• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suggestions for golf drills for kids

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
I have been given the task by the owner of the golf course I work at to run a golf summer camp for kids. I know the swing and can give tips but never really instructed or taught kids. The ages will be anywhere between 6 and 12. Does anyone know good golf drills and activities for kids that are fun?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I have been given the task by the owner of the golf course I work at to run a golf summer camp for kids. I know the swing and can give tips but never really instructed or taught kids. The ages will be anywhere between 6 and 12. Does anyone know good golf drills and activities for kids that are fun?
I have a little youth golf program here and we based the "lessons" off of this site.

What Are the Best Golf Practice Drills for Junior Golfers - Welcome to The Golf College That Will Teach You How to Be a Professional Golfer

Pssst...it's good for us too. ;)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
When my oldest daughter was a Deb, they had a Daddy/Daughter golf day at Tobacco Road. The pro set up a putt putt course on the practice green using pine cones (large ones) as obstacles and string to mark each hole. You had to stay on the course (inside the strings) and you just added up your scores. Each D/D team had 1 total score, each person playing their own ball. The girls really enjoyed that. Now, they were 19, but you could adapt the idea to your age group. Maybe do it on the last day so the parents get to participate and then take their kids home. Also, each team got a gift from TR which was a logo hat with Daddy Daughter Deb Day embroidered on the back (or something to that effect...don't have it with me right now).

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I have 2 kids who have taken lessons, golf camps, pissed around with me etc. since they were tikes.

The girl, who is a natural, decided golf was a colossal bore and hasn't picked up a club in a couple of years.

Her younger brother, who likes sports more in general, has stuck with it.

This is what I've learned.

Kids like hitting things with sticks.

Kids have very short attention spans.

Focus more on the fun than the skills ... decent contact on a ball is pretty good.

Kids like games.

Targets are good ... like get the ball into a big circle = 1 point, smaller circle =2 points, smallest circle = 3 points, etc.

Kids like to do things in teams ... so group A gets to hit yellow balls, and group B gets to hit orange balls ... count up how many points they have at the end of the circle game.

If you get them out on a course, make everything match play and assign simple handicaps ... like strong kids get 0 strokes, weaker kids get 1 stroke per hole, weakest kids get 2 strokes per hole, etc.

Forget aggregate scores ... encourage kids to pick up balls when they blow up on a hole.

Make goals attainable ... like maybe forget holing out and just go with hitting greens or putting to see who is closest.

I've got to go to a hockey game ... I'll post more later.

Last edited:

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
Another one is goal posts.

I discovered this with my kids on a soccer field.

How many strokes to put the ball through the posts ... if they miss, they can play the ball back in front of the goal before putting it in.

Easily done with pylons.

And make things into team activities when you can ... kind of like when beginner adults play best ball shambles etc.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Thank you all for the input. I'm really excited to be in charge of something like this. The owner wants me to start with his kids to see how it goes and how I teach so trying to set the bar high. Hopefully he approves and it will be successful
Anything you can do to grow the game will be a success. :)

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I have 5 boys (ages 6-10) and taking them all to the range is an interesting adventure. By far their favorite thing is when I make games for ice cream or a dollar or something like first one to hit the 50 yard marker or we all get three shots to see who is closest to the tree. But hands down the most popular is a putting contest where I start by choosing a hole on the practice green and whomever gets down in the fewest shots gets to pick the next hole. They love this game. And its so simple. Otherwise I just challenge them with different things like see how far you can hit it today, go ahead and take a rip, or see if you can take a divot today, or see if you can chip it to the end of the tee box on the range today. They don't seem to notice they are learning.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I have 5 boys (ages 6-10) and taking them all to the range is an interesting adventure. By far their favorite thing is when I make games for ice cream or a dollar or something like first one to hit the 50 yard marker or we all get three shots to see who is closest to the tree. But hands down the most popular is a putting contest where I start by choosing a hole on the practice green and whomever gets down in the fewest shots gets to pick the next hole. They love this game. And its so simple. Otherwise I just challenge them with different things like see how far you can hit it today, go ahead and take a rip, or see if you can take a divot today, or see if you can chip it to the end of the tee box on the range today. They don't seem to notice they are learning.

Yes ... this.

Another one I do is a sort of lawn bowling game. There is a very large practice green at the range we go to, and they only put holes on one end of it. So to avoid the adults, my son and I use the end with no holes. We invented a game with a yellow ball ... closest to the yellow target ball gets to putt it to a new location and the game continues.

Also any target that makes noise is good ... kids like hitting things that make noise and kids love hitting balls at the ball picker cart.

I suggest Queball get some goalie equipment and run around on the range as a human target. :)

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Not sure how I feel about this but the owner of the course wants me to write a bio advertising for lessons (geared towards kids). I won't claim im.PGA certified or anything like that but ive taught swim team, gymnastics, taught golf to wounded warriors and other jobs involving kids and studied body mechanics. Its a low key country course so I dont think members are expecting some big pro there but they seem to be wanting to have someone get their kids involved and interested. Guess im the new "club pro" granted were a laid back course in the country and we dont really have a true GM.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Yes ... this.

Another one I do is a sort of lawn bowling game. There is a very large practice green at the range we go to, and they only put holes on one end of it. So to avoid the adults, my son and I use the end with no holes. We invented a game with a yellow ball ... closest to the yellow target ball gets to putt it to a new location and the game continues.

Also any target that makes noise is good ... kids like hitting things that make noise and kids love hitting balls at the ball picker cart.

I suggest Queball get some goalie equipment and run around on the range as a human target. :)
You know...I'm actually giving it some thought. The whole goal is to get kids wanting to come. Im sure they will all be very eager to actually be allowed to hit at someone.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
You know...I'm actually giving it some thought. The whole goal is to get kids wanting to come. Im sure they will all be very eager to actually be allowed to hit at someone.

I'm not sure how to feel ... people don't usually take my advice, let alone my bad advice. ;)

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Keep it fun. Keep in mind they have a short attention span. Keep your expectations in check.

Look forward to a rewarding experience!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.