been millions of others who felt the same way.

Spieth simply survived Chambers Bay better than the rest.

Prior to the start of the tournament, I didn't think much about the interchangeable par employed by the USGA on holes 1 and 18. Now that it's over, I'd say I don't like it. It's too quirky, as if they're trying to be a little too clever, adding yet one more trick to their bag of tricks for golf's toughest examination. I don't think it's necessary.

I do like that the USGA took the U.S. Open to Chambers Bay, a relatively new public links-style course perched beside the Puget Sound. It was a risky move. Yes, the greens were a problem, but the course itself was interesting and a departure from typical Open venues. Maybe Chambers Bay will get an encore. Maybe players will get another crack at it with smoother putting surfaces.

I had an open mind when it came to FOX. By the end of the week, I admit to broadcast fatigue. I expect they'll get better.

The good thing about modern golf telecasts is that we get to see coverage of all the holes and watch virtually the entire tournament. That's also the bad thing. There are hours and hours and hours to fill. That's a curse, I think, especially here in America where more talk, more everything are often considered better.

It's not better, though, especially when quality is absent.

On to St. Andrews.

Source: Strange Golf Theater on the Puget Sound

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Talk about sugar coating and walking on egg shells... It was an epic failure on the grandest of stages. Whatever the USGA was testing or trying to accomplish, I hope they don't feel like it was successful because it was an absolute disaster.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Absolute Disaster? That sounds a little harsh...
Nope. I was there, it was a clusterfuck.
It started at 7am when we parked 5 miles from the course and 30 minutes later the shuttle dropped us off at what appeared to be the storage area for broken equipment. But it was a free shuttle, so there's that.
I paid nearly $400 for "Trophy Club" tickets. The trophy club is located as far from the drop off spot as possible, as far from the 18th hole as possible and as high in elevation as possible. We had a great view of the 13th hole landing zone, but any other golf watching needed binoculars or sitting in front of a tv. I didn't pay $400 to watch it on tv, which is fine because apparently Fox really screwed the pooch. The picture I posted of people walking through a valley was very typical of nearly every hole. Anytime there was a spot where a glimpse of actual play was possible, they put a tv tower in the way. We weren't allowed to climb on to the tops of the dunes to see any golf. If you wanted to watch golf up close, you needed to be in the front row of the grandstands (which they continually prided themselves on there being 18,000 seats available... which is great except there was easily twice that many people in attendance) or you needed to be so far away that you needed binoculars. In fact, we raced to beat Spieth to the 18th green but were never able to see him or DJ finish because the ONLY viewing area for 18 was in the grandstands that we weren't allowed to go in because they were full. We found a spot near the 18th and watched a big scoreboard that was showing DJ finishing but just before he started to putt, it turned off. We were able to hear DJ lose, though... so I guess that's just as nice, right? Some holes had zero access to fans, trains were blowing their horns as they rattled by 16 and 17, and even their concessions were f'd up. Inside the Tropy Club, they ran out of beer. The other concessions said they sold an IPA but when I ordered one, "we don't have that, just Bud Light and Shock Top." WTF? They also ran out of sandwiches!

The USGA and Chambers Bay built that course with the sole intention of hosting major tournaments and they f'd up pretty much everything about it. From the layout, to the accessibility, right down to the kind of grass they put on the sand. Ask any pro that played last week and they'll probably agree. Absolute disaster.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Clusterfuck and disaster are two different things. Clusterfuck = disorganized Absolute disaster is far worse.

I thought you were referring to the way the course played etc... Not the fan experience. Your experience did indeed sound like a clusterfuck.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
“I feel for spectators, really,” said Colin Montgomerie, “My wife and daughter are here, and there’s five holes where you just cannot spectate on, which is quite bizarre, for a course that some people say was designed for a major championship.”
“Yes, it’s weird. Amy wants to come out and follow and she simply can’t, she just can’t come out and, first of all, see.” said Phil Mickelson, “And I’ll tell you, golf spectators are probably the most dedicated fans, when you think about it. Any other sport you buy a ticket, you sit in a seat, and you watch 100 percent of the action. In golf, you buy a ticket, you’ve got to walk miles in rough territory, and you see but a fraction of the event. So I give a lot of credit to the people who are out here.”

Many holes closed to spectators in US Open at Chambers Bay - Sports - The Boston Globe

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Clusterfuck and disaster are two different things. Clusterfuck = disorganized Absolute disaster is far worse.

I thought you were referring to the way the course played etc... Not the fan experience. Your experience did indeed sound like a clusterfuck.
Not to argue semantics but I believe they both apply. The USGA attempted something for the sake of... whatever, and it failed miserably on all fronts. From fan experience to the player's disgust. I consider that a disaster.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I would be disappointed with the fan experience for $400. I cannot believe they would charge that much for a ticket and that someone would pay that much.

I have been to a number of tournaments and I will say that for some reason the LPGA seems to do the best job.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I would be disappointed with the fan experience for $400. I cannot believe they would charge that much for a ticket and that someone would pay that much.

I have been to a number of tournaments and I will say that for some reason the LPGA seems to do the best job.
Hey, treat people right and they'll come back. I'm hearing nothing but negative things about the USGA right now and I can't say I blame anyone for being pissed. I enjoyed the LPGA event I went to, as well, but I have to admit it may have had something to do with the eye candy.

Oh well, rant over. Like I said... Pebble Beach 2019. :cool:

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
TPC courses are great for fan viewing! You should try one of those perhaps next time...

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
TPC courses are great for fan viewing! You should try one of those perhaps next time...
Not sure if you're being serious or snarky but I actually mentioned yesterday that they should have built it more like a TPC course. :D

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Not sure if you're being serious or snarky but I actually mentioned yesterday that they should have built it more like a TPC course. :D
Perfect for spectators, not nessisarily the most difficult though. But I recon if the polished up the greens to about 12-1/2, and grew the rough out to 6+", they would be fairly different courses.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Hey, treat people right and they'll come back. I'm hearing nothing but negative things about the USGA right now and I can't say I blame anyone for being pissed. I enjoyed the LPGA event I went to, as well, but I have to admit it may have had something to do with the eye candy.

Oh well, rant over. Like I said... Pebble Beach 2019. :cool:

The LPGA does a good job with parking etc... Seems the fan experience is very important to them.

Maybe the USGA can get them to serve as a consultant or some other large venture that knows how to provide a superior customer service experience. Like Disney...

Members online