1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

Discussion in 'No Golf For You!' started by spankdoggie, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Pa Jayhawk

Pa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

The Rabbit food (Cole Slaw) is starting to settle nicely, so is the first Vodka and Tonic. Maybe next time I'll grill the Rabbit. :)

I usually make a Straight Carolina Cole Slaw, this time I decided to make one a little creamier. Maybe just the fact that it's like 35* outside and doesn't quite remind me of Carolina. Rabbit Food none the less, but you need a little different color on the plate at the end, even if you just push it aside.

Time to start getting the wings ready.

2. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    I had some of that Rudy's sauce in Austin. I could drink that stuff it's so good.

I gotta get DaveE or some other sap to get me summa that stuff. Feck me, that shit was good.

I'm craving ribs now, you jerk. :killersmiley:

R35

3. Pa Jayhawk

The Rub is from Rudy's which is fantastic. If you liked Rudy's sauce, you would likely fall out of your chair and require medical assistance if you ever try the sauce in KC. The sauce is my own creation and a midway point between Arthur Bryants and Gates out of KC. My wife prefers Gates, and I prefer Bryants, not that the other isn't a close second. Bryants is a little more vinegary, and spicier IMO. So this is the best of both worlds and half way between. Plus it's anyones guess what they put in theirs, so mine is simply created off the palate from memory of each. Texas and even Carolina rely on the Rub for the flavor and quality of their ribs. KC and even Memphis rely a little more on the sauce. My attitude in our house is why not rely on both. But having seen KC BBQ the most, I usually am more of a sauce person.

4. LyleG

LyleG gear head

Canada Canada

I'm off to Mickey D's, the McRib is here for a limited time and it will have to do.

5. Pa Jayhawk

Well the ribs are taking a bath right now, while I get the hot wings ready. I took a good part of the sauce out, which freezes nicely. I probably already have about the equivalent of 10 bottles in the freezer already, and this will give me 3-4 more. But anytime I do this inside, the cost is minimal and you can never have to much sauce.

After the wings are prepped the Ribs will learn the meaning of "Baptism by fire" as it appears I may be able to get them on the grill after all.

6. Pa Jayhawk

Well, the Wings are on. I also had to switch drinks as when I tried to take these pictures, I took them only to realize I had left the card in the PC card reader, so had to take them again.

This is a home made wing sauce as well. And the drink is a Long Island Iced Tea. Yeah, I know, maybe not the wisest choice when I am already forgetting things. But it seemed summery, and sounded harmless enough.:laugh:

7. spankdoggie

spankdoggie New Member

Do you have the sauce recipe or can one purchase something close online?

Looks fantastic PAjay...

I have barbecued ribs, as you know, but never had a 'great' sauce for them.

8. Rockford35

Canada Canada
    Spank,

Buy some of this. If you hate it, I'll refund your money.

https://rudysbbq.com/default.aspx

R35

9. Pa Jayhawk

I'll post the recipes or info on where you can buy similar for all of it outside of what Rock mentioned early tomorrow. Gotta get the other pictures up, and the KU game is on in 40 minutes.

10. Pa Jayhawk

O.K., all done and even 30 minutes to spare on the KU game.

11. Rockford35

Canada Canada
    I'll be right over. I'll bring some beers (Canadian variety pack) and a sleeping bag.

R35

12. Pa Jayhawk

So now you know what KU Basketball means in our household, as Ribs and Wings together are our staple food when it comes to big games. They go well together. I would also say this should be an example of what you can do inside in the winter months when you can't access the grill when it is raining and 35* outside, although it is nice to be able to crisp it up on the grill just for time and space. You just need the right kind of oven. I would say they are fall off the bone, but they abandoned the bone long before they even reached the grill and simply used it as a diving board to the sauce. :D

And the true sign that it is good is I made it to the game and didn't pass out first. Hopefully pissed a few off, and made them jealous in the process. Will post recipes and such tomorrow.

Cheers!!

13. Pa Jayhawk

I should mention we only have my wife and I and a five pound dog that eats dry dog food. I guess you know what we will be eating all weekend, as is usually the case any time I grill, or for that matter cook Ribs and Wings.

