• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The return of Hogan clubs

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Just read an interesting article on WRX that Scor golf will be bringing back the Hogan name and line of clubs in 2015. From what I've read, Scor is gone and they are re branding their wedges under the Hogan name.

No word or pics on what the clubs will look like at this point my hope is that they go back to the classic Hogan look and quality forging. The question with that is will it work in today's market?

As a huge Hogan fan, I have to say I'm excited and skeptical. I'd be even more excited if they brought the Apex shaft back too. It will be interesting to see what % of the market they can carve out!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Just read an interesting article on WRX that Scor golf will be bringing back the Hogan name and line of clubs in 2015. From what I've read, Scor is gone and they are re branding their wedges under the Hogan name.

No word or pics on what the clubs will look like at this point my hope is that they go back to the classic Hogan look and quality forging. The question with that is will it work in today's market?

As a huge Hogan fan, I have to say I'm excited and skeptical. I'd be even more excited if they brought the Apex shaft back too. It will be interesting to see what % of the market they can carve out!
I had a set of the Hogan Apex Edge irons back in the day. The ones the the cavity was progressive throughout the set. Couldn't hit them at all but that was an Indian issue not the arrow. I was a beginner at the time and had no business playing that set. But Hogans are beautiful and I'm intrigued.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I had a set of the Hogan Apex Edge irons back in the day. The ones the the cavity was progressive throughout the set. Couldn't hit them at all but that was an Indian issue not the arrow. I was a beginner at the time and had no business playing that set. But Hogans are beautiful and I'm intrigued.
I've had the Apex Blade (shot my lowest round ever with them), Apex Plus Pro and Apex FTX. Loved them all, can't wait to see the new line.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I read an article that said the new clubs will be forged blades. Like you I wonder if they will be able to hold a share in the market. Lots of people aspire to play blades but only a few have the repeatable swing to enable them to do so.

Last edited:
OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Those Scor wedges look interesting, anyone try one yet?
I have not. From my understanding they are available online and not in stores around me.

They have a cult following and are not a household name like Titleist, TM etc. reviews are good though.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Agreed, just worried that the reviews are too good! I'm going to be looking for a new 56 in early 2015, so would love to try one.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I hope they do well, however, I doubt that will happen.

That name doesn't resonate with a lot of the golfers of today. If they price them high, guaranteed they won't do well. People that spend big money, want big names...Hogan isn't a big name anymore. If they price them low, it will reinforce the idea that they're junk.

Unless they can price themselves right, and include a fantastic marketing scheme, they're toast. IMO.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
This might be the dumbest question of the day, but hasn't Callaway already done this? I thought?? Or was that something different entirely with the Apex name, but I thought that was a Hogan trait?? Hmm... I'm just a little confused, or is it just me?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
This might be the dumbest question of the day, but hasn't Callaway already done this? I thought?? Or was that something different entirely with the Apex name, but I thought that was a Hogan trait?? Hmm... I'm just a little confused, or is it just me?
Callaway owned the Ben Hogan brand and when they sold it to Perry Ellis in 2012 they kept the trademarks for Apex and Edge names.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Callaway owned the Ben Hogan brand and when they sold it to Perry Ellis in 2012 they kept the trademarks for Apex and Edge names.
Yup, they took one more shot and released a set of Apex Blades and cavities and they didn't sell. Now Call ay has taken the Apex name and slapped it in some Cally clubs. Haven't seen a set in person but they don't seem to be my cup of tea.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.