• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The most irritating man in the world

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
has got to be Chris Berman. I can barely watch the US open because of this jerk-off and his inane babble. Why on earth do they have him on the telecast? Who the hell is being paid (and I assume handsomely) to make such asinine decisions?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ground control to David Toms.

He's a local boy, graduated from Brown University, which is about 1.2 miles from my doorstep.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I absolutely agree. Just let Tirico and Strange handle it for ESPN.

It's TGC all year, then you get to a major, and you have these guys that never handle golf anymore. Berman is A-1 on that list.

Scott Van Pelt is a lot less than enthusiastic. He escaped TGC to become a "big deal" on ESPN. Now he's back covering golf. He's unlistenable also.

But not as bad as Berman.

Quotes such as, "Out of the rough, he sucked that Back, Back, Back..." ish. This is our National Championship. Can he skip the hokey highlight vernacular for 2 days? I guess not.

Going from Berman to Johnny Miller is going to ruin this Open for me. I'm already looking forward to the British.

Peter Alliss is still alive, right? :beach3:

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
hi year I'm watching the coverage on ESPN Latinamerica which mean I have some great commentators in Spanish and can avoid Berman who I agree is one of the biggest dick-heads in the golf industry...

It's amazing to see how everyone complains about him but still he keeps his spot in there...

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Boomer covers football just fine... Golf... meh... no thanks. Actually ESPN's coverage overall just sucks IMO...

RVGolfer

Stuck in the 80's
Apr 12, 2009
Wow, I thought ESPN's coverage was pretty good.
1. WAY fewer commercials
2. All the announcers could correctly speak the English language and pronounce their R's and T's.
Refreshing actually....

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Ground control to David Toms.

That was the one that put me over the edge. Luckily I dont own a handgun or I would have Elvis'd my freaking TV.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Agreed, Berman sucks donkey balls when it comes to golf commentary. I think I counted at least 3 times that he used a "Goose Gossage" analogy when commenting on the "Goooooooooooooose" calls coming from the gallery when Retief was playing.

His schtick has gotten a bit old, IMO.

However, I combated the problem by using Direct TV's interactive feature, which allowed me to follow that 3-some (Goosen, Michelson, and Els) w/o the annoying Berman commentary.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one that can't stand Berman.

Actually I was glad to see Tirico and Strange back together, I always like ABC's broadcast team for those 2 reasons.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
has got to be Chris Berman. I can barely watch the US open because of this jerk-off and his inane babble. Why on earth do they have him on the telecast? Who the hell is being paid (and I assume handsomely) to make such asinine decisions?

I have an 'All Douche Bag Commentator Team':

1. Bob Costas(having had the misfortune of sitting next to him about 15 years ago on a flight out of JFK....this guy has an ego inversely proportionate to his height of about 4'11")His golf commentary for my taste is blazee at best.
2. Jimmy Roberts - have yet to hear anything relevant to anything come out of his mouth
3. Gary McCord - trying to catch up to David Feherty and losing ground
4. Mark Rolfing - about as insightful as a box of tack hammers

My dream team is: Tirico, Melnyk, Venturi, Murphy, Whitaker....and Feherty for a little spice. Although Tirico doesn't have a competitive playing background, he is certainly knowledgeable and knows when to shut up and let a player-commentator speak, something Nantz still hasn't grasped. Yes, I know he was Fred Couples roommate at Houston, but that is about the pinnacle of his golf career. Ken Venturi was just awesome....miss his commentary. CBS lost out big time when he retired.

Oh well, we are all entitled to our favs and those are mine. I actually watch most of the CBS coverage on mute when Nantz gets in his quote mode and can't be quiet.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Wow, that is a D-bag team for sure. MCcord is so forced he makes me cringe. The rest are just dull beyond words.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wow, that is a D-bag team for sure. MCcord is so forced he makes me cringe. The rest are just dull beyond words.

I like Tirico, Nantz is ok. Faldo I really am 50/50 on him. Alot of people seem to like him- I could take him or leave him. I liked Azinger. I liked Lanny Wadkins too mainly because he would make some funny statements every now and then- like "when the sun goes down, it gets a little darker." Pure gold.

Feherty makes every show better and I like Peter Kostis too...

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I like Feherty, Maltby, Oosty, and Miller. The rest I can do without.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
A Chris Berman Photo Essay

I find Berman to be tiresome with golf too but I think he's okay with team sports and in smaller doses. As an anchorman on ESPN I always kind of liked him but like any schtick it gets old in large doses.

What Berman should be doing...

awebtoo.net_golf_images_berman_ap.jpg

What Berman should NOT be doing... :laugh:

awebtoo.net_golf_images_ShootOut_ChrisBerman.jpg

Sometimes it's good to be Chris Berman... :laugh:

awebtoo.net_golf_images_chris_berman_party_animal.jpg

I have an 'All Douche Bag Commentator Team':

1. Bob Costas(having had the misfortune of sitting next to him about 15 years ago on a flight out of JFK....this guy has an ego inversely proportionate to his height of about 4'11")His golf commentary for my taste is blazee at best.
2. Jimmy Roberts - have yet to hear anything relevant to anything come out of his mouth
3. Gary McCord - trying to catch up to David Feherty and losing ground
4. Mark Rolfing - about as insightful as a box of tack hammers

My dream team is: Tirico, Melnyk, Venturi, Murphy, Whitaker....and Feherty for a little spice. Although Tirico doesn't have a competitive playing background, he is certainly knowledgeable and knows when to shut up and let a player-commentator speak, something Nantz still hasn't grasped. Yes, I know he was Fred Couples roommate at Houston, but that is about the pinnacle of his golf career. Ken Venturi was just awesome....miss his commentary. CBS lost out big time when he retired.

Oh well, we are all entitled to our favs and those are mine. I actually watch most of the CBS coverage on mute when Nantz gets in his quote mode and can't be quiet.

Pretty good choices I think. Nantz gets on my nerves after a while though. Venturi too.

I like Feherty, Maltby, Oosty, and Miller. The rest I can do without.

I could definitely live with that group. A lot of people hate Miller but I like that he says what's on his mind and to hell with what everyone else thinks. I also think Oosty is very underrated and I never get tired of him.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I can handle Miller when he isn't on his "I love Tiger" kick.

A minute ago Tiger powered a putt through the break, but Miller says, "he hit it so pure it just didn't want to take the break", WTF? He friggin hit it too hard and rolled it through the break. The ball came to rest 2 feet past the hole. Are they afraid to say he didn't hit it just perfect?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.