• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TaylorMade R9 460 review

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Just got this today and before playing 18 went to the driving range. First attempts after warming up were slices. Yuch. Moved the shaft to one notch toward "L" (no adjustable weights on this club) and it helped alot. Still a fade on every shot. Moved the weights one more notch to "L" and this club came alive for me. I think the head feels heavier with the 60 g Aldila ReAx regular flex shaft and I don't get it closed like the G10. In any case it worked for me.

So I went and played 18 at a fairly tough course. The G10 was not in the bag so I would be forced to hit the R9 460.

It's a fairway finder just like the G10. About equal I would say which is a very good thing. I think I only missed (barely) 3-4 fairways at most. Most were straight down the center of the fairway.

Distance "appeared" to be also equal to the G10 but I have to do some checking with my GPS. I forgot to load this course in so wasn't using it.

Shot a respectable 42 on the front nine. Hitting my irons exceptionally well and my chipping came back to me. Most were within five feet and had a few within a foot for tap ins.

Back nine I went berserk. I had 3 birdies (one was from making a 40 foot putt) and a few pars to tie my best ever 36. This 36 was much better also because this was a tough (long) course. My scoring went like this:

Hole 1 470 yard par 4 = 4
Hole 2 320 yard par 4 = 4
Hole 3 404 yard par 4 = 4
Hole 4 125 yard par 3 = 4
Hole 5 613 yard par 5 = 6
Hole 6 410 yard par 4 = 6 (oops)
Hole 7 189 yard par 3 = 4
Hole 8 366 yard par 4 = 5
Hole 9 329 yard par 4 = 5
Hole 10 471 yard par 5 = 5
Hole 11 362 yard par 4 = 5
Hole 12 196 yard par 3 = 4
Hole 13 323 yard par 4 = 3
Hole 14 516 yard par 5 = 4
Hole 15 309 yard par 4 = 4
Hole 16 160 yard par 3 = 4
Hole 17 369 yard par 4 = 3
Hole 18 464 yard par 4 = 4

And I got my card signed by the guys I played with so when someone doesn't believe this (which would be understandable) I have witnesses. :D

In any case, watching my swing with the new driver might have carried over to the other clubs.

I'll follow up on distance comparison to my G10 later when I have my GPS with me. I'll also let the guys hit it Sunday at the Wisconsin ST golf outing. I think it's at least equal to the G10 and for me to say that means alot. Also take into account that I am 62 years old and don't have the ss some of the flatbellies (or even young fat bellies) in here have. But I saved $100 over the original R9 and think I got a club that fits me better. The Aldila shaft in this did feel a little "loose" compared to the shaft in my G10 and some faster swingers would probably hate it. But for me it worked okay. Watch for follow up distance post and hopefully some of the other ST'ers who hit it Sunday will have some additional comments.

:)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Congrats on the great round "J"!!!

Nice review also, looking forward to hearing how the distance measures up to your beloved G10, :D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Here I buy a new driver and put up a review and it apparently is a driver no one else wants... :biglol:

In any case the ability to change the face angle is a very cool feature. :)

And it works!!

Lyle told me in a PM that the stock shaft in this isn't too bad.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I brought the 9.5* out with the Sflex Aldila stock shaft. I think the stock shaft is plenty beefy. If anything, I'd probably want to move up to a 10.5*. Ballflight was a good mid trajectory but I don't think it was carrying far enough for max distance. I'm willing to bet a lot of guys will go get the 9.5* with the Sflex and end up disappointed. I put some good hard swings on it, trying to hit it higher and still it wasn't that high.

It was pretty straight though. I wasn't even swinging well and put up a 38 on the back, where I hit it more than the front. It got me in no real trouble and got it out deep on the downhill holes.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Here I buy a new driver and put up a review and it apparently is a driver no one else wants... :biglol:

We are all waiting for the TM R9 TP/LDP/STD/BR549 that will be out in 3 more weeks, :D

Seriously, great review, I just wish you'd have bought and reviewed the Ft-9, :laugh:

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You haven't given it enough time. Can't expect miracles from any club overnight.

Wi-Golfer

Normally I would have given up on it last Friday but since it had adjustability I gave it more time and nothing works. And with me if it doesn't work right away it never will. Always been the case with drivers. You shouldn't have to "adjust" to a driver. It either works or it doesn't. And yes I can expect miracles from any club overnight. The two Ping drivers I owned (Rapture and G10) were good from the first swing. :)

Hold this add for one more round. I still have to try the NU (neutral upright) setting. Whatever upright means. :confused:

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
You shouldn't have to "adjust" to a driver. It either works or it doesn't. And yes I can expect miracles from any club overnight. The two Ping drivers I owned (Rapture and G10) were good from the first swing. :)

Quoted for truth.

If you aren't hitting it down the middle with a driver within 3 swings, you are going to start changing YOUR swing to fit the driver. The driver should fit you.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Normally I would have given up on it last Friday but since it had adjustability I gave it more time and nothing works. And with me if it doesn't work right away it never will. Always been the case with drivers. You shouldn't have to "adjust" to a driver. It either works or it doesn't. And yes I can expect miracles from any club overnight. The two Ping drivers I owned (Rapture and G10) were good from the first swing. :)

Hold this add for one more round. I still have to try the NU (neutral upright) setting. Whatever upright means. :confused:

But J, didn't you shoot a career best the first day out with this thing? I at least thought I read that last week...no?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Don't forget -> the driver is the hardest club in the bag to hit.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I hit one of these in a 10.5 head last night at my club and while I like the idea you can manipulate the face angle, a big pet peeve of mine in the world of anti-slice, closed face drivers......I didn't hit one of the drives past my Sonartec ~ 11*. Not one. The Sonartec is cut down to 42.75" and bent from 15 to appx. 11. Once again I will stay with my 6 year old beasty.

In my humble opinion, I think the shaft options are far and away more influential on ball flight, control and distance. I could take any 10 degree head and be happy with it as long as the swing weight and shaft are matched up correctly.....but, give me the wrong shaft with any number of 10 degree heads and it's a turd factory off the tee.

🔥 Latest posts