• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 3 wood

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I played nine yesterday and posted an excellent score. I shot an even par 36. Only missed one shot - a 3 wood from the fairway, 245 out. Low block slice. That is NOT my miss with any club. But I've hit a lot of those with various 3 woods. I was hitting the driver really well, and sticking approaches. In other words, my swing was feeling great. Last time I played, on Saturday, I hit the 3 wood twice; once from the fairway on this same par 5 (put it left side of the green from 250) and once from the tee on a shorter par 4 (low block slice).

I don't know if this is mental or what. My swing really is solid right now, except I just can't hit a 3 wood consistently. From the fairway my divots look fine, just a bit of brushed/torn up grass after the ball. I can't tell a difference in the divots when I hit a block slice but those shots are slightly off the toe of the club. I get full distance off those shots, and the contact is clean, but slightly toward the toe. My swing does not feel different (that I can tell) and I am good enough to tell when I've put a bad swing on the ball. This is frustrating because, while I don't need this shot often, I feel it is holding me back for when I do need it.

Has anyone else ever had a problem hitting fairway woods consistently though the rest of the bag is solid? Is this in my head? Is my swing just not compatible with fairway woods? Should I just quit golf? Please feel free to offer advice or sarcasm.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Block slice = hitting the ball with a clubface that is open relative to the path of your swing. I don't know how you're doing it, because I'm not seeing you swing, but that's what's happening.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Block slice = hitting the ball with a clubface that is open relative to the path of your swing. I don't know how you're doing it, because I'm not seeing you swing, but that's what's happening.

I know this. But therein lies the problem: I have no idea why. I am only doing that with the 3 wood (and the 3 wood before it).

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I hook the ever living shit out of my 3 wood most times.

Rarely do i ever hit a straight one with it...i can hit every other club in my bag straight, pull out that 3w and its hook city.

Might be the club, might be in my head...i have no clue...i'm not much help

But at least your not alone

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I do that from time to time. I just don't hit 3 wood off the deck often enough to worry about it.

245, I'll just take my hybrid and rail it up there. Leave myself 10-15 yards if I don't get any run out to my target. Easier than freakin' out over my damn 3 wood. ;)

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
.... I shot an even par 36. Only missed one shot - a 3 wood from the fairway, 245 out. Low block slice. .....

Has anyone else ever had a problem hitting fairway woods consistently though the rest of the bag is solid? Is this in my head? Is my swing just not compatible with fairway woods? ....

Mike, you only had one miss so you might be being a bit hard on yourself. Stick with it. I think some of the times weekend golfers don't practice the 3 wood enough. It's usually either practice driver or practice 3 wood but not both.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
It was one time that round, because I hit the 3 wood once that round. It is a repeating thing. That ball flight only occurs with the 3 wood, about 50% of the times I hit it. When I step up to hit it, I have no idea if it will be straight or 30 yards right. I had the same problem with my last 3 wood as well. This is a recurring thing, not a one-time misshit.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've watched you hit and I know you have a picture perfect swing. One I am extremely envious of.

I think you might be just over swinging trying to hit it too hard? When I screw up my 3-wood (or anything else) that's what I'm doing and of all the clubs in the bag the 3-wood is the one I want to swing too hard the most.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Buy a new 3 wood.

That works most of the time doesn't it.

In all seriousness though, I am having a similar problem hitting my 3 wood, however since I have not been able to golf as much as I would like recently, I am putting it down to lack of practice.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
3 woods are evil! I've decided that very rarely are you hitting a 3 wood at anything except "as far as I can get it". Of course that means you're going to swing too hard and miss hit. It's a state law here in Texas, or every state I've played golf in.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Occasionally even a skilled golfer makes a flukey, odd swing. I think you're now psychologically predisposed to doing it with your 3W. You made a flukey weird swing once, then immediately tried to fix your swing that wasn't broken. You changed your normal swing based on one or two episodes of poor control. So now your "normal" swing with that club is anything but. Try hitting some 200 yard 3 wood shots straight, then apply speed gradually and pay very close attention to how your body wants to do it. If you're sliding your hips toward the target, you're going to lay that face open. If you're jerking your left shoulder up, same thing. Really, just try to feel what you're doing DIFFERENTLY with that 3W swing.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Have you tried moving the ball position. That club is significantly longer than most hybrids and certainly. irons. I just had that problem (low block) and found I was playing the ball too close to center of stance. Moved it about 1 ball forward and all is well. Enough so that the starter by the range commented he wished he could hit a 3 wood like that!!!! After hitting a ton of the low ugly screamers that was music to my ears.:beach3:

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
I agree with Zaphod, a low block slice with just the three wood seems to indicate the ball position being to far back in the stance. Extend your left arm straight up (right handed player) shoulder high at address, with the bottom flange (cut line) on a 90 degree angle to the ground,( make sure your Grip is correct)
The (cut line) line will be facing straight up & down as your looking at it. Set the club in position behind the ball without moving the wrists, square line for the flag. Adjust your body position to the club face. you should notice the 13/15 degree club angle should be more predominant (as far as loft goes) You should be looking at the back of the ball not the top of the ball, dont sway forward on the ball on the down swing.
That should get that 3 wood under control for a 34.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online