1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'The Art of Putting' By Paul Trevillion From Penguin Books

Discussion in 'Golf News' started by Dogfish Head, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Dogfish Head

Dogfish Head Well-Known Member TEA is my HERO

United States United States
    Admin Post
    IN A WAY IT MAKES PERFECT sense that an acclaimed artist would write a book on putting. And that book on putting is aptly titled The Art of Putting, currently on sale in the United Kingdom and soon to be released in the United States.

[​IMG]
    Paul Trevillion (right) with British golf legend Neil Coles,
    holding The Art of Putting.
    My friend Paul Trevillion, the British sports artist, recently alerted me to this, his new book. The split-hand putting grip is in vogue and used by some of the world's best golfers on all the major tours, including winners and major champions such as Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose, Laura Davies and others.

But this 21st-century putting phenomenon has 20th-century origins. Trevillion perfected and touted the split-hand pencil putting grip in the 1970s.

"An artist never gets the yips," Trevillion says. "I aim at the hole and draw a straight line."

In fact, Trevillion toured the United States four decades ago and challenged anyone, including professionals, to a putting contest. "Sink 1,000 and and I will sink 1,001!"

I met Paul when I was writing my book, Draw in the Dunes, about the 1969 Ryder Cup. He and Peter Willis, who were both at Royal Birkdale in September 1969, were tremendous resources and helped bring the narrative alive.
    Here's the cover of Trevillion's new book:​

[​IMG]

Watch below as Trevillion gives a putting lesson featuring the split-hand grip 47 years ago.

[​IMG]

Source: 'The Art of Putting' By Paul Trevillion From Penguin Books