• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SwingVid

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Here's the slightly improved version of my swing. A few guys had asked about an instruction video I can't find now so I basically did the exact same thing as was in it. Feel free to comment. I also have some video stuck in 3gp format I can't do anything with. If anyone has a clue on how I can convert it please let me know. Windows Moviemaker is the only software I have and it will not let it in.

http://media.putfile.com/swingking

Ok got the cell vids up but they are not as cool lol.

Here's the setup for the 8i Straight,Straight, Draw and then Fade.
http://media.putfile.com/Wedgie-41

Here's the 54* wedge increasing from 60yds. to max.
http://media.putfile.com/rangeo6

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
That's you?

You have no ass......how do your pants stay up!!?? :D:biglol:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've been doing a lot of walking lately and not so much eating. I gotta throw a few pounds back on. I was hoping for some swing critiques rather than my figure though. :) I got some good feedback from the crap one I posted before and have worked on keeping the left arm straighter and the feet more planted.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Bear with me on this explanation please Ezra, it's much easier when you are stood next to someone with a club in hand to explain these things
icon12.gif

There are a couple of niggles about it, but if I remember your last swing post correctly then you have definitely taken steps in the right direction. The main thing to me is your position at the top, though the club goes a bit too far past horizontal this isn't because of overswinging your arms like in most cases. You kind of fold back on yourself at the hips (this is where your powers of visualization are tested):

Imagine the letter "y" reflected in a mirror above the top of this line so the downward line points up and slightly to the left of the page. This forms the shape you should be roughly aiming for with your body and legs at the top of your swing. However (this explanation gets worse before it gets better) the top line you form points up and to the right and as (hopefully) your arms are connected to your shoulders, it looks like you are overswinging.

If you could keep the weight more on your right foot at the top you might find that keeping your arms swinging exactly the same amount as previous, you actually now do an almost 3/4 swing (unless you start swinging harder at it in which case you arms will probably overswing).

I really hope that made some sense. I tend to make sense to myself but have abad habit of not reading my text before posting. Flights over here are quite cheap nowadays if you want a full explanation
icon10.gif

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Also, you have a rather strong right hand grip and judging from that drill you do of holding the club off just after impact I assume you are hooking frequently. It's easier to do a bad thing to neutralize another bad thing instead of trying to get everything right but you have got the potential there to nail this game so go on, do it the hard but right way!
icon10.gif

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks EG. Thought about that explanation for a good 10 minutes but still not exactly sure. :) I too noticed the strong righthand grip and didn't like the look of the "overswing". I actually fight a slice more than anything. I am going to work on turning more from the mid-section and less backswing. I hate hitting off those mats but it was pouring rain. I actually had a pretty good session there once I adjusted to the mats. That 5iron shot was a beauty and hit the little green they have out at about 200yds. If you know of any sites that may have a tip similar to what you were explaining I'd love to see them. I have a hard time with the abstract.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
ezra76 said:
I actually fight a slice more than anything.

May I ask what that holding off drill is about then cause you've got me stumped there. The quick fix on a slice is often to turn your hands over.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That's a ballstriking thing. It's not really a drill, I do it on all my practice swings. I kind of overdid it at first because a few guys had asked me about a striking drill and I wanted to show them the "divot after ball" strike. If you notice I turn over as I go into the 3/4 and full swing. Basically I want to maintain about a 15* shaft angle and have my weight shifting onto my right instep at impact. That second video with the 4 balls and the 8iron shows my regular non-exaggerated turnover. The last 2 balls I set up draw first and then a high fade.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
ezra76 said:
Basically I want to maintain about a 15* shaft angle and have my weight shifting onto my right instep at impact. That second video with the 4 balls and the 8iron shows my regular non-exaggerated turnover. The last 2 balls I set up draw first and then a high fade.

Have u seen Leslie Nielsen's "Bad Golf Made Easier"? You are reminding me a little of his protege at the start of the vid when he is on the range trying to do dozens of drills all at once and ending up completely flummoxing himself. You seem to be trying to do the hardest things first instead of perfecting the fundamentals.

At the end of the day I'm no pro' (I blew my chance at that long ago) but I'm still working on perfecting my set up, grip, weight transfer and swing plane. Each time the tweaks get smaller but they still need making, maybe when I consistently play to scratch or better I will look into the things you are trying to do.
icon10.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
That's you?

You have no ass......how do your pants stay up!!?? :D:biglol:

Look at his avatar, Sling. Obviously, they don't stay up...
icon12.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
If I've ever seen anyone who could benefit from Hogan's book, "Five Lessons - The Modern Fundamentals of Golf", it's you. I applaud your desire to improve. Get Hogan's book. Build your swing according to his principles. Now. You won't regret it.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Eracer said:
If I've ever seen anyone who could benefit from Hogan's book, "Five Lessons - The Modern Fundamentals of Golf", it's you. I applaud your desire to improve. Get Hogan's book. Build your swing according to his principles. Now. You won't regret it.

One of these days :) Next project is to work on more turn and less sway. Little by little. Might get some lessons in the offseason but I don't want to change anything too drastically too quick and ruin the rest of this season. I'm not expecting single digits this year, I would like to get the scoring avg. under 85 though.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Your hips, Ez, you have to quiet them. You are swaying over your right hip pretty severely. It is overly complicating your move and requires that your timing be perfect.

Trevino had a great tip to stop swaying. On the range (with grass, btw), you throw a ball on the ground by your right foot (for a right hander), then step on it with the outside of your right foot. Now, try your backswing. The ball angles your foot, so when your transfer your weight to the right, it keeps it on the INSIDE of your right leg. If you look at RBB's current icon, it shows Hogan at the top and you can see the angle on his trailing leg with the upper body coiled over it. You should try to emulate this. It will also help you coil, so that your move into the ball will be a lot more powerful, with a lot less effort, and fewer moving parts.

FWIW.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
EnglishGolfer said:
Have u seen Leslie Nielsen's "Bad Golf Made Easier"? You are reminding me a little of his protege at the start of the vid when he is on the range trying to do dozens of drills all at once and ending up completely flummoxing himself. You seem to be trying to do the hardest things first instead of perfecting the fundamentals.

At the end of the day I'm no pro' (I blew my chance at that long ago) but I'm still working on perfecting my set up, grip, weight transfer and swing plane. Each time the tweaks get smaller but they still need making, maybe when I consistently play to scratch or better I will look into the things you are trying to do.
icon10.gif

I am just a complicated guy I guess. I overanalyze everything, why should golf be any different. :) I'm actually not doing too bad switching from fade to draw. I hit a lot of draws today and the fade is just naturally easy for me. I may be the best damn 15handicap around.
icon10.gif

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
ezra76 said:
:) I'm actually not doing too bad switching from fade to draw. I hit a lot of draws today and the fade is just naturally easy for me. I may be the best damn 15handicap around.
icon10.gif

I would rather draw than fade any time when I have the option, it is the longer shot after all. One good thing to do is look at the pro's swings on golfdigest. com on on half of your screen and your swing on the other. It can be a bit demoralising but it also opens your eyes a bit too so it's worth doing.
icon12.gif

🔥 Latest posts