• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Takeaways from 2018 Season Looking to 2019

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
United States United States
Now that we have snow on the ground here in Illinois, the golf season is officially over. This season was one of the most interesting that I have had since my first year playing this magnificent yet penal sport. Over the winter months last year, I had finally decided to change my swing. The rationale behind changing was a little misguided, but it was my goal. Changing my swing motion stems from buddies/playing partners telling me about my"swing flaws". I have a flying right elbow, bent left elbow, 10- finger grip with both thumbs right down the middle of the grip, left foot flared and right foot square, all clubs played just in the inside of my left heel about 3-4 inches. I'm not a long hitter, 7 iron goes around 150. My strengths: iron play, short game, and I am best at putting. However, because of my "flawed" full- swing motion, I'm always told that if I improved my technique I could finally shoot in the 70's. So, I took the bait, and took to YouTube to develop a technically sound swing. I practiced all winter and finally got the new swing to feel natural. It looked fantastic. My first round of the season, second hole, I hit a 9 iron five inches away from what would have been my first hole-in-one. My first impression, I have done it. At 40 years old I have mastered the full-swing. That day I drove the ball very straight and my irons weren't spectacular, but they were straight. The ball flight was a lot lower than what I was used to, but very decent. However, I ended up shooting around the same score I have always shot. As the season moved ahead my scores got worse until one round I shot a 101. I couldn't believe it. My final round of the year I decided to go back to my original swing. I felt defeated. I played nine holes on a par 34 course. First round back to the old swing and I shout a 36. Irons were nice and high again. Short game was better. It just felt better. Bottom line, I need not listen to my friends. Swing my way and be comfortable and have fun. BTW, they make fun of my "vintage" equipment. I play Ping Eye 2 irons, a Ping Zing blonde driver, and Ping B60 putter. They have tried to get me to upgrade my equipment for a long time. I have tested the waters numerous times, but I just can't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Great narrative of your season. I played over 150 rounds this year. Got the handicap down into the 9 range only to see it balloon up to 10.3 this past month or so. I understand most of the reasons... reasons, not excuses... for the 'cap creeping up.
I'm looking forward to continued play through the winter. That will depend on Mother Nature. Hope to be ready to kick the handicap back down a bit when the 2019 season officially begins.
The most rewarding/frustrating part of golf this past year was my first sitting on the Board of Directors at our course. We have an excellent staff that has worked their fannies off to get/keep the course in pristine condition. Yet, we have members who will gripe and complain about anything and everything. Our course is finishing the year in the black with some good reserves back for the "rainy day".

As far as your game, sir, there has not been significant technological changes in irons since the Eye 2's you now play. If they fit you and your swing and you are confident with them... keep them happy and they will keep you happy. Same with the B60. I would highly recommend finding a new metal driver and fairways. Find a used 460cc driver with a shaft that fits your swing. Most shops will let you demo their used clubs. Take a few out and play two or three rounds with each. They may not send the ball farther down the fairway. But, they will be significantly more forgiving and allow you to find more fairways. "Never belittle a ball in the middle!"
Whatever you do decide... keep playing the Game. Golf can be a cruel mistress. Still, the opportunity to enjoy a round with good friends, experience a well struck shot, and see a putt take the bend you thought it would as it falls into the hole is fantastic.

Have a great 2019 golf season!!!!

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I like modern drivers but I feel more comfortable with my maple laminate for some reason. Thanks for the encouragement.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I play Ping Eye 2 irons, a Ping Zing blonde driver, and Ping B60 putter. They have tried to get me to upgrade my equipment for a long time. I have tested the waters numerous times, but I just can't.
Nice classics! I have a clean set of Eye 2 irons, green dot and a Maple ZING driver with graphite. It is a solid unit and goes almost as far as the moderns stuff. Own you swing - the one YOU built, the one that works!

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Nice classics! I have a clean set of Eye 2 irons, green dot and a Maple ZING driver with graphite. It is a solid unit and goes almost as far as the moderns stuff. Own you swing - the one YOU built, the one that works!
I try to tell myself that regarding my swing, but I let people get in my head because my swing doesn't look like the pros or what an instructor would teach. I need to be happy with how I hit the ball because I'm really a decent ball striker.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I try to tell myself that regarding my swing, but I let people get in my head because my swing doesn't look like the pros or what an instructor would teach. I need to be happy with how I hit the ball because I'm really a decent ball striker.

How your swing looks is of no consequence to the scorecard. Ball control is what this game is about.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

My swing looks like a sack full of cats, all trying to find their way out!!! I ain't kidding!!! It's a combination of Jim Furyk and Ray Floyd. I took one golf lesson. They guy I went to shrugged his shoulders and suggested it would take months of work to get me where I could play this game. Instead of spending that time and money, I've enjoyed this game immensely for many, many years.
Today's mindset is that everyone must have a picture-book swing. 99% of the pros out there are just mirrors of each other. The self-taught swings are a thing of the past... other than maybe Bubba Watson. Go back and watch Palmer, Trevino, Floyd, Dent, Thompson, etc. These guys didn't have million dollar paydays. How they got the ball from tee to green was what they ate and lived on the next week depended on. They learned to work with what the Good Lord gave 'em.
The Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in this old body. I have no idea when that number will expire. I'm not going to waste a single one of them on a driving range, practice swings, or lessons from a pro who would only screw up what I've used for years. They don't draw pictures on a scorecard. Hit it. Go find it. Hit it again!!!

