• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing mechanics

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
United States United States
Many times bad shots I produce and bad shots I see from my playing partners start well before the swing motion. Setup, club selection, and/or focus are the things that I work on to improve. My swing mechanics are what they are at this point.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Without instruction me and my friends, acquaintances, random playing partners have been able to hit good shots and I'm sure within our first 1000 swings. Also, I'm a weekend player. For someone who makes golf their profession is different. But instruction isn't necessary to play decent golf for a weekend golfer.

Agreed. Most of my golfing friends consider me 'decent' and my non-golfing friends consider me 'good' at golf. I've never taken a single lesson other than videos on youtube and reading articles. My main scoring problems are inconsistencies. I have the ability to hit the ball 280+ straight...but it doesn't always happen.

What I'm saying is, regardless of whether or not you get a professional coach, very few people pick up a club and shoot under 100 naturally. Most, 99% probably, have to at least watch a few videos and work on getting rid of their slice for a year or so. Then they fight a hook for a while...then they eventually, years later, settle on a baby fade and just deal with it.

I think all of us would benefit immensely from a coach early in our careers. Imagine where we could be if we would have just started off right from the beginning and didn't waste 3-10 years unlearning bad habits and learning good ones?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I think all of us would benefit immensely from a coach early in our careers. Imagine where we could be if we would have just started off right from the beginning and didn't waste 3-10 years unlearning bad habits and learning good ones?

This is it. I didn't go to a coach until a few years ago (after you saw me hack around) and he helped immensely. Didn't try to change my whole swing, just fix the bad parts.

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Just watched a show on the golf channel that had the Harmon brothers featured. Butch said that if we tried to drive a car with the same mindset that we use to swing a golf club we would never get out of the driveway. They commented about how overly mechanical amateur golfers have become.

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
It's kind of interesting how my golf swing originated. The first time I played golf i was on the course with my buddy. I asked him how to swing the club and he said just swing. I didn't listen to him at first. I just started looking at other golfers around me hoping to pick up something. The only iron I could hit off the tee was an 8 iron. It was a long day although I was able to hit some good shots. While at home, I saw a commercial on the Golf Channel. Vijay Singh was demonstrating the Speed Stick. I watched how he swung the stick and it didn't look like his normal golf swing. In fact, every person on the commercial swing the speed stick the same way, very relaxed just back and forth wrapping the stick around their bodies. I thought to myself, I can do that easy. I wonder if I can hit a golf ball like that. Went to the range after that and swung naturally like I had seen in the commercial. Just free flowing not thinking about anything. Just back and forth letting my lead arm bend naturally. Instantly I was able to hit shots with every club in my bag. I was hitting the ball really far. And because it was my natural way of swinging, my mind wasn't cluttered with any swing thoughts. I can't tell you how many times I have been told that if I want to improve I need to change my swing. But, when I swing consistently with my natural swing I play my best golf. When I tinker or try to employ some swing strategy someone offered to me I struggle mightily.

🔥 Latest posts