• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Great Gun Debate

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I would like to make this suggestion.

Lets embrace firearms in this country. Lets start teaching kids about guns at a young age. Lets arm teachers. You want to be the person in charge of our children? Prove you can protect them. Lets make guns as every day as pants.

Lets let every person that thinks they can prey on children at a school, Know that they're going to run into trained professionals with guns in every room of that school.

Think guns breed violence? Ill bet you everything I own that guns have nothing to do with violence. Lack of respect breeds violence.

No respect for others, no respect for parents, no respect for life, no respect for society, no respect for guns. Bring respect back to this country and the violence rates will plummet. Get parents to start teaching these kids to respect them, respect themselves, respect everyone.

I know Im nuts...whatever.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
As long as we remove marriage all together from the federal government and revamp our tax system so that marriage is not a benefit, then ok.
Marriage shouldn't ever have been government involved. Its a religious event, should be completely separate from the government.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
If this guy didn't have access to a gun those kids would be alive, plain and simple.

And if he wasn't born this would have happened, and if lots of things happened this wouldn't have happened. Millions of guns out there. Guess who turns in guns after a ban? Guys like you and me. People who will never commit a crime with them. Guess who won't, guys that will. So now they have a target rich environment and now they know nobody is going to fight back.

Not the type of environment i want to live in.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
If this guy didn't have access to a gun those kids would be alive, plain and simple.
Banning guns wouldn't have prevented him from getting guns if he wanted them. Gun bans would only affect law abiding citizens. Going into every household, garage, shed, and digging up yards by force and doing that repeatedly would be the only way to effectively take away guns. And they still wouldn't get them all. Not only would that violate the right to bear arms... it'd violate lots of other rights as well. On top of that it'd trigger a revolution in a heartbeat.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Banning guns wouldn't have prevented him from getting guns if he wanted them. Gun bans would only affect law abiding citizens. Going into every household, garage, shed, and digging up yards by force and doing that repeatedly would be the only way to effectively take away guns. And they still wouldn't get them all. Not only would that violate the right to bear arms... it'd violate lots of other rights as well. On top of that it'd trigger a revolution in a heartbeat.
With what Im seeing these days, as long as people think the government is going to take care of them, they would give up every right humans have and do it gladly.
Sad state of affairs and probably why we're having this discussion in the first place.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Also, although I do disagree with some of you, I do consider all of you friends and don't want you to think anything different.

There is common ground here. I just don't think banning guns is it.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
With what Im seeing these days, as long as people think the government is going to take care of them, they would give up every right humans have and do it gladly.
Sad state of affairs and probably why we're having this discussion in the first place.
My wife and I were just talking about that E. We're there man. People want this. They don't realize or even care what super shady $hit our gov. has done/is doing. It's the reason Ron Paul retired from congress and is aiming his efforts at young people at college campuses... because the majority of a couple generations are gone. The responsible self respecting citizen is almost extinct.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
More and more though I am leaning towards banning all handguns and assault type weapons. Hunt? No problem. Shoot trap or clay pigeons? Go for it. No more handguns or assault weapons though, I'm done being ok with it.

Who or what determines a gun to be an assualt weapon? Is it magazine capacity, caliper, looks? Hell just based on looks and capacity my little Mossberg .22 tactical would fall under the assault weapon banner. A 12 gauge would make a hell of an assault weapon as well, fast and easy to reload and puts out a hell of a punch.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Who or what determines a gun to be an assualt weapon? Is it magazine capacity, caliper, looks? Hell just based on looks and capacity my little Mossberg .22 tactical would fall under the assault weapon banner. A 12 gauge would make a hell of an assault weapon as well, fast and easy to reload and puts out a hell of a punch.
Yup, assault weapon is a made up term and the vast majority of people in this country know so little about guns they wouldn't know your 22 from a true select fire military weapon. Yet they're the ones that think they know what's best on the gun front. Doesn't make sense.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Yup, assault weapon is a made up term and the vast majority of people in this country know so little about guns they wouldn't know your 22 from a true select fire military weapon. Yet they're the ones that think they know what's best on the gun front. Doesn't make sense.

