• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Summer's almost done.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
As the old folks would say "the nights are fairly drawing in". We have had an amazing Indian Summer this week, beautiful weather, but it's getting dark about 8.15pm, so golf after work is coming to an end for this season. Last night I arrived home from work and gathered the troops for a quick game after dinner. I could tell my 14 year old did not want to go, he's all adolescent these days, starting to hate me and everything else. Anyway he eventually decided to go but under duress. The other guy, the 12 year old was happy enough, it meant missing chores.

When we reached the club, we picked up a fourth, my 12 year old's buddy, who was at the practice range. So we decided to play a 8 hole match, The RugRats v. the Older Dudes. My eldest son clearly didn't want to be there. He just stood up and hit every shot with a hang dog "I don't give a damn, I'd rather be skating!" attitude. I let it go.

So we were two up with three to play, but the young guns won 16 and 17 to get back to all square. On 18 I pulled my drive into heavy rough. Everyone was getting a shot off me, so I told my elder son, he had to "step up and play" for this hole, as he had not contributed up to that point.

He hit a decent drive down the last and was left with 170 to the pin out of the semi, a blind shot over a hill. I was beside him as he stood over his shot. He picked a 5 iron and I told him to put a nice smooth swing on it. He has a real pretty swing and because he is getting bigger he is starting to generate some power. But he just doesn't care. Anyway the planets collided and he hit a beautiful shot towards the green.

The rug rats were both short in two and I was in the trap in three (out of it!!). The light was fading fast but as we got over the hill, I spied my son's ball on the green about 8 feet from the pin. And guess what, he holed out for a birdie with a shot. We won, thanks to him! I was whooping it up with high fives and he was acting all embarrassed, but deep down I know he was happy. I hope he remembers that shot / the evening.

And that's probably my last evening round this year. Happy memories!!

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
As the old folks would say "the nights are fairly drawing in". We have had an amazing Indian Summer this week, beautiful weather, but it's getting dark about 8.15pm, so golf after work is coming to an end for this season. Last night I arrived home from work and gathered the troops for a quick game after dinner. I could tell my 14 year old did not want to go, he's all adolescent these days, starting to hate me and everything else. Anyway he eventually decided to go but under duress. The other guy, the 12 year old was happy enough, it meant missing chores.

When we reached the club, we picked up a fourth, my 12 year old's buddy, who was at the practice range. So we decided to play a 8 hole match, The RugRats v. the Older Dudes. My eldest son clearly didn't want to be there. He just stood up and hit every shot with a hang dog "I don't give a damn, I'd rather be skating!" attitude. I let it go.

So we were two up with three to play, but the young guns won 16 and 17 to get back to all square. On 18 I pulled my drive into heavy rough. Everyone was getting a shot off me, so I told my elder son, he had to "step up and play" for this hole, as he had not contributed up to that point.

He hit a decent drive down the last and was left with 170 to the pin out of the semi, a blind shot over a hill. I was beside him as he stood over his shot. He picked a 5 iron and I told him to put a nice smooth swing on it. He has a real pretty swing and because he is getting bigger he is starting to generate some power. But he just doesn't care. Anyway the planets collided and he hit a beautiful shot towards the green.

The rug rats were both short in two and I was in the trap in three (out of it!!). The light was fading fast but as we got over the hill, I spied my son's ball on the green about 8 feet from the pin. And guess what, he holed out for a birdie with a shot. We won, thanks to him! I was whooping it up with high fives and he was acting all embarrassed, but deep down I know he was happy. I hope he remembers that shot / the evening.

And that's probably my last evening round this year. Happy memories!!
Cool story IG, luckily my kids still think I'm cool but the day is coming when that isn't the case anymore.

Last edited:
OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Yeah I know, he used to think I was cool. :(
My 6 year old thinks I'm a rock star. :)
The twelve year old's hormones are starting to stir. He's starting to question my rock star passport credentials. :cool:

What age are yours?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
When your oldest son has had a taste of all the things he "thinks" he wants to do (grows up) he'll be your best golf buddy. I had all girls. That's a whole different thing during those "I hate dad" years. :rolleyes:

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Cool post IG. My little girl came outside yesterday when i was hitting in the backyard, and she went and got her 2 clubs to bring out and try swinging. No coordination whatsoever but not the main priority right now lol. She's only just turned 6 so a couple years of mucking around and she may just get into it a bit.

As for you others, don't worry, I'll be able to help you all reminisce of the summer gone.
Ours is a couple months away but spring has brought some hot temps for us already.
Time for these fairways to dry out a bit and start bombing some long drives!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Cool story IG.

Because I live in the 'proper' hemisphere, my winter (if you could call it that) finished at the end of August.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.