• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sunglasses

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
How many of you wear sunglasses playing? I was just looking for my golf lenses while i was starting to pack and also got a new pair of sunglasses for xmas and figured i'd post it and ask what you guys wear and whether you wear them playing and if so what parts of the game you wear them for.

I wear Oakley half jackets while playing with the golf specific G30 lenses that I switch in for playing, and switch back to the black iridium lenses for wearing them normally.

And got a pair of custom Oakley Gascans that are polished black frames with blue iridium lenses and blue logos for xmas. Had been eyeing them for awhile and my sister got them for me, i was going to get them for myself right after xmas too :).

- ya i love Oakley, my friend was sponsored by them for freestyle skiing when I was younger and I got a bunch of free stuff from him, ever since then I've loved the brand, have a bunch of shirts, couple hoodies, ski goggles and jacket, hats, and only wear Oakley glasses. Ill try and post of some pics of my glasses, absolutely love them and are so comfortable.

So yes, who wears them? If not why dont you? If so when do you? What sorts do you wear? etc etc :laugh:

edit- added pics
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I wear nothing but Oakleys. "M" frames. Don't like the G30 golf lenses. I use a couple lenses that have the Iridium coating but allow high light transmission. Don't want to "dull" the landscape. Just want to cut glare.

I'm blessed that my wife works for a local optometry company. Can get Maui Jims and Oakleys at cost. Just got hooked on Oakleys year ago and haven't been able to change.

Did try a set of Sundogs a couple years ago. The optics were good but the frames were junk and did not last a full season.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have a pair of wrap around prescription sun glasses that I wear everytime I am on the course. Not sure what brand they are.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
OAKLEY FMJ. I fell in love with them after the first pair I bought, just as it seemed you did. Wonderful eye protection, incredibly comfortable, and surely aesthetically correct. Wear them all the time in the course...

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I wear and love the Oakley half jacket golf array with the XLJ lenses. I love the G30, and I use that lens most of the time. It really helps in lower light situations, which happens a lot to me. I switch to the gray lens when its a little brighter. I use the reflective lens only when its extremely bright, as I do not care for the look of the reflective lens.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I wear a pair of Tifosi Forza prescription sunglasses with the GT golf and tennis lenses. I keep them on for pretty much the whole round even when putting -- the GT lenses let me see the breaks in the green better than with my regular glasses or normal polarized sunglasses.

It sometimes sucks having to wear glasses but for golfing and riding my bicycle these glasses were some of the best money I ever spent.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Oakley half jackets for summer play :)

I actually didn't used to like playing with glasses on. Early spring last year I came down with Bell's Palsy and couldn't close my right eye completely. I was worried about something flying into my eye from a shot and not being able to close it to protect it... so I started wearing glasses.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I loved the half jacket but the new Flak Jacket is a lot more comfortable. Same basic style, they feel lighter and fit my face better. Got dark grey frames and G30's and the fire polarized.

Dorkman53

May 17, 2005
I wear prescription glasses that transition into dark glasses when exposed to light. That's nice, because they adapt to changes in light intensity. It is highly advisable for EVERYBODY to wear some sort of UV protection when out in the sun for a prolonged time, like outdoor work, hiking, or a round of golf. Almost all dark glasses sold these days have an ultraviolet blocker built into them, and most, but not all prescription glasses also have UV blockers. Failing to take this precaution exposes you to unnecessary risk of pterygium growth on the cornea, as well as possible skin cancers on the lower eyelids.
These problems take a while to develop, but when they occur it requires surgery to repair damage that could have been avoided completely. I speak from professional experience.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I tried everything...Oakleys, Nikes, Addidas, Sundog, RayBans...etc..

Finally fell in love with Maui Jims with the rose lense...Ideal for golf and everyday wear.

I now need to send them back for clean up and repair which they do for $8.95

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I wear oakley half jackets, white with black iridium xlj lenses. I don't share the love that so many of you do, though. I think they are $30 glasses (at best) that we're all dumb enough to pay $150 for.

I also have a pair of tour vision ambers for use on less sunny days.

I take them off for shots, though, because glasses mess with your depth perception.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Do you guys who wear the Oakley Half Jackets find it uncomfortable to wear these while also wearing a hat? That has always been my main gripe with Oakley, due to the earpiece going straight back they were uncomfortable while wearing a hat. I have a pair of Nike's that I have had for about 5 yrs and its almost time for an upgrade...

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I wear oakley half jackets, white with black iridium xlj lenses. I don't share the love that so many of you do, though. I think they are $30 glasses (at best) that we're all dumb enough to pay $150 for.

I also have a pair of tour vision ambers for use on less sunny days.

I take them off for shots, though, because glasses mess with your depth perception.

I have had those white half jackets i pictured up there for almost two years now, and they still look in good condition and are still holding up great, I only know two other ppl with glasses other than Oakleys that have stood up that well, a friend with Maui Jim's and another with some retardedly expensive pair that I can't remember the name of. But being able to last that long with the amount I use them everyday is definitely worth 150$.

And when your blind in one eye you dont have to worry about the depth perception thing anyway ;) Also only have to clean one lense :laugh:.

bigjim- I love mine with hats too, watch someone like Henrik Stenson, you don't wear them straight back with hats, you angle the ear pieces up a bit onto the hat a bit and they sit very comfortably.

JArmour- Do you know if half jacket xlj lenses fit in the flak jackets? Was thinking about switching to them as a few friends have told me theyre a little more comfortable for someone with a bigger head (like myself) and the frames are a little thicker which I like.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm another Oakley guy. Half Jacket while golfing with G30 lense but Black Iridium works the rest of the time. While cycling I use the Pro-M frame as I get better eye coverage with the Sweep lenses (also G30). Back in school, I was able to show that Oakley's met all of their eye protection requirements so I sported my standard M frame with the big (clear) Heater lenses (man, those were so much more comfortable than the big'ol lab goggles).

As for while I'm on the course, I wear the glasses at all times because the frameless design around the edges and bottom never blocks my view of the ball. The moment I put framed glasses on while playing I get screwed up; I think it is because I am so used to the frameless design rather than them actually blocking my vision.

Funny you mention the custom Gascans, piper. I've been meaning to get down to the local Oakley shop to order a pair. I'm dragging my feat because I don't know if I want the Gascan or the new Five frames. In either cause, I'm doing the crystal black frame with G30 lense and gunmetal "O". :thumbs up:

Do you guys who wear the Oakley Half Jackets find it uncomfortable to wear these while also wearing a hat? That has always been my main gripe with Oakley, due to the earpiece going straight back they were uncomfortable while wearing a hat. I have a pair of Nike's that I have had for about 5 yrs and its almost time for an upgrade...

The trick to wearing the glasses with the hat is to wear the earpieces over the hat. Some designs, like the Half Jacket, don't work well if you have a severe roll in your bill though as it will hit the glasses where they flair out (around the temple). Either a) don't roll the bill as much, b) don't pull the hat as far down, or c) use a different style frame. :)

Members online

No members online now.