1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Putting Thread

Discussion in 'Hacker's Anonymous' started by TheTrueReview, Aug 13, 2018.

?

Rate your skill with the flat stick

1. It's my favorite club 'cos I'm a "playa"

35.7%
  2. With more practise, I'd be a good putter

14.3%
  3. 50/50

21.4%
  4. It feels like an electric eel in my hands

14.3%
  5. What's putting?

14.3%
  1. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    My putting set up at home. Getting more of a workout in these locked down days.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1585865139.828059.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  2. TheTrueReview

Australia Australia
    As someone who gamed anser style putters for years, I’ve been completely won over by my Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 Putter. All of the anser putters have been sold. Heck, I’ve even regripped my Wilson Staff Kirk Currie IV to use as my living room practice putter.
    ImageUploadedByShot Talk1599896028.551140. ImageUploadedByShot Talk1599896041.739273.

3. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

United States United States
    Damn dude, didn't even offer me one of your ansers...for free...including shipping.

What is so much better about the Odyssey besides sinking more putts (which is obviously the ultimate goal)? Feel, weight, confidence?

TheTrueReview likes this.
  4. TheTrueReview

Australia Australia
    Two main features, MC. Firstly it lines up beautifully with the various aids including the lines on the weighted alignment fangs. Secondly, and most importantly) it’s balance. It seems to come into the slot repeatedly (if you can say that about a putter). Miss hits are at a minimum. Consistency of direction repeatedly. The stroke Lab shaft with the carbon insert seems to work. It takes weight out of the shaft to ensure that with the weight at the head and grip doesn’t make the putter too heavy. Definitely more putts being sunk. It’s the favourite club in my bag.

MCDavis likes this.
  5. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Back using a mallet putter. Had bagged the Anser 4's most of the season, with an trial run once in a while with my GoLo or the Cleveland Frontline. I will never be a good putter, but have to be able to make the short putts. I will chip it close or I'll lag a long putt close. Gotta make those 3 to 5 footers. The mallets seem to line up better, but just didn't seem to have the same feel/confidence. The Frontline was produced with a Lamkin hugemongous grip that was, probably, their shot at copying Super Stroke. It was ungodly heavy and you could not feel the putter head. I changed to a Super Stroke which was about half the weight as the Lamkin. Woke the Frontline up. Now the head seems to 'flow' better. It has been working well this past week. Will it continue? If it has the same ability to possess an "attitude" on a moment's notice... I doubt it.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  6. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I'm shopping for a new putter but now certain heads are for "straight" strokes, some are for slight "arc" strokes and then there are some for bigger "arc" strokes. ????????????????? This one is sold out so it must be good and I think it will work with my "straight" stroke. :(:confused::rolleyes:o_O:eek::poop::oops:

HUNTINGTON BEACH SOFT 10.5 PUTTER

7. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

Cleveland putters are way underrated.

ualtim likes this.
  8. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I just bought a TM Ardmore 3. Been using a Toulon #9 style and it feels great but I haven’t made a putt in weeks. Needed a change. Haven’t ever really used a mallet style and it is easy to line up. Came with a super stroke grip which I tend to hate, but I gave it two rounds. Nope. Ripped it off and put a golf pride pistol grip on it. Gonna see how it does this weekend.

limpalong likes this.
  9. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

I am a firm believer in you have to find a grip that 1.) let's you feel the putter head, and 2.) feels right in your hand. I've tried the SS grips on blade putters with zero luck. Currently have SS's on both my mallets, but they aren't "just any" SS. I can't stand the hugemongous SS grips. Heck. You can hardly see the putter head because the grip is so large!! OTOH, SS's are lighter than many oversize grips and I can feel the mallet head better than with heavier grips. IOW... One size doesn't fit all! Hope you get along well with the new putter!

BigJim13 likes this.
  10. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Putted ok with it today, made a putt here and there. My lag putting was a little better. We’ll see how tomorrow goes!