• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Home Course (pics)

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Went out and took pics of all 18 holes of my home course today. I won't bore you with trying to show all the pics; but will post a couple of the more interesting ones. The total yardage is 6,737 from the white tees; and the slope rating is 135 from the whites.

This is our #7.... Dogleg right...Par 4...410 yds from the white tees. It is rated as the #5 handicap hole on the course. Some locals would disagree with that; and affectionately refer to it as the "Sumbitch".
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000074.jpg

Photo from the white tee box. Picture doesn't show it; but the creek follows the cart path and crosses the fairway in front of the elevated tee box. Tee shot must carry the creek and end up in the landing area shown. You don't want to be too far right since the entire landing area slopes toward the creek. The second shot must carry the creek again when shooting for the green from the landing area.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000075.jpg

This photo is taken from the tee shot landing area. The green is only 10-15 yards right of the creek which must be flown again on the second shot. It is significant to note that the second shot doesn't offer a perpendicular crossing of the creek; but rather an angular (almost parallel) crossing. A shot that is short or pulled left will end up in the creek. The picture doesn't show it very well; but if you are too far right on this shot you will land on large flat sheets of surface granite rock which will tend to ricochet your ball deep into the woods. When this happens, it is not unusual to hear guys loudly call the hole by name....Sumbitch!!!

This is #16...Dogleg left...Par 5...515 yards from the white tees...rated as the 4th most difficult hole on the course. The entire length of the fairway is bordered by a large lake on the left; and heavy woods on the right. Two water carries are required on this hole. The tee shot must carry a portion of the lake to land on the fairway; and finally, at the far end of the fairway, the dogleg left approach shot requires carrying the opposite tip of the lake to land on the green.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000093.jpg

The tee shot must cross this end of the lake to land on the fairway. Big hitters will normally aim left of the cedar tree at the edge of the lake in the foreground; others will aim to the right of the tree. As you can see, the angle of the shot is such that anything other than a perfect shot to the fairway can get into a lot of trouble immediately. It is not uncommon for golfers to hit into the water or woods on the first shot; and then overcompensate and lose the ball in the opposite manner on the next shot from the tee. The green is barely out of the picture, to the left, at the far end of the lake.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000094.jpg

Those who are long off the tee will end up in this general area; and may try for the green from here on their second shot. It is not a high percentage shot, though. The distance is 200-210 to carry the water. Since the green is fairly narrow, those that do carry the water will often fail to check-up on the green and end up in the woods behind the green. Most golfers will not attempt this shot and will try to place their second shot in the position shown in the last picture. As you can see the end of the lake has narrowed into a small tributary by this point. You can also see that the green is very narrow from this angle, bordered by water in the front, and woods to the rear. There is no guarantee of GIR even from this position.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000095_1.jpg

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Awesome looking course twogreen, love the look of that 16th. A well designed golf hole in my opinion. Nice pics

I play golf

Aug 11, 2007
Looks like a good looking course, just the fairway needs to be cut a little shorter.

Also, if you took pics of the whole course...why only show just two holes? cmon show us some more! :)

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Looks like a good looking course, just the fairway needs to be cut a little shorter.

Also, if you took pics of the whole course...why only show just two holes? cmon show us some more! :)

I picked a bad day to take pictures...they have kinda slacked off on the mowing during the recent stretch of 100 degree temps. The grounds keeper mentioned that they don't want to stress the grass.

I thought you would never ask :laugh:.......I'll try to get a few more pics posted tomorrow....well, really, later today.:eek:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Two very cool golf holes there. I imagine #16 brings lots of folks to their knees. No rest for the weary on that hole! And "Sumbitch" does look like a real tester as well.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. I'll check out the other pics as well. Makes me realize why this game will never get old. Every course brings new and different challenges. It's like facing a different "opponent" every time you play a new one.

Members online