• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Amazing Golf Grip Size Test

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Finally got this done. I was not happy with all the BS charts for grip size. I wanted to know the diameter where your (upper) hand goes and no data existed on that so I did my own test.

The grips were all measured 4" from the end of the grip using a digital vernier caliper. It was a cheap vernier and only measured to two decimal places but it repeated very well.

So here it is. I wanted to put it on a spreadsheet but there are so many I just decided to manually put it in this thread. Feel free to add your own data if you want.

Grip Size Brand Model Club Core Size Installation Method Size
STD Titleist (GolfPride) Tour Velvet Iron .60 solvent/tape .84
STD GolfPride CP2 Pro Iron .60 air/no tape .83
MID GolfPride CP2 Pro Iron .60 air/no tape .91
STD Lamkin Z5 TT 3 Hybrid .58 air/no tape .82
STD Lamkin Z5 TT 4 hybrid .58 air/no tape .81
STD Lamkin Z5 TT 3-wood .58 air/no tape .83
STD Lamkin Z5 TT 3-wood .58 solvent/tape .83
STD GolfPride MCC +4 Driver .60 solvent/tape .84
STD GolfPride MCC +4 Driver .60 air/no tape .84

As you can see the different core size didn't seem to make much difference nor did the installation method. I did note the Titleist grips when removed had a thicker two sided tape (probably off a tape dispenser) then the pre-cut "strips" I buy which would explain the slightly larger diameter. The most diameter variation was in the Lamkin Z5 TT grips. The GolfPride seemed more consistent.

Conclusion: Grips or installation method didn't make enough difference in grip diameter to worry about any of this.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Interesting. Personally, I have played midsize grips so long anything else feel strange and foreign. I have midsize Lamkins and midsize Golf Pride and can't tell a lot of difference. But, the old hands hardly have any feeling left. Whenever I pick up a club with a standard size grip, it feels as if the club would fly out of my hands. Zero control. The Eye 2's I picked up a few months ago have oversize/jumbo grips. If I were to play them day in and day out, I would change them to midsize. Again, just what I've become accustomed to and am comfortable with.

Played Lamkin Crossline Midsize for a long time. When I got these iBlades, found the best deal on some GP midsize. Sorta like them. Excellent tacky feel. For many years I played with no glove. The past few years have gone back to one. This past Thursday, found I had left my golf glove in the basement. Started the round with no glove, afraid that I'd have difficulty holding onto the club. Was amazed how I didn't really even miss the glove. May start playing barehanded again and see how it goes.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've got a Pure grip I'm going to try probably in place of that midsize grip on my 5-iron. Supposed to be good grips. I'm not going to change the AP1 iron grips (other then the 5 and 6 iron I already have changed) until I find one I really like. Then I'll do the rest. The Titleist grips on them still are pretty good. One of the best players I played with (back in Racine) didn't use a glove. He could shape a shot like no one else I've ever seen.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yep. I've gotta start posting more. About to be passed by a young newbie!!! Just a few more posts and I'll hit the 10,000 mark. 2/3 or the way to you.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It's still a totally unfair process. I really deserve 2 points for each post due to the number of words included in most of mine. Too bad there's not a word count available on this software. :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Also notice the top three posters are all from the north land. 10 months out of the year they are climbing the walls of their igloos. Nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs and post on Shot Talk!:rolleyes:

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Also notice the top three posters are all from the north land. 10 months out of the year they are climbing the walls of their igloos. Nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs and post on Shot Talk!:rolleyes:
This

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I thought PaPaD and others would find this chart interesting. I wasted my time! :(

🔥 Latest posts