1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Awkward Truth About Driver Distance [must read]

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by TheTrueReview, Jan 8, 2018.

?

Do you believe that each new driver release is "longer" than the previous model?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. Possibly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Probably not

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    2018 has arrived and the annual flood of new drivers (with accompanying marketing BS) is about to hit us.

This is a must watch video by Peter Finch. At 9:00 mins he goes through the stats from the last 10 years for average driving distance on the PGA Tour from 2006.

The stats show that driving distances over the last 10+ years have not changed.

Aside from debunking the marketing babble of "15 yards further" each year it also puts an end to the hysteria about modern golf balls "ruining" the game.

Thoughts?

Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  2. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

United States United States
    No surprises here. I've tried most of those drivers. Meh.......

TheTrueReview likes this.
  3. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

"It's not how long. It's how you use it!"

The "mine is longer than yours" bragging rights mantra captures the minds of the male gender for a significant portion of their lifetime. It is more "manly" to brag about the 300 yard drive when the ball ends up out where elephants go to die than to have to admit the 240 yard drive down the middle. Somewhere during the transition from "hold my beer and watch this" to "it's not how, it's how many" the light dawns and we become satisfied with our current driver. Manufacturers MUST appeal to those who prioritize distance over anything else. That's why we see seasonal advertisement for "7 more yards" from a driver and jacked up iron lofts.

4. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

"Mine goes to 11"

5. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Marketing claims aren't designed for the best of best that hit the sweet spot 99% of the time. They give those guys free clubs...so why market to them? Makes no sense. So this video is not comparing apples to apples here.

Now...obviously, you can't hit it 15 yards further every year for 15 years. That's simply impossible, without being a horrible golfer and improving at the rate of a snail. You have to read the fine print, and I'm positive it has some fine print in there that says something to the effect of 'Compared to a off the shelf club produced in the last X years not professionally fitted to the golfer.' Also, that the current marketed club is professionally fitted and hit appropriately. They might not even be comparing it to their own previous clubs...actually, they most likely aren't.

Meaning, they're talking to the 'average' golfer. The golfer whose true 'average' distance is probably under 150 yards because they hit worm burners and offline shots far more than they hit those 250 yard bombs down the middle that they consider their 'average'.

I feel like it would be fairly simple to gain 15 yards for most average golfers hitting off the shelf drivers simply by getting fitted and during that process getting a few tips from a professional. Regardless of the club you're swinging. So their claims are probably pretty safe..

Honestly, for we average players(talking mainly to myself) a club that is more forgiving on off center shots will have a bigger impact on 'average' distance than one that is hotter off the face by a large margin. So having the ball speed off the face limited, and forcing the club manufacturers to place their R&D money into making the clubs more forgiving is a good thing.

6. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

It is my opinion that they are not longer BUT the ability to "fine tune" them for your swing keeps you in the fairway much more frequently. That's my belief and I'm sticken to it! :mad:

Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have a shaft in it that works for you. I've found certain shafts just don't "do it" for me.