• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Great Gun Debate

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
And, in all seriousness, what is a legitimate use of an automatic weapon? Can I compete with one? Can I hunt with one? I have no desire to simply shoot one for fun (although I realize others might).

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'll make one more example of how this can get twisted:

I have every right to run my clunker of a car into your brand new F150. There's no actual law against it, I simply have to pay for it through my insurance company, and you have to be fairly compensated. So, let's say you piss me off (which, btw, you haven't). I decide to "accidentally" slam into your truck when it's parked and no one is in it. Now, no one is hurt, the damage gets fixed, you get a rental while it's in the shop, so no harm, right? Wrong. Your truck will never be worth as much money, and in reality I paid virtually no penalty ($250 deductible, and my insurance doesn't fault me for accidents due to longevity). I might get a ticket, but it's just a fine, and a lot of times the ticket is dropped. I had every right to do this to you (providing I'm willing to compensate you), but was it right that I did? Would you really walk away from that situation feeling like I had every right to do that?

I think the "it's my right" mentality is a very slippery slope, especially if it's carte blanche with no consideration for right and wrong.

I realize that's an odd example. But, all I'm saying is "it's my right, why can't I do it if I want to?".
Please cite where in the constitution it gives you the right to damage other peoples property? Regardless of whether or not you pay for it, that's not a right.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
In one breath anti gun legislators say rights should be regulated. The very next breath they say you can't regulate rights.

Im not sure how to make it any more clear than that.

You said you've never heard of that argument from anyone else, i just showed you one very obvious example of it.
I guess I hadn't heard that, our rights are regulated all the time.

I have heard legislators say that we can't legislate morality.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I am curious also. Besides the right to own a military grade weapon, why do people own them? I hear they are not accurate enough to compete with.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Only one or two are saying that in this thread. I agree and support the right to own a gun, just not as easily as it is today to buy certain ones.

extrapolate the numbers outward, only a couple in this thread which is just teeny tiny spot means there are millions just like that who want nothing more than to remove every single gun from it's owner.

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
extrapolate the numbers outward, only a couple in this thread which is just teeny tiny spot means there are millions just like that who want nothing more than to remove every single gun from it's owner.

and then there are millions more that support the NRA's stance that nothing needs to change, at all. Goes both ways. Which is the trend in this country. Divided we are due to our current process of choosing the people that represent us.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Divided we are due to our current process of choosing the people that represent us.

We have no choice when it comes to choosing the people who represent us. It's a good ole boys club and has been for a long long time. Did anyone actually want Bush jr as President? or Romney or even McCain as a candidate? How in the hell do evil people like Pelosi or Harry Reid stay in their positions other than they exercise their political muscle? Nobody with half an ounce of common sense and morality would want anything to do with people like that.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I actually only liked this post for the use of the word extrapolate, but you also have a point.

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
We have no choice when it comes to choosing the people who represent us. It's a good ole boys club and has been for a long long time. Did anyone actually want Bush jr as President? or Romney or even McCain as a candidate? How in the hell do evil people like Pelosi or Harry Reid stay in their positions other than they exercise their political muscle? Nobody with half an ounce of common sense and morality would want anything to do with people like that.

I liked John McCain before he sold his soul to the GOP to get the nomination in 2008 and then chose the worst Vice Presidential candidate ever. I despised George Bush Jr for how he treated McCain in 2000 primaries.

Gerrymandering and lack of control over campaign finances have us where we are today.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I liked John McCain before he sold his soul to the GOP to get the nomination in 2008 and then chose the worst Vice Presidential candidate ever. I despised George Bush Jr for how he treated McCain in 2000 primaries.

Gerrymandering and lack of control over campaign finances have us where we are today.

I would like to throw is lobbying as well which i think should be 100% illegal as all it amounts to is buying votes. Add in term limits for every single elected position from crossing guard up to president as well.

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
I would like to throw is lobbying as well which i think should be 100% illegal as all it amounts to is buying votes. Add in term limits for every single elected position from crossing guard up to president as well.

Agreed on both accounts.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online