1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Talk me out of some new Ping irons

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by johnnymo, Sep 6, 2010.

1. johnnymo

johnnymo Active Member

So I spent some time in a little pro shop and found out that they can get me a pretty good deal on fitted ping irons. I really like my dcis but the grooves 7 down are pretty sad and I think sending them in for repair would not only be damaging the integrity of the clubs but also not very cost effective (I also should be replacing the grips soon, I know it is not very expensive as I do it myself but really don't want to throw money at something I possibly am getting rid of soon.)

Now I know that a lot of people love ping and a lot of people do not care for them at all. I can somewhat understand the distaste of a cast iron with a larger topline and wide sole. I most likely will just be looking at the G15 and I15 but my contact at the store really wants me to try out the re-release G10s as well. The forged are going to be outside of my budget :(

A little info about my iron style. I am not able to work the ball both ways and I doubt it is something that I will be doing in the future. I can draw the long irons on demand and work the shorter clubs that way a little as well but trajectory control plays a larger part in how I get around the course. I am pretty consistent with my ball striking (it did not take long for relatively ok grooves in my secondhand dcis to get worn down) and only really get in trouble when I try something out of my comfort zone.

Input, as always, is appreciated.

2. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

United States United States
    Something to consider. Ping makes another series they don't "push" much, the S59, S58, S57 and now the S56 series.

I play the older S59's and after having a set of G5's and hitting sssmokin's G15's, I would say the S50 series would be the best. Thin top line, not much offset and they feel like forged blades even though they're cast. The grooves will also hold up way better then those on a (mild steel) forged iron since they are stainless steel. And I learned on forged McGregor Nicklaus muscle back irons so I know what a forged club feels like.

And my S59's are easier (for me) to hit then the supposedly game improvement G15's etc.

PING : Clubs : Irons

3. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

As WBL says, the "S" line would be much closer to what you're used to with the 962's. You would have a very similar look at setup. And, I don't believe you would lose anything in forgiveness.

The 962's were 431 Stainless. 431 is a softer stainless than the 17-4 that Ping uses in their irons. You won't tell much difference, if any at all, in the feel off the club face. However, the durablility of the 17-4 is expoentially better than the 431. Few will live on this earth long enough to wear the grooves off a set of Pings!!!

You won't get any static from me, trying to talk you out of Pings. Over the years, I've played... let's see... Callaway, Titleist, Lynx, Armour, Taylor Made, Mizuno, and Pings. I've probably had more sets of Pings than any of the other brands. Ping is second to none in customer service. Pings just work.

Get fitted. Get the set that looks best to you and that will instill the most confidence. Order 'em. Enjoy 'em for a long, long time.

4. johnnymo

johnnymo Active Member

Thanks guys :)

I guess I had completely overlooked the S line. I have never done a fitting before :eek: but the store has what they call an nflight system so I am assuming that they will not only get all the measurements dialed in but also be able to give me some numbers to compare the different models in relation to my swing.

5. johnnymo

johnnymo Active Member

So work today left me with a case of idle hands. I went back to the shop and swung the full ping line. Will my posting privledges be revoked if I bag some g10s?

6. chemboy2

chemboy2 M634 Supporting Member

No, but like the rest of us PING players you'll only be allowed to post on the first Tuesday of every month as well as alternating Saturdays 10-11p PST.

7. limpalong

ShotTalk needs the post count. So, NO! You can continue to post... even if you do bag G10s. However...

If you take G10s to the course, there are a few simple rules you need to follow. 1.) You must wear a bowling shirt advertising a local lady's hair salon. 2.) You must wear cut-off jeans with a Skoal can ring worn through one of the hip pockets. 3.) You will be required to keep your AARP card on your person at all times. 4.) Visible in your bag, with the G10s, must be a ball retriever and and some sort of swing training device. 5.) You must have the G10s in a bag that says "RENTAL" on the side. 6.) You must only hit pink, "Flying Lady" golf balls with the clubs. And.... 7.) You MUST post photos on ShotTalk of you complying with the above rules.

The G10s are/were a GREAT club. I have a good friend who has bagged a set since they first came out. He has the money to buy new clubs every year. However, he fell in love with his G10s the first round he played and I don't think he will ever part with them. He's probably regripped them a half-dozen times.
    Play what gives you the confidence and ability to enjoy the game of golf!!!!!

8. LF911SC

LF911SC Active Member

I would say yhat I'm the wrong person to help you.

Went to my local shop to check out PING S57's as they are being sold at a reduced rate and fell in love with PINGs for the first time. Always gravtated towards forgings. Unfortunately custom orders ard out as PING has disco'd the S57s.

So demo'd and ordered a set of S56s. Much like the S57's only a little better. Due late next week. Looking forward to the first round with them.

Traded a set of Mizuno MP57s. Guess there is an attraction to the #57. :)

9. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!!!

10. LF911SC

LF911SC Active Member

I really am looking forward to this set. I always liked the S series but whenever I've changed sets always went in with something in mind. As I said this is my first set of Pings, really demo'd well, really a sweet set of irons.

Would like to check out their new wedges:eek:

11. LBlack14

LBlack14 Enjoy Life! Supporting Member

I swore I'd never play PINGs.

12. limpalong

Once you go Ping... you'll never go bling!!!!! Working man's clubs that do nothing but add to the enjoyment of one of the greatest games ever invented.

13. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    I'm another one who used to hate the mention of the word "Ping". Now nearly all of my woods are Ping. I am such a cheap ho.

14. johnnymo

johnnymo Active Member

That is basically what I was thinking. What has me a little gun shy though is that the fitter swears up and down that "someone with a handicap like mine should only be looking at the g10s/g15s." but I am a little put off by the amount of offset in the heads. My natural ball flight is a slight draw and I can work it more if need be, so the large amount of offset has me worried that I will be more prone to hooking.

In the most basic terms, I love my current irons but the grooves are done. Do I want something more forgiving, not really. Would something forged be nice, sure but I am pretty sure most of those are out of my price range.

15. MyBluC4

MyBluC4 Well-Known Member

I'm a Ping guy...still hitting my BeCu IRI's from '96. Had them reshafted with Nippon 950's two years ago and they are still fantastic. Don't know if you will be able to work the G10's so much, certainly not as much at the i15's.
    Good that you are getting fitted with the Ping fitting system. All the luck in the world, enjoy your new sticks no matter which model you end up with.

16. adidag

adidag Well-Known Member

What's your handicap?:17

That should be enough to talk you out of it.

17. johnnymo

johnnymo Active Member

Mini update:

Hit a demo mizuno mp 58 at the range and pretty much fell in love. Looks like I am back to square one so to speak.

18. xamilo

xamilo Right Curving Driver.... Supporting Member

Why would that be?

19. johnnymo

johnnymo Active Member

I too was a little confused by that post.

20. adidag

adidag Well-Known Member

Spend the money on lessons.