• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Claret Jug...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Closest I'll ever get to it...

Taken at Wentworth a couple of years back - Els has a home on the course and the Claret Jug was kept in the clubhouse.
Claret Jug.jpg

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great picture.

Here is my ignorance shining through....Is this the permanent home of the Claret Jug or does it rotate around?

Does the winner of the Open Championship get a replica to keep in his home for a year or maybe a permanent one?

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Bravo said:
Great picture.

Here is my ignorance shining through....Is this the permanent home of the Claret Jug or does it rotate around?

Does the winner of the Open Championship get a replica to keep in his home for a year or maybe a permanent one?

Hi Bravo

If there was a permanent home of the Claret Jug, I'd guess it would be the R&A at St Andrews.

This was at Wentworth courtesy of Els who was happy to have it on public display at what was, in effect, his home course. I believe the winner gets the original for a year.

As for the replica - good question...I don't know!

Anyone else know?

Robert

Jun 3, 2005
I have a question, what happens when they run out of space to write on the jug?

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Robert said:
I have a question, what happens when they run out of space to write on the jug?

:) They add another base...you can see three there already...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Looking again at the photo - I am surprised the Jug is not protected with some sort of electronic alarm system like they have at the Louvre...like - you cannot get within three feet of it without some sort of Austin Powers laser beam cutting you down...I would have thought that the R & A would have gotten MI5 to provide some sort of security detail...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Most professional sports have a replica that is an exact copy of the original for every year, updated to exactly match that year's trophy. They then keep the original in the Hall of Fame or housed at the Regulatory groups premise, like the home of the PGA or Royal, depending on the trophy of course.

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Rockford35 said:
Most professional sports have a replica that is an exact copy of the original for every year, updated to exactly match that year's trophy. They then keep the original in the Hall of Fame or housed at the Regulatory groups premise, like the home of the PGA or Royal, depending on the trophy of course.

R35

Yeah this is what I expected too.

But you know - this is probably the oldest recognized professional trophy in all of sports - so since its the Granddaddy of them all - I am sure that they are happy with whatever way they do it...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:

R35

I think the Stanley Cup might be the exception to this rule??? I know they have one at the HHOF in Toronto, but I thought the players got to take the actual cup with them for a weekend.

Martin St Louis and John LeClair (UVM alma mater) both brought the CUP to Burlingotn for show. Am wondering if that was a replica???

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
VtDivot said:
I think the Stanley Cup might be the exception to this rule??? I know they have one at the HHOF in Toronto, but I thought the players got to take the actual cup with them for a weekend.

Martin St Louis and John LeClair (UVM alma mater) both brought the CUP to Burlingotn for show. Am wondering if that was a replica???

As a european with an interest in "minority" sports :D , I gotta say the Stanley Cup is possibly the last trophy on earth that you'd attempt a smash and grab at .. :biglol:

Tho I seem to remember a mofo trophy in a golf turney possibly USPGA or Dubai Classic

🔥 Latest posts