• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The secret of consistent ball-striking!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Am I the only one whose barely understood most of the stuff that onplane has said?

I seem to be having trouble grasping wat your gettin at...
I understand alot of it, unfortunately it may be some time before I can use it or the imagery and see the results behind it, because of the weather. Outside of practicing in the garage. If you use the tee ball example at knee height, and drop the club down to a golf swing, you will find that that your left wrist is pronated in the same position that you hear about in Hogan's Five fundamentals. I play a great deal of my game and my swing based on imagery and swing thought, I only wish I had a chance to try it out earlier in the year. Either way, I have bookmarked the site and have certainly seen enough to give it a shot and see what it does.

Interesting concept for me, thinking of it more in the sense of swinging and using the shaft as the image as opposed to the clubface. That seems like a key to me, if I am wrong I hope to be corrected. I have always concentrated more on the clubface and not the shaft position, so I can't say how it will help without first trying.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
It must be the lack of school during the xmas break cause i dont seem to understand wat the heck u guys are talkin aboot... stupid big words are getting the better of me right now, i need more sleep.

Cliff notes plz?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
It must be the lack of school during the xmas break cause i dont seem to understand wat the heck u guys are talkin aboot... stupid big words are getting the better of me right now, i need more sleep.

Cliff notes plz?
See, my problem is I thing too much about things like this, and score higher than you on the course. That is what I get for trying to instill logic and science into the game of golf. Just be happy with the lower scores and less thinking, you get fewer headaches and better scores. Does that make it clearer. :D

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
See, my problem is I thing too much about things like this, and score higher than you on the course. That is what I get for trying to instill logic and science into the game of golf. Just be happy with the lower scores and less thinking, you get fewer headaches and better scores. Does that make it clearer. :D

Amen! Amen! Amen! This has always been my "problem" to scoring as well. But I thought more about it lately, and it turns out to be one of the major reasons that I love golf. It is a part of my golf game, without it I might score better, but I may not have the passion for the game that I now carry.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Amen! Amen! Amen! This has always been my "problem" to scoring as well. But I thought more about it lately, and it turns out to be one of the major reasons that I love golf. It is a part of my golf game, without it I might score better, but I may not have the passion for the game that I now carry.
... and you won't see me changing any time soon either. It is a big part of what I like about the game. More involved than any other sport I can think of. If I want simple I would go bowling, which I became pretty good at until the technical side became second nature and I quit.

I consider myself a student of the game, whether I become a failure or not remains to be seen and I may be 100 before I find out.

OP
O

onplane

PGA Teaching Professional
Jan 1, 2007
Let me know what you don'y get, and I'll try to explain it a little better.

In short...if you tried to hit a ball at the 2nd baseman standing up, you'd be doing pretty much what a Tour Player does and feels bent over.

Does that make more sense, or should I try another way?

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Baseball eh? Who'd have thought it?

I see what you mean David, I've tried about 100 "swings" indoors and it feels really simple now. I had to use an umbrella though as its 3am here in the UK but it was a welcome distraction from the cricket.

I'm looking forward to trying this out for real. Pressure on the ball is what you are trying to achieve?

PS: Ezra and WBL, the umbrella's not for sale.........

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
See, my problem is I thing too much about things like this, and score higher than you on the course. That is what I get for trying to instill logic and science into the game of golf. Just be happy with the lower scores and less thinking, you get fewer headaches and better scores. Does that make it clearer.
FKA PA Jayhawk

Man, im down for the fewer headaches part:)

Onplane, do you mean the 2nd base thing, its like the batting swing, but just bent over and the plane goes from moreso horizontal (baseball), to moreso vertical?

winders

Sep 23, 2006
"Educated hands" is a little easier. If you had a ping pong paddle in your hand the motion you want to make is side to side, not a twisting one. In a golf swing all that really needs to be done is set the ping pong paddle back on the backswing, and then do NOTHING until after impact.

The hands only make one move (in reality it's a little more but still only feels like one move) until after the ball is struck!!! Pretty simple.
David,

What about releasing the hands? Does this not start well before impact? If I did what you suggest, I would lose distance and have a really big fade....

Scott

Links R Best

Hoylake,UK
Dec 5, 2006
Am I the only one whose barely understood most of the stuff that onplane has said?

I seem to be having trouble grasping wat your gettin at...

No,I'm right there with you.

I think for me its hard to visualise the baseball analogies,as I wasn't brought up on the game over here.
And also I'm one of those players who likes to see things for myself and then try to imitate things,I wouldn't consider myself as a 'technical' golfer more a feel player probably as a result of being self taught.

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
oneplane

Been doing a similar drill and set of things when working on my swing. I am a relatively new golfer, one year playing, and have dropped my scores from 120's to 90's over the last 6 months. Lately, my ball striking has really improved dramatically and I am hopeful that in the next 6 months or so I might start scoring in the 80's.

Basically, I have always had the problem of trying to generate too much power through moving my body, swaying, turning aroudn the body, flipping, you name it - all typical hacker problems. Had some lessons, got rid of some of these problems through alot of hard work, made some progress but something was missing.

Lately, my ballstriking has really improved. Basically, the drill I have been doing, no one taught it to me, to try and get my swing on plane and 'tighten' it up a bit is to stand straight up and down like I was going to hit a baseball. Let my arms hang a bit, so that the biceps are just brushing the edge of my chest and my elbows are slightly in front. From there I bend my arms so the forearm is straight out and the shaft is in line with my right forearm - using a golf grip. Swing the club on horizontal plane moving only the right forearm.

Imagine you want to break someones ribs with the club - now swing it. Immediately, I noticed that if I wanted to do max damage to some one, I wouldn't flip with my wrists and my swing would be mostly with hips and shoulders until I got to the target. I really found doing this drill was great for learning that its the pivot (both hips and shoulders) that have to start the swing to keep it on plane and generate max power. (Its best to do in a room of people you don't like much.)

The other thing I noticed is that if the swing stayed on plane the right bicep rotated but didn't move much from its original position, and that the backswing was just an opening of the right hip and a moving of the right forearm. Also, noticed how small that forearm movement actually is. Once I noticed these things, I really have been able to tighten my swing up considerably.

Basically, to change this to a golf swing all a person has to do is bend from the hips.

Be curious what you think of this.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
David,

What about releasing the hands? Does this not start well before impact? If I did what you suggest, I would lose distance and have a really big fade....

Scott

the hands release as a result of the correct release of power from the body turn,it definately does not start before impact,its after,well after

winders

Sep 23, 2006
the hands release as a result of the correct release of power from the body turn,it definately does not start before impact,its after,well after
dave,

If the hands don't start to release until well after impact, the release did nothing to affect the shot. The release, assuming you did the right thing taking the club back, is what squares the club face at impact and provides additional club head speed.

I just read in Jack Nicklaus' "My Golden Lessons: 100-Plus Ways to Improve Your Shots, Lower Your Scores and Enjoy Golf Much, Much More" that he doesn't think you can start the release soon enough on the downswing. I am sure that is a mild exaggeration, but it makes the point clear.

My Pro is working hard on my release because I do not start the release soon enough on my downswing.

Scott

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Ok,mybe I should have said the FULL release happens after impact,certainly not before as what was asked.Any decision to manipulate the hands during impact is a recipe for disaster.The release snaps through the ball at such speed you can't control it.A fade can be produced by holding off the release,and a draw by letting it go,but these are minute adjustments,created by just thinking these things tbh,nothing more

🔥 Latest posts