• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The best ball

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
The new titleist balls (post 2006) seem to suffer in terms of durability. After a few holes, the covers seem to shred (even on my beloved Pro V1). The recent Callaway offerings seem to be much more durable. Prior to 2006 the exact opposite was true (the Callways were not durable while the Titleists were indestructable). Does anyone else feel the same way? The new tour ix balls are great.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
I think Titlelist just lost a lawsuit to Calloway for patten infringement. I'm not a Calloway fan myself. For my mind the Nike One is the best rock, good choices, and for me I really like a 4 piece ball, enables me to spin the ball back, which only no other ball does. I also like the Bridgestone rocks. Consequently they are both made by the same company. It seems that most high end balls are not very durable. I've not played the Pro V, myself. But it doesn't surprise me. I think the lower end $25 boxes are the more durable rocks. Try the NXT's if you want a more durable titlelist. It may work better. Though I don't think Titlelists prides iteslf on durability.

A.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah? I did notice the Prov's with the alingment arrow on them don't seem to last as long. I was playing one the other day and it got a tear right through the cover, which I'd never seen that happen before. Personally, there is not a premium ball I don't like. They are all good around the greens and stop well, have good feel. I like the HX tours just as well as a ProV.

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
speaking of premium balls... has anybody tried the Bridgestone top tier? 330s? I always wanted to give them a try... just don't like the flashy box :)... or the taylor made rocks, anybody try those?

A.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The new titleist balls (post 2006) seem to suffer in terms of durability. After a few holes, the covers seem to shred (even on my beloved Pro V1). The recent Callaway offerings seem to be much more durable. Prior to 2006 the exact opposite was true (the Callways were not durable while the Titleists were indestructable). Does anyone else feel the same way? The new tour ix balls are great.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

If you're looking for a good ball at a good price, check out the new Precept U-Tri's.

I've hit a couple of the Bridgestone 330's and the top of the line Taylor Made's. The 330 is a good ball, but to be honest, the TM's didn't really show me that much. Maybe I was having an off day, but I wasn't getting much back spin on the around the greens.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I was on staff with both TM and Bridgestone, in the last two years. I liked the TP Red LDP from TM, gave me a nice flight and stopped without coming back too far on wedges. I really liked the Bridgestone B330, in fact it is the one thing that I really miss from last season. I have played the One Tour D from Nike so far this season and it seems to be a bit higher spinning than the B330 or the TP Red. I will get used to it, but I hit a thirty yard pitch that hit and backed off the front of the green, not what I wanted to see. Just have to get used to hitting it past the hole instead of counting on one bounce and stop. Haven't tried the One Tour yet, not really looking forward to it since it should spin even more than the Tour D.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The best ball in golf? That's an easy answer!

The one that suits you the best.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I played the TM Red, I thought it was a great ball, but like all of the high end ones you can spin the cover right off of them when you hit a full wedge. So for the time being I am going to stick with a less expensive golf ball.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
This is a stupid discussion.

We all know there is no better ball than the Top Flight XL3000

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The bridgestone B330 line is excellent. And the new boxes are a little more conservative than the old ones :)

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
At my budget any ball that costs $45 a doz. lasts forever... in my heart and memory. I will be able to tell you a year from now exactly where every one of them went o.b.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
This is a stupid discussion.

We all know there is no better ball than the Top Flight XL3000

Oh yes there is. Intech Beta Ti.

From what I find on the courses it would indeed appear as if those are 2 used the most. Funny thing is I have never seen those Intech things sold anywhere.

Funny story about the intech...ok it may only be funny to me. last year Zaphod & I were playing Wildrock in the Dells, fabulous course. Anyways we come to the 15th hole which is a 179 yd forced carry par 3. You either nail the green or your ball sails into a quarry. I was a bit worried about losing a decent ball so I pulled out an Intech I had found somewhere, figured it would make a good sacrificial ball to the golfing gods.

Wouldn't you know it but that damn ball just sailed off the club so nicely & landed on the green as if I had actually planned it. I guarantee if I had used a ProV1 or Callaway or any other premium ball it sure as hell would have found that quarry.

awww.wildrockgolf.com_sites_all_themes_wild_rock_2008_template_images_hole15.png

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
From what I find on the courses it would indeed appear as if those are 2 used the most. Funny thing is I have never seen those Intech things sold anywhere.

Funny story about the intech...ok it may only be funny to me. last year Zaphod & I were playing Wildrock in the Dells, fabulous course. Anyways we come to the 15th hole which is a 179 yd forced carry par 3. You either nail the green or your ball sails into a quarry. I was a bit worried about losing a decent ball so I pulled out an Intech I had found somewhere, figured it would make a good sacrificial ball to the golfing gods.

Wouldn't you know it but that damn ball just sailed off the club so nicely & landed on the green as if I had actually planned it. I guarantee if I had used a ProV1 or Callaway or any other premium ball it sure as hell would have found that quarry.

awww.wildrockgolf.com_sites_all_themes_wild_rock_2008_template_images_hole15.png

I can relate to that quite well. Home course has a hole like that sorta. From the whites its a 175 yard carry, from the Blues its 203, over water. I hit a cheapo ball the 1st time around and nail the green, but it skids off due to lack of backspin. 2nd time around for the back nine I pull out a ProV1 and proceed to feed it to the water monster. Oh well! :D

🔥 Latest posts