• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Force Awakens...

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The bag has been rebuilt a bit this week with the arrivals of the Hopkins Wedges, Adams Hybrids, and the new experiment for the driver slot.

Several years ago at one of the PGA Merchandise shows in Orlando when all the square headed clubs were being released, I ran into a Simpac Golf 11* fairway wood (square of course). In the hitting bays at the show I was crushing the 11* fairway both off the tee and the deck. Unfortunately, it was prototype only and never made available to the general public as far as I am aware. 7 years or so later, I am not even sure the company still exists so finding one is essentially impossible.

Apparently, in my absence from the game, some of the more mainstream OEM's starting offering some 3 Woods with lower lofts and my holy grail club is now being produced in small numbers. After a search, I found what I hope to be my driver replacement in the TEE XCG7 #3 11.5* fairway wood.

Bad driver play drove me away from the game 6 years ago, and so far it has not been any better in my return. It is time for a change. The TEE XCG7 will primarily be used as my driver replacement. I do not have visions of using it off the deck, but if needed, it sure will be easier to use than a driver off the deck. It will probably be giving up a little bit of distance compared to a well hit driver, but those good driver hits are few and far between for me. Not sure if it is the change of swing or length of shaft, but whatever is messing up my consistency with the big club is not getting better. I am hoping to find that magic that I once had with that 11* FW many moons ago. This club should be more consistent off the tee than the driver and allow me to play a better round of golf by playing closer to the center of the fairway.
image.jpg
image.jpg

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
The bag has been rebuilt a bit this week with the arrivals of the Hopkins Wedges, Adams Hybrids, and the new experiment for the driver slot.

Several years ago at one of the PGA Merchandise shows in Orlando when all the square headed clubs were being released, I ran into a Simpac Golf 11* fairway wood (square of course). In the hitting bays at the show I was crushing the 11* fairway both off the tee and the deck. Unfortunately, it was prototype only and never made available to the general public as far as I am aware. 7 years or so later, I am not even sure the company still exists so finding one is essentially impossible.

Apparently, in my absence from the game, some of the more mainstream OEM's starting offering some 3 Woods with lower lofts and my holy grail club is now being produced in small numbers. After a search, I found what I hope to be my driver replacement in the TEE XCG7 #3 11.5* fairway wood.

Bad driver play drove me away from the game 6 years ago, and so far it has not been any better in my return. It is time for a change. The TEE XCG7 will primarily be used as my driver replacement. I do not have visions of using it off the deck, but if needed, it sure will be easier to use than a driver off the deck. It will probably be giving up a little bit of distance compared to a well hit driver, but those good driver hits are few and far between for me. Not sure if it is the change of swing or length of shaft, but whatever is messing up my consistency with the big club is not getting better. I am hoping to find that magic that I once had with that 11* FW many moons ago. This club should be more consistent off the tee than the driver and allow me to play a better round of golf by playing closer to the center of the fairway.
View attachment 26371 View attachment 26372

....and with the i10s in the bag, you get to keep your PING card! :)

Let us know how that works off the tee.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
....and with the i10s in the bag, you get to keep your PING card! :)

Let us know how that works off the tee.
i10's holding their place in the bag until i30's come out and get tested.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
i10's holding their place in the bag until i30's come out and get tested.

I want to get my hands on one of those PING Rapture Mini-Drivers but they're cost-prohibitive new........and sadly, I have yet to see a used one at a reasonable price. I am such a cheap bastard.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I want to get my hands on one of those PING Rapture Mini-Drivers but they're cost-prohibitive new........and sadly, I have yet to see a used one at a reasonable price. I am such a cheap bastard.
Is the new ping rapture fairway wood considered the mini driver?

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Is the new ping rapture fairway wood considered the mini driver?

Yes. It has a larger head (219cc), lower loft and is titanium.

The PING Rapture fairway wood is designed for players that want another option off the tee to replace their driver. The 2014 Rapture has a tungsten sole plate in the 8-1-1 titanium head to move the center of gravity (CG) lower for a higher launch angle and lower spin rates that result in increased distance. The face is taller than a traditional fairway wood, making it more suitable for hitting off the tee and uses variable-thickness to enlarge the hitting area. The Rapture fairway wood is available with a loft of 13º, but is adjustable +/-0.5º. The TFC 949 shaft has a high balance point that increases energy transfer at impact for faster ball speeds and improved distance.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Will also watch the price of those with interest

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The TEE XCG7 was $99.99 new at RBG. My version of the mini driver:D

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have this PING thing........it's chronic..........:oops:
Have you ever hit a TEE fairway? Best fairway on the planet, there is no substitute. I have a G10 4 wood I used for a while and liked it, but when I found a deal on a CB4 4W there was no decision required. TEE's can be prohibitively expensive when released, but you can get some great deals on close outs unlike Ping. I have two in my bag now and paid $150 for them combined New, still in plastic.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Have you ever hit a TEE fairway? Best fairway on the planet, there is no substitute. I have a G10 4 wood I used for a while and liked it, but when I found a deal on a CB4 4W there was no decision required. TEE's can be prohibitively expensive when released, but you can get some great deals on close outs unlike Ping. I have two in my bag now and paid $150 for them combined New, still in plastic.

I have this PING thing.............it's chronic.............

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have this PING thing.............it's chronic.............
But not with your Hybrid apparently.....

Once you hit a TEE fairway you will be forever changed.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online