That's exactly it, any weapon used to assault someone could be considered an assault weapon. Like I asked who or what determines that imaginary line in the sand? Would my Ruger with the 15rd mag be considered one? How's about if I use the 10 rd mag instead?

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I now realise that you're too blinkered in your views to even consider change, even change that the rest of the world knows would be for the better. This is highlighted by the use of the sentence "regardless of the facts". What else is worth considering more than facts and evidence? Tradition and stubbornness?

Using the "guns are out there already so determined idiots will always get hold of one when they want " argument doesn't cut it either because you're not thinking about the long term gain of banning guns, for the sake of shock value you are only thinking what it could possibly be like immediately after a ban. Is it not logical that reduced access to guns reduces gun related crimes?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
And if he wasn't born this would have happened, and if lots of things happened this wouldn't have happened. Millions of guns out there. Guess who turns in guns after a ban? Guys like you and me. People who will never commit a crime with them. Guess who won't, guys that will. So now they have a target rich environment and now they know nobody is going to fight back.

Not the type of environment i want to live in.
This guy was a law abiding citizen until he wasn't and then got a gun.

If that gun wasn't available to him, these kids would be alive today.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
We are a gun obsessed country. We hide behind the 2nd amendment as the catch all to have as little gun control as possible.

I ask this: how's that working so far?

How many shootings have there been just this year that made national headlines? Each one of those shooters was a law abiding citizen using a legally obtained gun, correct?

So where were all these vigilant law abiding gun owners who "need" to carry so they can protect good from evil when those shootings occurred?

We have tried letting everybody own, hasn't worked out to well. When a child misbehaves, we take away privileges. I think it's now time to start taking away gun privileges.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I now realise that you're too blinkered in your views to even consider change, even change that the rest of the world knows would be for the better. This is highlighted by the use of the sentence "regardless of the facts". What else is worth considering more than facts and evidence? Tradition and stubbornness?

Using the "guns are out there already so determined idiots will always get hold of one when they want " argument doesn't cut it either because you're not thinking about the long term gain of banning guns, for the sake of shock value you are only thinking what it could possibly be like immediately after a ban. Is it not logical that reduced access to guns reduces gun related crimes?

Why can there be no middle ground with you? It's either all out ban or nothing. We do need change in some ways, but we don't necessarily need to be like the UK. You don't seem to be able to except the fact that there is no magic fairy that sprinkle some pixie dust and make it so that guns never existed. So.... since they do exist, and the fabric of our nation was stitched in such a fashion that the citizens have arms. It would be a monumental catastrophe to attempt to take guns away. Don't you get that?

One change that needs to happen is that the NRA needs to put as much effort into working with people and organizations on gun safety and a safe responsible gun culture as they do simply lobbying for people to have arms. Their actions in this manner resemble warnings on cigarette packs... they do what they have to to say they are for gun safety, but they are a lot more about pushing their agenda and lobbying.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
We are a gun obsessed country. We hide behind the 2nd amendment as the catch all to have as little gun control as possible.

I ask this: how's that working so far?

How many shootings have there been just this year that made national headlines? Each one of those shooters was a law abiding citizen using a legally obtained gun, correct?

So where were all these vigilant law abiding gun owners who "need" to carry so they can protect good from evil when those shootings occurred?

We have tried letting everybody own, hasn't worked out to well. When a child misbehaves, we take away privileges. I think it's now time to start taking away gun privileges.

Yes, because when a couple teens get grounded, every citizen in the states gets grounded right? when one person is arrested for drunk driving everyone gets their license revoked? No as I've been saying you punish the one who was misbehaving. We don't blame the alcohol, we don't blame the car, blame and punish the person. Why is this any different? Because people have been brainwashed into believing guns are the problem.

🔥 Latest posts