• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tee box

bo boboski

TEA is my HERO
Aug 9, 2019
Country
United States United States
There is an ongoing debate everywhere now about what teebox men should play from. at courses,at clubs,leagues, tournaments,traveling groups. some choose the correct box by age,some by handicap,some by how far you hit it. Our group uses age. If you are 65 ,use the senior tees,if you are 75+ use the ladies. some courses have 5+ sets of tees,some only 2, I've had numerous people say it should be by handicap. I disagree. I've been to tournaments where 21 year olds,hitting it 300 yards, were hitting from the senior tees because they have a 28 hdcp. And 72 year olds were hitting from the back tees because they were single digit. go figure? I think the reason for the various tees is so everyone can hit the same distance approach shots regardless of age or gender. From 150 yards in, it will be fair for all. if you cant win from there; go to the range.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I go by age. I'm 72 but hit the ball longer then most my age. This is because I play every day and work hard on my game. Why should I have to play from the whites when others don't play, practice etc to get good? So they can beat me. The handicap takes care of all that.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Are you talking only in competition? I think it should go by what ever you feel most comfortable with. If I’m playing with a group, we usually do the best we can to all play from the same tees. Me being a single digit guy and young means I’m usually playing up a little if I’m playing from the normal men’s tees. Some courses I play around me however can play very very long if I were to play them from the “championship” tees, and that gets pretty exhausting for me, I’m not having fun on a random weekend if I have to walk a 7000 yard monster

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
There is an ongoing debate everywhere now about what teebox men should play from. at courses,at clubs,leagues, tournaments,traveling groups. some choose the correct box by age,some by handicap,some by how far you hit it. Our group uses age. If you are 65 ,use the senior tees,if you are 75+ use the ladies. some courses have 5+ sets of tees,some only 2, I've had numerous people say it should be by handicap. I disagree. I've been to tournaments where 21 year olds,hitting it 300 yards, were hitting from the senior tees because they have a 28 hdcp. And 72 year olds were hitting from the back tees because they were single digit. go figure? I think the reason for the various tees is so everyone can hit the same distance approach shots regardless of age or gender. From 150 yards in, it will be fair for all. if you cant win from there; go to the range.

By handicap absolutely makes the most sense. It creates the most level playing field for competitive play that involves everyone.

If you want everyone to hit the same distance approach shots, just make the entire course a par 3 and have everyone hit from the same tee. Bam, problem solved.

Age makes the least amount of sense ever....21 year olds who can't get off the tee should be on the blacks just because they're 21? That's easily the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
This will always be a debate and unfortunately there is no "universal" fix so I think by handicap is about as good as you're gonna get.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I believe two things should weigh into which tee box you play...

1.) It's a game! It's supposed to be fun. Play from the tees that keep the game enjoyable enough you will come back and play and come back and play and come back and …. Our group plays from the gold tees. We probably range in handicaps from 8 ish to 20 ish. The difference isn't how far we hit the ball. The difference is how well we keep the ball in front of us and how good our short game is.
2.) Play from the tees where you keep caught up with the group in front and ahead of the group behind. If we go by age, we have the 30 year old who plays once every month or so trying to hit from tees that turns golf into a 4+ hour round. The people behind him cursing. The entire course is slowed down because he and his group are looking for balls, finally getting to the green in 8 on a par 4, and going after the clubs they tossed because they become so frustrated. Move up! Play from the tees where you can keep up.

OP
B

bo boboski

TEA is my HERO
Aug 9, 2019
Country
People who think it should be by handicap are usually those guys that are continually getting beat by old guys who are hitting from the senior tees and are just playing much better from 150 yards in. Old guys who cant hit it farther than 200 yards should have the same distance approach shots that young guys do who hit it 300. If you can hit the green/chip/and put from 150, then get lessons or go to the range. If not, then women should be hitting from the back tees also. You might as well just have one tee, everyone hits from there,whatever age or gender,Golf courses would love that! Whatever your handicap is from that one tee, so be it. Talk about "asinine"!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
People who think it should be by handicap are usually those guys that are continually getting beat by old guys who are hitting from the senior tees and are just playing much better from 150 yards in. Old guys who cant hit it farther than 200 yards should have the same distance approach shots that young guys do who hit it 300. If you can hit the green/chip/and put from 150, then get lessons or go to the range. If not, then women should be hitting from the back tees also. You might as well just have one tee, everyone hits from there,whatever age or gender,Golf courses would love that! Whatever your handicap is from that one tee, so be it. Talk about "asinine"!

Your rant has become incoherent...

Now bear with me folks while I break this down for ya...

Handicap is ALREDY ADJUSTED AND SET BASED ON ONE SET OF TEES. That why courses have different slopes and ratings from different tee boxes... they treat them like different courses. So a 20hcp is always a 20, they’re just playing different adjustments based on the change in difficulty from box to box. This is the whole reason the handicap system, and course and slope ratings exist.

You’re a stone dead dunce if you think a 2 cap who’s 70 and can only hit it 220 isn’t going to be able to think his way around a slightly longer golf course. And if you have a 20 cap who can hit it 300 and they’re playing up from shorter tees, often times they’re going to get themselves in more trouble than they will get an advantage, because things out of reach may now come into play.

And if you think the people arguing otherwise are the guys beating old guys, then you just haven’t spent enough time on ST, because other than me and two or three other regulars, the avg age around here is like 60. And those geezers sure can play.

On top of all of that, I take personal outrage to this, because I play off of a 4.5 index right now, and usually am relegated to playing all the way back in tournaments and events, and I don’t hit the ball nearly as far as similar handicap guys my age. I’m 21 and I only hit the ball 285ish, where’s most guys with my cap and my age are hiring the ball 310+, so for an approach shot I’m typically three clubs more in than I would be from where they hit the ball. But I don’t piss and moan and beg to play from a different box, I play the game as the rules intend, and I still make my opponents look dumb, because I got really damn good and making my disadvantage my best asset, and I got good with my long and mid irons.

Good players don’t try and change the rules, they adapt.

OP
B

bo boboski

TEA is my HERO
Aug 9, 2019
Country
Women hit from the red tees,much shorter! Why? BECAUSE THE CANT HIT AS FAR AS MEN! according to some people,women with single digit caps should tee off from the mens tee. It's by handicap,not age!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Women hit from the red tees,much shorter! Why? BECAUSE THE CANT HIT AS FAR AS MEN! according to some people,women with single digit caps should tee off from the mens tee. It's by handicap,not age!

What are you even talking about? No one’s talking about ladies right now. Clearly most aren’t physically capable of hitting the ball as far, hence the ladies tee. Also often times they have separate tournaments and events from men for this exact reason.

You’re bad at arguing.

OP
B

bo boboski

TEA is my HERO
Aug 9, 2019
Country
This is a debate/discussion,not a place to argue. hopefully others will join in with their opinions without getting all red about it. I feel like all regulation length golf courses need 4 tee boxes on each hole. Championship/men/seniors/women. not because of handicaps,but because of each's distance of shots. If not,then lets go with one tee for all. Golf courses would love it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This is a debate/discussion,not a place to argue. hopefully others will join in with their opinions without getting all red about it. I feel like all regulation length golf courses need 4 tee boxes on each hole. Championship/men/seniors/women. not because of handicaps,but because of each's distance of shots. If not,then lets go with one tee for all. Golf courses would love it.

So far, you're the only one 'getting red'.

I'm fine with the single tee golf course. Driving distance is part of golf. It should be rewarded just like putting, chipping, pitching, short irons, mid irons, long irons, fairway metals, course management, physical ability, mental ability... etc etc etc.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.