Well, time to eat and watch the game.

14. spankdoggie

spankdoggie New Member

Thank you. I will buy it.

PAjay---> THAT looks crazy delicious!!!

15. Pa Jayhawk

Broke away from the game as they are up 26-10. As far as Rudy's, the Rub is fantastic, but if you want BBQ sauce I will give you 2 that you can buy online, and one that you can make that will simply put their sauce to shame. Again, will post the recipe tomorrow, which after that I will never buy sauce again. Although if you want to buy sauce I will give links as well.

Again, Texas BBQ gets their flavor from the Rub and the smoking. They don't give much thought to the sauce. KC gives less though to the Rub and more thought to the sauce.

Well, it is on commercial, so I will go ahead and give links to the purchased sauce.
    Buy the original unless you like really spicy:
    Arthur Bryant's Restaurants, Order merchandise
    ... again, but the original unless you like really spicy
    Gates Bar B.Q. - List of Products
    ... although for a Rib Rub I would Say Rudy's may be second to none.

If you want a wet rub, simply take the dry rub and and add Worcestershire sauce and rub it on with your hands. The benefit of a wet rub is the flavors absorb in better, almost like a marinade.

Again, will post a free sauce recipe early tomorrow, that is dirt cheap and just as good. Actually the original may be in the old thread, but I have changed it since.

Back to the game, 38-21 KU

16. LyleG

LyleG gear head

Canada Canada

You guys are softies. I BBQ year round. I have BBQ'd in -30º weather, wearing flip flops and drinking a beer.

17. Pa Jayhawk

Oh yeah. I do as well, although it is just miserable in the rain. -30 below or rain, I would take -30 below. Don't want to damage my grill with the rain. If I can grill and still be able to cover it afterwards before it becomes a frozen brick, I'm in.

I will even shovel off my grill if need be. I moved it this year as it is on the second story deck, just so I didn't have to shovel 20 feet of snow to reach my grill. :D

When I say I can't access the grill, I mean 3" of ice from the rain and need a sledgehammer at the risk of damaging the grill. :)

This brings back memories of college, with -20 temperatures and a 1 foot by 4 inch hibachi grill that I had trouble keeping lit because the briquettes would freeze. Me sitting out there with my .99 cent a six pack PBR trying to cook a .50 cent pork steak. :D

18. Pa Jayhawk

Here is the BBQ Sauce Recipe from the thread before.
    I have changed this a bit and now prepare a batch of 4 times (basically the Puree comes in a 29 oz can which is the main consistency and is about 3-4 times), and substitute the cider vinegar and water by using 1 cup Cider Vinegar and 1/2-2/3 cup water per batch. I also have lowered the amount of Corn Syrup and Brown Sugar slightly as I do not really care for a sweeter sauce.

Again, I make a triple to quadrupal batch now and just freeze it in ziploc freezer bags. You can then just throw it in the microwave for a short period of time and pour it in a coke or tonic bottle. Basically a triple batch cost the same or less than a dollar more than single batch as far as the ingredients are concerned.

I will post the wing sauce recipe tomorrow, as it will take a little thought to put it into proportions, as I usually just throw $#!+ together and give little thought to the ingredient quantities unless asked.

I will say, while Rudy's rub may be second to none in BBQ I have tried for Rib Rubs, their Sauce pales in comparison to KC BBQ sauce, or even my own. If you like Rudy's sauce, try this recipe and let me know what you think. While I would not personaly claim that it is as good as Bryants or Gates, as that would be an insult to KC BBQ, at about about 1/5th of the price I will never pay for sauce again. Even though we regularly visit the KC area.

To go even further, and as Eracer will attest to, Rudy's Cream Corn is likely better than their BBQ IMO. I have a recipe for that as well. :D

19. spankdoggie

spankdoggie New Member

You are a Godsend.

Thank you for the info.

20. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Those pictures are making me hungry. Im about to bust out a steak right now at 9.55 at night and get my grill on!