1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing Weight

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by DrBrown, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DrBrown

DrBrown Hack Numero Uno

Ever pick up an iron at the golf shop and it feels so smooth and perfectly balanced? I'm sure everyone has different preferences for exact weight but I seem to prefer a slightly lighter club. Do you guys think "feel" has any real performance improvement, aside from just confidence?

My last set of irons ~12 years ago was TM LCG irons with a 5.0 rifle shaft. I picked it up and hit 2 balls, SOLD! Felt like hitting a stick of butter with the club. I still miss those (lent them to my Dad = big mistake lol). Today I have old Maxfli A10 irons and they have S300 Stiffs cut a bit tip stiff. It feels like the club weighs half a pound more. I've never liked the feel but I play well with them. I just wanted to pick your brains to see if there's a way to get a lighter balance while keeping a stiffer than average shaft? I'm considering building some clubs but the shaft fitting looks challenging!

2. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

United States United States
    I've never paid much attention to swing weight. It's all about feel and ball flight to me.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  3. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    ^^^this

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

I have a swingweight scale. Have to have lead tape plastered on almost all my irons. Playing mostly Pings, Karsten always err'd on the side of light swingweight. Got started taping them years ago. Also went to a couple of Senior Tour events in the early '90s. Couldn't believe the amount of tape on the irons in their bags. Some brain block, now, that says if they don't have tape in the cavity, they won't play correctly. Plus, having tape on the irons makes me look as if I know what I'm doing playing this stupid game... that is until I take a swipe at the ball!!!!!

5. DrBrown

DrBrown Hack Numero Uno

The ball flight and workability is obviously the most important factor. But what I'm saying is the actual swing weighting (D0, D2 etc) maybe not produce the FEEL a person likes. It may be impossible to answer these kinds of questions without real trial and error while building clubs.

I guess the easiest way is pick the clubhead I like, buy a few 7 iron heads and build a few to try different shafts to test at the range. When I find the happy medium, build the rest of the set to match. That would be closer than what off the shelf clubs got me!

6. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here are my thoughts;

You have 2 basic types of players when it comes to equipment.

1) Feel players. I am a feel player. The club has to 1) look good at address 2) Feel Good at impact 3) Give the desired ball flight Not really concerned about the "Data" as long as the club meets these criteria.

2) Analytical players. There is never too much data. A chart for this, a chart for that. Spin rate, launch angle etc... Usually, what a club looks like etc... is pretty far down the list with this crew. If the data says Club X is best, they play Club X regardless of feel etc...

azgreg likes this.
  7. DrBrown

DrBrown Hack Numero Uno

Crap... I'm really in trouble. I obsess about both lol. If the trackman tells you it goes straighter and farther it's hard to ignore plain facts. But at the same time, the reason I play the A10 irons is looks and ball flight. I think a rational person will balance the two.

8. subsonic

Feel is very subjective. What feels good to one may feel like :poop: to another.

Experiment and find what you like, and then you may be able to determine what factors determine why you like it. You may notice that light shafts feel better to you or lighter swing weight clubs make you feel like you get through the ball better. etc...

9. subsonic

Yes. You are totally mind fooking yourself. ;):D

What I have found is that if all the "feel" factors are there, the performance is usually there.

I have a friend that has the same problem as you do. He went through this exhaustive effort to find a new driver. He explained the data etc... Felt good. Looked good.

I asked him what ball he used on the launch monitor. It was different than the ball he played. All I asked was "Doesn't that have an impact on the data?" Introducing that variable locked his mind up. I could smell smoke...

Fairwaysplitter3320 and azgreg like this.
  10. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

I be #1.............it's much simpler. The clubs either look good, feel right and perform well or they don't. Now, I do know that buying a set of irons that are bent 2 degrees flat will not work for me.

Charts, indoor launch monitors, spin rates............meh. Take the club to the course and demo it on the course (not the range). If you like it, buy it. If you already bought, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it in the classifieds for 1/3 price! ;)

Fairwaysplitter3320 and subsonic like this.
  11. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    I am #1 as well. #2 locked up my brain and I end up taking a loss on the classifieds.

PaPaD likes this.
  12. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

Never pass up an opportunity to over-analyze something, right? Paralysis by analysis! I have one buddy who has so many swing thoughts going thru his head, it's a miracle he can make contact with the ball.

I have a swingweight scale at home. When I build or reshaft a set of irons, I try to get them all to be close to the same SW, but I'm not married to a number. I have owned and played well with irons ranging from C8 to D4.

There's a scientific fitter/builder in the FGI forum that uses MOI matching when he fits and builds. There is so much math involved it will make your head hurt, but that is a popular method of fitting/building. I don't think most of us hacks can really tell the difference if our clubs are not perfectly matched.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and subsonic like this.
  13. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

I bet if I had mine checked they'd be all over the map.