• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Rory McIlroy Discussion Thread

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I just saw that there are pages of Rory threads dating back to 2007. Given he is always in the news, I thought it a good time to try and consolidate discussions about the Irish fellow.

I'll start off. I saw a lovely post on his social media that I wanted to share. It goes like this.

"Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting this great lady, Noreen Murnane at the Travelers Championship. Noreen moved to the United States from Ireland in 1963 but sadly 6 years ago suffered a stroke. Given Noreen's passion for golf she contacted Wish of a Lifetime asking to meet with me. I was honoured to make her wish come true!"

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
HQYyhzF.jpg

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
He was supposed to be the next thing, but has always struggled to keep there unfortunately

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
After the 2nd round in the Scottish Open, Rory is T91 at +1.

His game isn't doing much at the moment. I can't remember his last top ten. I'm sure the media will start talking about the "elephant in the room " soon.

Is Rory the next David Duval?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

His game isn't doing much at the moment. I can't remember his last top ten. I'm sure the media will start talking about the "elephant in the room " soon.

Any number of players out there could end up being the "next Duval". Rory... Day... Spieth... All have been at the top for a short period and then seemed to fall into oblivion. Spieth showed a couple glimmers of hope this year. Day has pretty well tanked as has Rory.
I still wonder if most of these issues turn out to be mental. Even though Day has suffered some physical ailments, is it still a mental issue? A young man in his early 20's suddenly is a multi-millionaire, has guest appearances on major television shows, has a horde of the best looking young ladies in the world throwing themselves at him, and is at the top. Suddenly, every shot you take on the course hits your subconscious like a brick. If I don't make this shot will it all end... and the paralysis through over-analysis sets in. When it was automatic and no real "fear" in the mind, the shots came easy. Once there is that fear of falling, you tend to look down and the head begins to spin.
Hopefully, this is just a case of "sophomoreitis" and we see these guys all come back as strong or stronger than they were when at the top.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country

Here's what he's done this year: 2, T4, T7, T17, T30, T35, T102, and T118.

He's only played a few non bigger tournaments.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Rory drops further in the world rankings. It’ll be an interesting 2018. Others seem to be taking the headlines now.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1511210936.817728.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.