1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Great Gun Debate

Discussion in 'No Golf For You!' started by eclark53520, Sep 25, 2009.

1. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

United States United States
    Your right. I don't believe gun regulations will stop much of anything and it will serve only to disarm the law abiding citizens of this country, who aren't the issue anyway.

As for your car situation, can you remind me which one of the constitutional amendments gives you the right to own or drive a vehicle?

I don't need to lay out every reasonable use of a magazine. You and I both know that's completely ridiculous. What exactly does that solve?

The root problem here is people, stop people from killing people. banning or restricting magazines or weapons won't stop that. Lets focus on the root problem not the symptoms.

2. eclark53520

That's fine. You have every right to that opinion.

3. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Until a cure is found we treat symptoms. True, guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

4. eclark53520

Not when treating the symptom kills the host.

5. Dogfish Head

Dogfish Head Well-Known Member TEA is my HERO

Admin Post
    No one is taking away your right to own a gun. I can not fathom how you can deduct that from what I stated. You have the right to bear arms. You can not buy a full automatic machine gun without going through a more extensive process. That is all people are asking for guns like the Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum.

6. eclark53520

All people want is as much as the other side will give.

Im not sure what part of shall not be infringed this country doesn't understand.

7. Dogfish Head

Admin Post
    Your rights are not being infringed on by tougher regulation of guns. Your right to buy one will still exist under everything I have talked about. The problem is your lack of trust in the system which is prohibiting any progress in discussion about positive changes.

8. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

The magazine size limit is pointless. You can swap a magazine in seconds.

9. Dogfish Head

Admin Post
    It is not pointless at all. 2 rounds in a shotgun is far less deadly than someone firing a 20 round drum of buckshot.

10. eclark53520

I disagree. I feel the problem is the lack of focus on the real problem at hand. Guns are an easy scapegoat.

11. Dogfish Head

Admin Post
    Me too. Call your Senators and Representatives and let them know that the War on Drugs is a failure and that it only breeds violence that almost always results in the use of a firearm.

12. eclark53520

I completely agree.

13. Dogfish Head

Admin Post
    Progress!

14. EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer Talks a good game

I wonder how obnoxious someone would have to be before the pro gun lot would consider using it. I mean if they were right up in your face telling you how wrong you are, how ignorant, how stubborn and how simple minded you appear. Just imagine it, they're getting all animated about it - but not in a threatening way. Imagine your friends were there too and this person just talked over you every time you tried to make your counter argument. And what if they even pushedyou physically ?

I think that if it was on your hip and some mouthy Piers Morgan-like gobsh1te was embarrassing you, then you'dbe considering it .

Personally I'd be considering punching them in the face, but that would be the worst and most violent thing that I could consider let alone do. Unfortunately in life there are a huge number of morons, but what's even worse is that many of them have guns.

15. eclark53520

This post is completely ridiculous.

16. zaphod

zaphod Well-Known Member

Wow-----Zaphod has not visited this site in quite a while.....The gun debate still rages....Twilight zone...Time stands still.

Anyway Zaphod's $.02.

The most precious thing for Zaphod is personal liberty.
    Zaphod is quite fortunate to be created and reside within a country in which Zaphod's follow citizens also hold liberty exalted. However the price Zaphod pays is quite dear. Zaphod can not lock up those who Zaphod MIGHT fear. Recognition of some form of self preservation is paramount. Zaphod's primary brain has self preservation genetically embedded deep within.

Some live in gated communities, some concealed carry, some choose to live within the perceived dangers unarmed etc.

The point is the more personal freedom we desire the more freedom we give to others. Potentially dangerous others!!!! The restrictions heaped foisted upon others are the very choices heaped upon ourselves.

Gun legislation that will remain relevant must reflect the MORALITY of the super majority. Until peer pressure reaches a critical mass the weapon laws on the books, like an unpopular posted speed limit , are ignored. Rationalization will prevail.

Zaphod owns six hunting guns and pistols.
    Zaphod lives in a rural situation. Zaphod generally has a belief of good in people. Zaphod is quite at ease. HOWEVER the situations of others is not as pleasant. Real or not, the perceived dangers drive others to different life choices.

Zaphod hopes that those who fear others and MAY react to threats in a deadly fashion, have already thought through the actions of self preservation. Those actions are not revokable. Zaphod uses the Zimmerman case as an example. Justified shooting...maybe as events acted out by each party were perceived as counter threats ....but could that situation have been defused by a particular party thoughtfully reflecting weeks prior to conducting an armed patrol. With great power comes great responsibility. Zaphod telepathically gave that line to Stan Lee.

IS ZAPHOD'S PRECONCEPTION THE EARTH MUST BE CLEANSED CORRECT?

Is Zaphod willing to fatally judge the actions of others?The decision to procure a weapon requires both sides of the equation must be carefully self evaluated. If we all seriously consider that question then Zaphod would allow grenades, RPG's, Star Trek phasers etc to be authorized household items. Nuclear and Biological weapons would require specialized training A world wide super majority consent for each request. Lots of red tape included.:cool: Until then Zaphod recognizes individual choice.

WHY IS EVERYONE CRAZY BUT ZAPHOD.

The argument of compulsory diagnosis and treatment of mental illness is loaded with liberty/safety tensions. Until a satisfactory methodology of societal destructive mental abnormality diagnosis that is true and predictive,rather than reactionary, is developed individuals with thought processes that are not within the general public's sense of normal MUST be tolerated. ASK " does the plurality trample upon the minority within a liberty oriented society. Is that true liberty or simply a rationalized totalitarianism?

Choose Wisely.

Somewhere in the discussion the media was question....
    Zaphod is in agreement with the earthling named Ben Franklin. When given the choice of Democracy or Freedom of the Press, Zaphod chooses the latter.

Re reading this post Zaphod's conclusion is RON PAUL has many things right. A Epiphany for Zaphod. :cool:

ZAPHOD REQUESTS RESPONSES
    ZAPHOD IS ALWAYS TRYING TO REFINE ZAPHOD'S BELIEF SYSTEM. PLEASE. THIS IS YOUR SHOT AT HELPING ZAPHOD TO EVOLVE FROM AN ARGUABLY CUTE MARTIAN EMPERUS INTO HOMO SAPIENS.

PLEASE NOTE THE SELF PORTRAIT OF ZAPHOD'S AVATAR. WHAT IS IN ZAPHOD'S HAND????

17. Dogfish Head

Admin Post
    Well that was interesting. I voted for Ron Paul but find some of his ideas far out there. I mostly voted for him because I considered him honest and caring person. I would have liked to see what he could have done with the current congress.

18. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

See, you're still a newb... you don't know Zaphod.

I am and will be a part of the Ron Paul revolution. I don't think his ideas are far out at all... it's everyone else that's far out. I voted Libertarian (which is pretty much what Ron Paul is).

19. zaphod

zaphod Well-Known Member

dogfish...ZAPHOD has been here awhile. WarbirdLover, Sssmokin, Mike1243 (Jake), WiGolfer, ETC formed the first three Wisconsin SHOTTALK OPENS. ZAPHOD lurks in central Wisconsin 20 miles north of Wisconsin Dells.

Zaphods presumes Milwaukee/Racine has survived the exodus of WBL (JERRY). I have not talked to him in ages. Also miss Jeff4i. Assume he still exists in New Mexico. eClark is Zaphod's rock. His opinions and posts always interesting. Zaphod met Clark at 1st Erin Glen open.

20. zaphod

zaphod Well-Known Member

Dogfish.....Thanks for the interesting comment. That's what Zaphod was looking for. Discussion, musing amongst a round table of robust opinion.