• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Large peices of meat, like brisket are always cooked slow and low. Rotisserie or indirect.

I made a roast pork last year that would have blow your socks off. The wife doesn't eat much, so I powered that thing back in two days.

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I always smoke briskets either in my smoker or in my BBQ/grill.

I like to keep the heat low at about 200* and have heavy smoke going the whole time.

Takes a long time to do this but it is well worth it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
It sucks that the rain came, so it will be indoor BBQ Ribs and Wings, but fun none the less. Getting some food to prepare for the KU game tonight.

More to follow, but got the Home Made Cole Slaw in the fridge, Home Made BBQ Sauce simmering on the Crock Pot, and starting to simmer a bit myself starting with a Bloody Mary.

Time to start on the Ribs.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Working on the second Bloody Mary, about time to start on Stoli's and Tonic. Can only take so much V8.

Got the Ribs Going. When I cook them inside, I use a broaster oven which works great for Ribs and Wings, and is likely the only reason I bought the oven. Thought I would make a wet rub out of the Rudy's Rib Rub that I brought back from San Antonio. Haven't used it at home yet, will have to see if it is worth the money over making my own. Also unless I smoke ribs, I like to cut them first so they can absorb more flavor. I also have a tendency to cook to many, but I have the entire weekend. Have to check the weather, it has cleared up a bit, may I can still grill on the sauce.

Well, about time for that Vodka and Tonic, hopefully I make it to the game. Something about cooking Ribs that makes you wanna drink

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The Rabbit food (Cole Slaw) is starting to settle nicely, so is the first Vodka and Tonic. Maybe next time I'll grill the Rabbit. :)

I usually make a Straight Carolina Cole Slaw, this time I decided to make one a little creamier. Maybe just the fact that it's like 35* outside and doesn't quite remind me of Carolina. Rabbit Food none the less, but you need a little different color on the plate at the end, even if you just push it aside.

Time to start getting the wings ready.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I had some of that Rudy's sauce in Austin. I could drink that stuff it's so good.

I gotta get DaveE or some other sap to get me summa that stuff. Feck me, that shit was good.

I'm craving ribs now, you jerk. :killersmiley:

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I had some of that Rudy's sauce in Austin. I could drink that stuff it's so good.
The Rub is from Rudy's which is fantastic. If you liked Rudy's sauce, you would likely fall out of your chair and require medical assistance if you ever try the sauce in KC. The sauce is my own creation and a midway point between Arthur Bryants and Gates out of KC. My wife prefers Gates, and I prefer Bryants, not that the other isn't a close second. Bryants is a little more vinegary, and spicier IMO. So this is the best of both worlds and half way between. Plus it's anyones guess what they put in theirs, so mine is simply created off the palate from memory of each. Texas and even Carolina rely on the Rub for the flavor and quality of their ribs. KC and even Memphis rely a little more on the sauce. My attitude in our house is why not rely on both. But having seen KC BBQ the most, I usually am more of a sauce person.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well the ribs are taking a bath right now, while I get the hot wings ready. I took a good part of the sauce out, which freezes nicely. I probably already have about the equivalent of 10 bottles in the freezer already, and this will give me 3-4 more. But anytime I do this inside, the cost is minimal and you can never have to much sauce.

After the wings are prepped the Ribs will learn the meaning of "Baptism by fire" as it appears I may be able to get them on the grill after all.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well, the Wings are on. I also had to switch drinks as when I tried to take these pictures, I took them only to realize I had left the card in the PC card reader, so had to take them again.

This is a home made wing sauce as well. And the drink is a Long Island Iced Tea. Yeah, I know, maybe not the wisest choice when I am already forgetting things. But it seemed summery, and sounded harmless enough.:laugh:

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Do you have the sauce recipe or can one purchase something close online?

Looks fantastic PAjay...

I have barbecued ribs, as you know, but never had a 'great' sauce for them.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Do you have the sauce recipe or can one purchase something close online?

Looks fantastic PAjay...

I have barbecued ribs, as you know, but never had a 'great' sauce for them.
I'll post the recipes or info on where you can buy similar for all of it outside of what Rock mentioned early tomorrow. Gotta get the other pictures up, and the KU game is on in 40 minutes.

🔥 Latest posts