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
All that matters is that the clubface is square to the target when it strikes the ball, and that you swing out to the target. How it gets to that point doesn't matter. I hate DeChambou's (spelling) rigid mechanical swing. My worst problem is overswinging. They try to put the "swing speed" is everything in your head. What puts the ball out there is hitting it in the sweet spot...……...period. When I can control that, I am a good ball striker, and I can still put it out there with the flatbellies.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
It's all a big scam. The equipment, golf instructions, training aids it's all a money grab. I know this. I've always known this. But, I fall victim to it from time to time. Going into 2019 I don't want to worry about my swing or my equipment. I want to just focus on my mindset. I want to be mentally and emotionally in a good place on the golf course so I can play freely. That's my goal.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Now that we have snow on the ground here in Illinois, the golf season is officially over. This season was one of the most interesting that I have had since my first year playing this magnificent yet penal sport. Over the winter months last year, I had finally decided to change my swing. The rationale behind changing was a little misguided, but it was my goal. Changing my swing motion stems from buddies/playing partners telling me about my"swing flaws". I have a flying right elbow, bent left elbow, 10- finger grip with both thumbs right down the middle of the grip, left foot flared and right foot square, all clubs played just in the inside of my left heel about 3-4 inches. I'm not a long hitter, 7 iron goes around 150. My strengths: iron play, short game, and I am best at putting. However, because of my "flawed" full- swing motion, I'm always told that if I improved my technique I could finally shoot in the 70's. So, I took the bait, and took to YouTube to develop a technically sound swing. I practiced all winter and finally got the new swing to feel natural. It looked fantastic. My first round of the season, second hole, I hit a 9 iron five inches away from what would have been my first hole-in-one. My first impression, I have done it. At 40 years old I have mastered the full-swing. That day I drove the ball very straight and my irons weren't spectacular, but they were straight. The ball flight was a lot lower than what I was used to, but very decent. However, I ended up shooting around the same score I have always shot. As the season moved ahead my scores got worse until one round I shot a 101. I couldn't believe it. My final round of the year I decided to go back to my original swing. I felt defeated. I played nine holes on a par 34 course. First round back to the old swing and I shout a 36. Irons were nice and high again. Short game was better. It just felt better. Bottom line, I need not listen to my friends. Swing my way and be comfortable and have fun. BTW, they make fun of my "vintage" equipment. I play Ping Eye 2 irons, a Ping Zing blonde driver, and Ping B60 putter. They have tried to get me to upgrade my equipment for a long time. I have tested the waters numerous times, but I just can't.

Oh crap...this guy talks as much as Limp!!!! ;)

Nice post, and nice bag!

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
It's all a big scam. The equipment, golf instructions, training aids it's all a money grab. I know this. I've always known this. But, I fall victim to it from time to time. Going into 2019 I don't want to worry about my swing or my equipment. I want to just focus on my mindset. I want to be mentally and emotionally in a good place on the golf course so I can play freely. That's my goal.

I know it too and I remain a victim of it. Your post has inspired me. No more ho-ing for me...................again.:cool:

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
My swing looks like a sack full of cats, all trying to find their way out!!! I ain't kidding!!! It's a combination of Jim Furyk and Ray Floyd. I took one golf lesson. They guy I went to shrugged his shoulders and suggested it would take months of work to get me where I could play this game. Instead of spending that time and money, I've enjoyed this game immensely for many, many years.
Today's mindset is that everyone must have a picture-book swing. 99% of the pros out there are just mirrors of each other. The self-taught swings are a thing of the past... other than maybe Bubba Watson. Go back and watch Palmer, Trevino, Floyd, Dent, Thompson, etc. These guys didn't have million dollar paydays. How they got the ball from tee to green was what they ate and lived on the next week depended on. They learned to work with what the Good Lord gave 'em.
The Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in this old body. I have no idea when that number will expire. I'm not going to waste a single one of them on a driving range, practice swings, or lessons from a pro who would only screw up what I've used for years. They don't draw pictures on a scorecard. Hit it. Go find it. Hit it again!!!
That's what I said in the post above (in one short sentence). :p

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Oh crap...this guy talks as much as Limp!!!! ;)

Nice post, and nice bag!
The clubs I have are my dream clubs. I went out and bought exactly what I wanted. So really no need for me to switch to anything else. But it doesn't stop me from thinking about it

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I know it too and I remain a victim of it. Your post has inspired me. No more ho-ing for me...................again.:cool:
I'm with you.

🔥 Latest posts