• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Awkward Truth About Driver Distance [must read]

Do you believe that each new driver release is "longer" than the previous model?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Possibly

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
2018 has arrived and the annual flood of new drivers (with accompanying marketing BS) is about to hit us.

This is a must watch video by Peter Finch. At 9:00 mins he goes through the stats from the last 10 years for average driving distance on the PGA Tour from 2006.

The stats show that driving distances over the last 10+ years have not changed.

Aside from debunking the marketing babble of "15 yards further" each year it also puts an end to the hysteria about modern golf balls "ruining" the game.

Thoughts?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
"It's not how long. It's how you use it!"

The "mine is longer than yours" bragging rights mantra captures the minds of the male gender for a significant portion of their lifetime. It is more "manly" to brag about the 300 yard drive when the ball ends up out where elephants go to die than to have to admit the 240 yard drive down the middle. Somewhere during the transition from "hold my beer and watch this" to "it's not how, it's how many" the light dawns and we become satisfied with our current driver. Manufacturers MUST appeal to those who prioritize distance over anything else. That's why we see seasonal advertisement for "7 more yards" from a driver and jacked up iron lofts.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Marketing claims aren't designed for the best of best that hit the sweet spot 99% of the time. They give those guys free clubs...so why market to them? Makes no sense. So this video is not comparing apples to apples here.

Now...obviously, you can't hit it 15 yards further every year for 15 years. That's simply impossible, without being a horrible golfer and improving at the rate of a snail. You have to read the fine print, and I'm positive it has some fine print in there that says something to the effect of 'Compared to a off the shelf club produced in the last X years not professionally fitted to the golfer.' Also, that the current marketed club is professionally fitted and hit appropriately. They might not even be comparing it to their own previous clubs...actually, they most likely aren't.

Meaning, they're talking to the 'average' golfer. The golfer whose true 'average' distance is probably under 150 yards because they hit worm burners and offline shots far more than they hit those 250 yard bombs down the middle that they consider their 'average'.

I feel like it would be fairly simple to gain 15 yards for most average golfers hitting off the shelf drivers simply by getting fitted and during that process getting a few tips from a professional. Regardless of the club you're swinging. So their claims are probably pretty safe..

Honestly, for we average players(talking mainly to myself) a club that is more forgiving on off center shots will have a bigger impact on 'average' distance than one that is hotter off the face by a large margin. So having the ball speed off the face limited, and forcing the club manufacturers to place their R&D money into making the clubs more forgiving is a good thing.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
It is my opinion that they are not longer BUT the ability to "fine tune" them for your swing keeps you in the fairway much more frequently. That's my belief and I'm sticken to it! :mad:

Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have a shaft in it that works for you. I've found certain shafts just don't "do it" for me.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I think we're all obsessed with distance. How many times have you heard someone in the 19th hole talk about how many greens someone hit or how well someone putted? It's always about where someone drove it. There's no question length is important, but today Dustin Johnson was probably 30 to 40 yards longer than Ted Potter on every tee shot, but look who got the win. Golf is and always will be not a game of how, but a game of how many.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
This is the reason I have not upgraded my Cleavland Hibore XL driver... I would like to find out what shaft fits me better then the Graffaloy I have in it though.
I hope you find a better shaft. That's the one thing I like about these new drivers. One can easily experiment with different shafts with the turn of a wrench.

Uncle Azzhole

Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...
Apr 30, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
Yeah and is the only reason I can think of to purchase a newer driver.. Maybe if I went in for a fitting they could tell by my swing what shaft would work better for me??? if so I will do that, I have a Graffaloy Pro RED in it now.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
That is what I did. I play a Callaway XR16. I found a fitter to work with me on finding the best shaft. He used TracMan (sp?). I'm sure you can find someone in Salem to work with you. The only problem you may have is that I think the Hibore has a glued head which makes switching shafts during the fitting more difficult.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
That is what I did. I play a Callaway XR16. I found a fitter to work with me on finding the best shaft. He used TracMan (sp?). I'm sure you can find someone in Salem to work with you. The only problem you may have is that I think the Hibore has a glued head which makes switching shafts during the fitting more difficult.
I've played the XR16 for quite a while now. Need someone to sneak some Locktite on the hosel adapter screw threads. I cannot leave it alone! Carded the best round of the year this morning. Came home. Took the XR16 to the basement and changed shafts. (I have three shafts for it.) If I'm not changing shafts, I'm changing lofts. These adjustable headed clubs should be outlawed to ever enter my bag, basement, home... anywhere that I can get to them with a wrench!!!!

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I've played the XR16 for quite a while now. Need someone to sneak some Locktite on the hosel adapter screw threads. I cannot leave it alone! Carded the best round of the year this morning. Came home. Took the XR16 to the basement and changed shafts. (I have three shafts for it.) If I'm not changing shafts, I'm changing lofts. These adjustable headed clubs should be outlawed to ever enter my bag, basement, home... anywhere that I can get to them with a wrench!!!!
I did exactly the same thing, but finally convinced myself to find a shaft and setting that worked and stick with it.
I have a Vista Pro R2 (senior flex) shaft and my hosel is +2 draw. I've added about 10 to 20 yards to my tee shots recently and I had a couple today in the 220 range. At 68 I'm happy with that result. We play tees that are 6250.
I was really struggling back when my tee shots were only going 190 to 195. Here's hoping I can maintain that for the foreseeable future.
Just pick a shaft and set up that performs and play it for a month. Also, you can hide the wrench from yourself. I used to keep it in my bag but now it's in my tool box.
I actually have a GBB adjustable three wood and Heavenwood. I used to change them weekly too. So far, I've been able to leave them alone as well.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I did exactly the same thing, but finally convinced myself to find a shaft and setting that worked and stick with it.
I have a Vista Pro R2 (senior flex) shaft and my hosel is +2 draw. I've added about 10 to 20 yards to my tee shots recently and I had a couple today in the 220 range. At 68 I'm happy with that result. We play tees that are 6250.
I was really struggling back when my tee shots were only going 190 to 195. Here's hoping I can maintain that for the foreseeable future.
Just pick a shaft and set up that performs and play it for a month. Also, you can hide the wrench from yourself. I used to keep it in my bag but now it's in my tool box.
I actually have a GBB adjustable three wood and Heavenwood. I used to change them weekly too. So far, I've been able to leave them alone as well.
Good Luck!
My hybrids are Big Berthas. I set them at +2D when I got them well over a year ago. They're still at that setting and I enjoy them. My 3 and 5 wood are Big Berthas and adjustable. I haven't had the 3 in the bag for a long time. The 5-wood is my go to fairway club. It's set at +2D and will stay that way. The Mini 1.5 is adjustable and is set at +2D. Right now, the XR16 is at +2D also. The main change I make too often is switching shafts. I have a shaft that is an inch shorter than standard. I'll install it and begin hitting the driver well. Then I think I could hit the ball a little farther if I install the longer shaft. Put the longer shaft in and try to kill the ball. Patience with my stupidity runs out and I go back to the shorter shaft. Must have replayed this exercise well over a dozen times.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online